Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2020, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I enjoyed both parts , far superior to anything last season and actually feels like Who. I actually enjoy the new master vast improvement on what we got in nu who especially Simms awful carry on master. Hope lessons have been learned from 11 and don't go back down that route, Jodie is actually better as a darker doctor than what ever she is doing for most of the time, the timelord story line could go interesting places.
Old 6th January 2020, 05:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

although i'd agree with some of the above e.g. dark JW way better than whacky JW, the guy playing the Master is pretty good, honestly i thought it was terrible.

the shiny things were a budget saving letdown, the mid episode sitdown with the 'fam' killed the momentum dead, the laser shoes were just so cringeworthy that even 'graham' couldn't save it, and since when did the Doctor start erasing memories?

but worst crime of all is making the Doctor a bloody pacifist. this for me is an unforgivable misreading of the character. forget the fanboy anti-PC whingers... this is the biggest fault with the JW era. the Doctor would probably prefer to avoid violence but has never been a pacifist. David Tennent didn't hesitate to throw the ball (or was it an apple?) at the button 'no second chances, i'm that sort of guy'
Old 6th January 2020, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
although i'd agree with some of the above e.g. dark JW way better than whacky JW, the guy playing the Master is pretty good, honestly i thought it was terrible.

the shiny things were a budget saving letdown, the mid episode sitdown with the 'fam' killed the momentum dead, the laser shoes were just so cringeworthy that even 'graham' couldn't save it, and since when did the Doctor start erasing memories?

but worst crime of all is making the Doctor a bloody pacifist. this for me is an unforgivable misreading of the character. forget the fanboy anti-PC whingers... this is the biggest fault with the JW era. the Doctor would probably prefer to avoid violence but has never been a pacifist. David Tennent didn't hesitate to throw the ball (or was it an apple?) at the button 'no second chances, i'm that sort of guy'
The Doctor erased Donna's memories.

The pacifist part never struck me unlike with Capaldi's incarnation which moaned throughout about soldiers and so on.
Old 6th January 2020, 05:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

but worst crime of all is making the Doctor a bloody pacifist. this for me is an unforgivable misreading of the character. forget the fanboy anti-PC whingers... this is the biggest fault with the JW era. the Doctor would probably prefer to avoid violence but has never been a pacifist. David Tennent didn't hesitate to throw the ball at the button 'no second chances, i'm that sort of guy'

I was expecting her to push the master of the Eiffel tower after jodrell bank was mentioned

If remember right it was not called jodrell in the episode?
Old 6th January 2020, 05:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I was expecting her to push the master of the Eiffel tower after jodrell bank was mentioned
I was hoping he'd push her off the Eiffel Tower
trebor8273 and Rob4 like this.
Old 6th January 2020, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As far as I can remember none of the other companions etc, were i historical figures so that's more than likely why or it has repercussions later in the season.
Old 6th January 2020, 08:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Tennant was a complete pain in the keyster with the pacifist stuff. Oh sure, he started off okay with Christmas Invasion but it wasn't long before he was rambling about "the man who never would', trying to save Davros and blubbing over the Master like a big girl.

New Who has fundamentally misunderstood the character from the start, let's face it. It's nothing new.

4.6 million for episode 2.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 6th January 2020, 08:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Doctor erased Donna's memories.
wasn't there a medical reason for that?
Old 6th January 2020, 08:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Tennant was a complete pain in the keyster with the pacifist stuff. Oh sure, he started off okay with Christmas Invasion but it wasn't long before he was rambling about "the man who never would', trying to save Davros and blubbing over the Master like a big girl.

New Who has fundamentally misunderstood the character from the start, let's face it. It's nothing new.

4.6 million for episode 2.
true enough but i sort of looked on it as a reaction to the time war. but there were also references to his lack of control, for instance when he killed the spider-thingy and all her children.

tbh, i wished there'd been more of Ecclestone who i think could project the most danger of the nu-Doctors and seemed a bit batshit unhinged at times. especially in 'Dalek'.

anyway i'm hearing that JW will get another season. is this true?

Last edited by Rob4; 6th January 2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 6th January 2020, 09:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
true enough but i sort of looked on it as a reaction to the time war. but there were also references to his lack of control, for instance when he killed the spider-thingy and all her children.

tbh, i wished there'd been more of Ecclestone who i think could project the most danger of the nu-Doctors and seemed a bit batshit unhinged at times. especially in 'Dalek'.

anyway i'm hearing that JW will get another season. is this true?
I don't know. I haven't heard anything confirmed.

At the moment i hope not.

The only way we'll know if this series is better than the last is with the ones that might be deemed run of the mill episodes - next Sunday's for a start.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!