Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28677Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2020, 06:10 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #5

Episode: 'The Evil Of The Daleks' - Episode 1 (1967) (i)
Artist: The Seekers
Titles: 'Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen'
Notes:
* Heard in the background on the jukebox when Jamie and The Doctor are in the Tri-Colour cafe
* Originally released on the 1966 7" EP 'Hits From The Seekers'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 6th January 2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 5th January 2020, 09:59 AM
Cult Master

"We are pleased to make 'The Celestial Toyroom Annual 2020' available for download, free-of-charge to all fans. The annual runs to over 100 pages and this time, is about the era of the Third Doctor.

Many people have contributed and we hope you enjoy reading the book.

We will make a limited run hardback copy available in the coming weeks which will help to raise money for 'Save the Children' in memory of Terrance Dicks. "

The Celestial Toyroom Annual 2020 | DWAS Online

"The Celestial Toyroom Annual 2020
Paul Winter (Co-ordinator) on January 4th, 2020

DWAS is pleased to make the CT Annual 2020 available to all as a free download.

The file is about 12mb and has been scanned by Symantec in order to ensure it is virus-free. However if in doubt you are advised to scan the file yourself prior to opening.

The annual is available in two versions - single page to a view (good for tablets) and as a two page spread (better for larger wide screen monitors).

Here are the links:

Single page: http://www.dwasonline.uk/2020_Annual_STD_Format

Two page spread: http://www.dwasonline.uk/2020_Annual_Spreads_Format "
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 5th January 2020, 12:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 273

Kate O'Mara as the Rani in Mark of the Rani (1985)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark-of-the-Rani-Kate-OMara-1024x932 (Large).jpg (92.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 5th January 2020, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default SPOILERS AHEAD!

I was much happier in the way the two historical figures were portrayed in part two of Spyfall.

Having them in and making them part of the story rather than them being the actual story. It felt much less preachy than episodes last series. Of course the script said who they were and what they did but that was it. We didn't go on their journey, they went on the Doctor's journey.

Plus it allowed the viewer to, if they wished, to read up on these two important women without Chibnall ramming it down our throats for an hour.

Hopefully the rest of the series will do the same and i'll be fine with that.

Jodie is a lot more convincing as 'dark' Doctor as she played it very well in those final few minutes.

It was interesting in that last series we were given minimum back story or references to previous Doctor's / stories etc and now we are bombarded with it. From Logopolis to Time Lords to visiting Gallifrey. Makes it seem more like Doctor Who.

Look forward to more episodes with this Master.

A very good start to series 12. Roll on next week.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th January 2020, 12:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The guardian wasn't overwhelmed with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...yfall-part-two

Doctor Who recap: series 38, episode two – Spyfall part two

Where were the Bond antics? Where was Lenny Henry? And where was the plot?! What a disappointing, befuddling second outing

‘Always a good reminder, when you’re alone, in the unknown, all hope lost’
“Previously on Doctor Who” is usually the most comforting of phrases. And yet Spyfall part two collapsed under the weight of its own bombast mere moments after those words were uttered. I complained last series about the seemingly pedestrian nature of this new Doctor Who compared with the more bonkers moments of Steven Moffat’s pomp. Now, that feels like a case of careful what you wish for. Sure, the second instalment of Spyfall was a riot, but riots are supposed to at least be explicable. There was little of that on display here.

Normally I would kick off with a recap of how they all got off the doomed aircraft, but even Graham, Ryan and Yaz were as clueless about that as the rest of us. Along the way, we took several trips to the White Light Nuns’ spooky netherworld, teamed up (for no discernible reason) with computer pioneers Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage and took a trip back to the second world war where Hot Camp Master was disguising himself as a German soldier.

Yaz.

