Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2012, 05:28 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
Have they colourised Invasion of the Dinosaurs episode 1 for the DVD? It's just that when they originally announced that it was going to be released, I'm sure I read somewhere that they weren't going to bother due to budgetary reasons.
Yes they have done

I cannot comment on the quality of the colourisation because (for some reason I'm not too sure about) I chose to watch it in BW!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th January 2012, 11:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

The colourisation of the first episode is ok, but not up to the usual standards because of the source material used. Still well worth watching though.

The Ambassadors Of Death has been held back for similar reasons - extra work is needed on the restoration. Can't wait to see that one.
Old 18th January 2012, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

They've just released the first few screenshots from the upcoming "Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock " game. It looks like were finally going to get a decent Doctor Who game but unfortunately it's only going to be released on the PS3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Eternity-Clock-dalek.jpg (44.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg The-Eternity-Clock-doctor.jpg (33.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg The-Eternity-Clock-silence.jpg (20.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st January 2012, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I prefer Monster of Peladon. Probably 'cos the Ice Warriors are back to being bad mf's.

Speaking of Ice Warriors. Dan Abnett's novel The Silent Stars go By is a decent read. He captures the latest Tardis team very well and the Ice Warriors are pretty formidable so far. Got about 100 pages to go.
I agree - I prefer Monster over Curse. Monster took a couple of episodes to get going, but when it did, it was very good.

Just got through Mannequin Mania boxset - I had forgotten how good a story Spearhead from Space was, particularly as everything really kicks off in the last episode and there really is not that much Pertwee. But pacing-wise, it was strong and there was no sense of drag. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for Terror of the Autons - it was my first time watching this and I was disappointed. It was still a good story, but I thought the Master and the Autons would make an unbeatable combination; the Master was still very good, but the Autons did not seem effective here as in the previous story. Plus, it reminded me why Pertwee's Doctor can get on my nerves- he can be pretty unpleasant at times; the difference between his introduction to Liz and Jo is stark. But one thing that is consistent in Pertwee's performances out of the stories I have seen is the effect that his exile on Earth has on his character - on Earth, he can be tetchy and rude, while at liberty he can be quite charming and pleasant.
Old 21st January 2012, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I agree - I prefer Monster over Curse. Monster took a couple of episodes to get going, but when it did, it was very good.

Just got through Mannequin Mania boxset - I had forgotten how good a story Spearhead from Space was, particularly as everything really kicks off in the last episode and there really is not that much Pertwee. But pacing-wise, it was strong and there was no sense of drag. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for Terror of the Autons - it was my first time watching this and I was disappointed. It was still a good story, but I thought the Master and the Autons would make an unbeatable combination; the Master was still very good, but the Autons did not seem effective here as in the previous story. Plus, it reminded me why Pertwee's Doctor can get on my nerves- he can be pretty unpleasant at times; the difference between his introduction to Liz and Jo is stark. But one thing that is consistent in Pertwee's performances out of the stories I have seen is the effect that his exile on Earth has on his character - on Earth, he can be tetchy and rude, while at liberty he can be quite charming and pleasant.
I think it was supposed to be that way for the Doctor and Jo, the characters grow on each other and by her final scenes in The Green Death the Doctor is absolutely heartbroken by her leaving.

I finished the final episode of Day of the Daleks last weekend.

The additional effects and extra scenes really made the battle seem a grander affair, and pretty exciting. The story always seemed wrong with just the three Daleks during the battle.

I heartily recommend this to readers, especially fans of the revamped series who don't bother with the classic stories, as it could easily have been shown in any of the six series so far, and is ten times more fun than Daleks in Manhattan.

Started on Snakedance last night, after one episode it is not a patch on Kinda, yet is still pretty interesting. Great to see Hammer regular John Carson in the show.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Matt Smith and Karen Gillan win best actor and actress at the National Television Awards.

Thats every Doctor since the shows rebirth to win now.

Well done to the two of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smith_NTA_2.jpg (43.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg gillan_NTA.jpg (45.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Coming to dvd in April and May.

Nightmare of Eden
Dragonfire / The Happiness Patrol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71TF+fR7L8L__AA1081_.jpg (90.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 81KASYsPgLL__AA1500_.jpg (86.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th February 2012, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Coming to dvd in April and May.

Nightmare of Eden
Dragonfire / The Happiness Patrol
Dragonfire - good to know! I remember managing to tape the first three episodes, but somehow the VCR did not record the fourth and I did not get to see it!

Just Ordered:

Keys of Marinus
Ghost Light

Rewatched:

The Sea Devils - it gets more enjoyable on every rewatch.
Talons of Weng Chiang - still terrific stuff.
Old 4th February 2012, 12:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Dragonfire - good to know! I remember managing to tape the first three episodes, but somehow the VCR did not record the fourth and I did not get to see it!

Just Ordered:

Keys of Marinus
Ghost Light

Rewatched:

The Sea Devils - it gets more enjoyable on every rewatch.
Talons of Weng Chiang - still terrific stuff.
A couple of good buys there Nemesis.

I hated Ghost Light when i first saw it, i just didn't understand it at all. Now it is one of my favourite stories ever. It has a superb opressive gothic atmosphere and some incredibly dark black comic moments.

I really rate all of McCoys final season, Battlefield has flaws but the other three are some of the finest ever Who stories.

Keys of Marinus is really good as well, an epic story with each episode set in a new location. Watch out for the cardboard Voord that falls to its death.
Old 4th February 2012, 12:23 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Um...'Dragonfire' only had three episodes!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!