The ‘fam’ were as clueless as the rest of us ...
Aside from killing his mother, Lenny Henry was barely to be seen after being hyped up as the Big Bad, though the Big Bad Tech through-line was laid on with a trowel to make up for his character’s lack of screen time. Meanwhile, the “fam” also spent most of the episode similarly missing in action. I was left wondering what did happen this week, other than a trip to burning Gallifrey and another back in time for tea. And, other than the odd trick with a laser shoe, there was barely a Bond trope in sight either. A befuddling instalment.

‘When does all this stop for you?’

The relationship between the Doctor and the Master is among the most storied in Doctor Who lore. Once best friends at the Timelord Academy, the two took, as Thirteen puts it, “very different paths” and have been each other’s missing piece since the character was introduced in the 1970s. Had actor Roger Delgado survived, there were bigger plans for the Master that never came to pass. He appeared intermittently in the intervening years (played most notably by Anthony Ainley and John Simm) but never really caught fire again until s/he was rebooted and regendered as Missy, played by Michelle Gomez. Missy’s story turned out to be one of redemption, but Chris Chibnall seems to be ignoring the notion of the Doctor’s best frenemy having “gone good”. Hot Camp Master is not showing much in the way of redeeming features thus far. But there is still an awful lot to play for.

Fear factor
The White Light Nuns are named as the Kasarven – though neither Lenny Henry nor the Master seem to have any say over how to handle them after all the buildup. We don’t even get much of a glimpse of their true nature – yet another crucial element to sink without enough screen time. They’re probably not a long-term returning monster, I would wager.

Mysteries and questions
If one thing is at least clear, it’s that something is afoot when it comes to the long game. We enjoyed a somewhat unexplained visit to Gallifrey to watch in horror the as the Citadel burned. Hot Camp Master admitted culpability, before expanding on his warning from last week that “everything you think you know is a lie”. He then denounced the founding fathers of Gallifrey as traitors amid “the lie of the Timeless Child”. Looks like we’ve got ourselves a series arc, Scooby.

Deeper into the vortex
Why is she suddenly worrying about wiping herself from Ada’s memory?

• The Doctor has rarely worried about wiping her/himself from the memories of temporary companions in the past, so why get so concerned about Ada here?

• Ada Lovelace was quite the woman. Correctly identified by the Doctor as the founding mother of computing, Lord Byron’s daughter also chalks up one of the most random historical cameos in Doctor Who history.

• “All that’s needed is to reformat the whole of humanity. Luckily, there’s an app for that.”

• Seriously, am I the only person flummoxed by this entire episode?
Old 6th January 2020, 05:34 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #6

Episode: 'The Evil Of The Daleks' - Episode 1 (1967) (ii)
Artist: The Beatles
Titles: 'Paperback Writer'
Notes:
* Heard in the background on the jukebox when Jamie and The Doctor are in the Tri-Colour cafe
* Originally released as a single in May 1966
* This is the second time the band had been featured on the show

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 6th January 2020, 10:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
The guardian wasn't overwhelmed with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...yfall-part-two

Doctor Who recap: series 38, episode two – Spyfall part two

Where were the Bond antics? Where was Lenny Henry? And where was the plot?! What a disappointing, befuddling second outing

‘Always a good reminder, when you’re alone, in the unknown, all hope lost’
“Previously on Doctor Who” is usually the most comforting of phrases. And yet Spyfall part two collapsed under the weight of its own bombast mere moments after those words were uttered. I complained last series about the seemingly pedestrian nature of this new Doctor Who compared with the more bonkers moments of Steven Moffat’s pomp. Now, that feels like a case of careful what you wish for. Sure, the second instalment of Spyfall was a riot, but riots are supposed to at least be explicable. There was little of that on display here.

Normally I would kick off with a recap of how they all got off the doomed aircraft, but even Graham, Ryan and Yaz were as clueless about that as the rest of us. Along the way, we took several trips to the White Light Nuns’ spooky netherworld, teamed up (for no discernible reason) with computer pioneers Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage and took a trip back to the second world war where Hot Camp Master was disguising himself as a German soldier.

Yaz.

The ‘fam’ were as clueless as the rest of us ...
Aside from killing his mother, Lenny Henry was barely to be seen after being hyped up as the Big Bad, though the Big Bad Tech through-line was laid on with a trowel to make up for his character’s lack of screen time. Meanwhile, the “fam” also spent most of the episode similarly missing in action. I was left wondering what did happen this week, other than a trip to burning Gallifrey and another back in time for tea. And, other than the odd trick with a laser shoe, there was barely a Bond trope in sight either. A befuddling instalment.

‘When does all this stop for you?’

The relationship between the Doctor and the Master is among the most storied in Doctor Who lore. Once best friends at the Timelord Academy, the two took, as Thirteen puts it, “very different paths” and have been each other’s missing piece since the character was introduced in the 1970s. Had actor Roger Delgado survived, there were bigger plans for the Master that never came to pass. He appeared intermittently in the intervening years (played most notably by Anthony Ainley and John Simm) but never really caught fire again until s/he was rebooted and regendered as Missy, played by Michelle Gomez. Missy’s story turned out to be one of redemption, but Chris Chibnall seems to be ignoring the notion of the Doctor’s best frenemy having “gone good”. Hot Camp Master is not showing much in the way of redeeming features thus far. But there is still an awful lot to play for.

Fear factor
The White Light Nuns are named as the Kasarven – though neither Lenny Henry nor the Master seem to have any say over how to handle them after all the buildup. We don’t even get much of a glimpse of their true nature – yet another crucial element to sink without enough screen time. They’re probably not a long-term returning monster, I would wager.

Mysteries and questions
If one thing is at least clear, it’s that something is afoot when it comes to the long game. We enjoyed a somewhat unexplained visit to Gallifrey to watch in horror the as the Citadel burned. Hot Camp Master admitted culpability, before expanding on his warning from last week that “everything you think you know is a lie”. He then denounced the founding fathers of Gallifrey as traitors amid “the lie of the Timeless Child”. Looks like we’ve got ourselves a series arc, Scooby.

Deeper into the vortex
Why is she suddenly worrying about wiping herself from Ada’s memory?

• The Doctor has rarely worried about wiping her/himself from the memories of temporary companions in the past, so why get so concerned about Ada here?

• Ada Lovelace was quite the woman. Correctly identified by the Doctor as the founding mother of computing, Lord Byron’s daughter also chalks up one of the most random historical cameos in Doctor Who history.

• “All that’s needed is to reformat the whole of humanity. Luckily, there’s an app for that.”

• Seriously, am I the only person flummoxed by this entire episode?
well thats a good sign if they dont like it, no PC preaching or deversity forced down out throats

ive come to the conclusion if the guardian dont like something i will like it and if they do like something it will be a pretentious piece of crap
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th January 2020, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 274

Sacha Dhawan as the Master in Spyfall (2020)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vBpp71d (Large).jpg (47.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 6th January 2020, 02:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sacha Dhawan as the Master in Spyfall (2020)

He had previously appeared as director Waris Hussein in the 'Adventure In Space And Time' docu-drama. (Pictured with Jessica Raine as Verity Lambert)

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 6th January 2020, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hmmmh... tough break with the new episdode in 2 parts...

I really had much more Doctor Who feeling with these, despite the Bond theme, which was not really my cup of tea and overdone a bit for my taste. The ending may be used to get back an arc-like structure I enjoyed so much since 2005 and I missed in Chibbie's first season. But the negative aspects that killed season 11 mostly for me are still there, Jodie is bad at this role, the lines feel unnatural and why does she alweays speak her thoughts? I doubt I will ever really like her as Doctor. The companions are too much like the awful teen-oriented Class, except Graham, I kinda like him, but his attempts at humour with the laser shoes - well, let's say they misfired The new Master - more like the Master of Overacting

But I am still happy to have the show back, maybe they do more good this season and then end it with a full regeneration process

Like this? Share it using the links below!