Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28674Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2017, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There's nothing wrong with it as such. It's just an episode to me though. Neither feels big or epic enough to be classed as a 'special'.

Planet of the Dead was a waste of time whilst the End of Time was epic with the return of the Time Lords but the story itself was really poor. The best part of it was saying goodbye to 10 and all his companions... yes it's that bad.
Agree with your critical response to The End of Time. Shambolic, and not fit for purpose. I remember how I felt after watching Planet of the Dead. I slumped into a depressive state after seeing it on TV. I then went in the car down the road to get some fish and chips. Time to drown my sorrows after watching such a car crash story. Well. I'm all ready for next Saturday. Can't come soon enough I say.
Old 8th April 2017, 06:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Agree with your critical response to The End of Time. Shambolic, and not fit for purpose. I remember how I felt after watching Planet of the Dead. I slumped into a depressive state after seeing it on TV. I then went in the car down the road to get some fish and chips. Time to drown my sorrows after watching such a car crash story. Well. I'm all ready for next Saturday. Can't come soon enough I say.
Planet of the Dead like all the worst stories/ episodes still has some merit but the actual storyline was almost non-existent.

The Woman Who Lived sadly practically all borders on the terrible. The second half of The Girl Who Died was awful but it's first half was a bit of fun.

If anyones interested my worst stories since 2005 are - In order of dreadfulness

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
The Woman Who Lived
The Doctor the Widow and the Wardrobe
Kill The Moon
Planet of the Dead
Fear Her
The End of Time
Nightmare in Silver
Mojo and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th April 2017, 07:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Agree with all those Dem.

I'd also add:

Love & Monsters
The Rings Of Akhaten
In The Forest Of The Night

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th April 2017, 07:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Agree with all those Dem.

I'd also add:

Love & Monsters
The Rings Of Akhaten
In The Forest Of The Night

I don't mind Love and Monsters, being a Jackie Tyler fan. Some of it is a bit cringe inducing i do agree.

Totally forgot The Rings of Akhaten. I'm going to add it now. A decent first half ruined by what followed.

I do like In the Forest of the Night. True it's different to the norm but i've really liked it both times i've seen it. I also think the overgrown setting is terrific. It's not a classic by any stretch but i've never really understood the almost universal dislike for it.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th April 2017, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I don't mind Love and Monsters, being a Jackie Tyler fan. Some of it is a bit cringe inducing i do agree.

Totally forgot The Rings of Akhaten. I'm going to add it now. A decent first half ruined by what followed.

I do like In the Forest of the Night. True it's different to the norm but i've really liked it both times i've seen it. I also think the overgrown setting is terrific. It's not a classic by any stretch but i've never really understood the almost universal dislike for it.
I just can't get away with any of these. I don't understand why In The Forest... ever got commisioned to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I love the versatility of the show, but I don't think this came anywhere near being a Dr Who story.

As an aside, I agree with you and others on the upcoming new series - I think it could be brilliant.
Old 8th April 2017, 07:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I just can't get away with any of these. I don't understand why In The Forest... ever got commisioned to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I love the versatility of the show, but I don't think this came anywhere near being a Dr Who story.

As an aside, I agree with you and others on the upcoming new series - I think it could be brilliant.
Ha'ha, fair enough.

Roll on next Saturday i say.
Mojo and Demoncrat like this.
Old 8th April 2017, 08:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

By the way, when I said I couldn't get away with any of these, I meant the three stories I listed, not your comments about them! Anyway, looking forward to the Mondasian Cybermen. Wonder will they have the 'sing song' voices?
Old 8th April 2017, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
By the way, when I said I couldn't get away with any of these, I meant the three stories I listed, not your comments about them! Anyway, looking forward to the Mondasian Cybermen. Wonder will they have the 'sing song' voices?
I'd kinda like them to have the sing song voices but i can also forgive them if it's decided not to go with them as i bet they sound a bit weird to the casual viewer.
Old 8th April 2017, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Planet of the Dead like all the worst stories/ episodes still has some merit but the actual storyline was almost non-existent.

The Woman Who Lived sadly practically all borders on the terrible. The second half of The Girl Who Died was awful but it's first half was a bit of fun.

If anyones interested my worst stories since 2005 are - In order of dreadfulness

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
The Woman Who Lived
The Doctor the Widow and the Wardrobe
Kill The Moon
Planet of the Dead
Fear Her
The End of Time
Nightmare in Silver
Add to that list Voyage of Damned, Long Game and those farting aliens the slitheen in The Aliens of London. Now I wonder ?who? came up with the wonderful idea of farting aliens? I would of imagined John Nathan-Turner loving the idea of farting aliens back in the 1980's, but for a new series in 2005? You would of thought dear Russ would of laughed out loud at the thought. That's something JNT would of commissioned back in the day. We wouldn't do that in new Dr Who. Think again.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Add to that list Voyage of Damned, Long Game and those farting aliens the slitheen in The Aliens of London. Now I wonder ?who? came up with the wonderful idea of farting aliens? I would of imagined John Nathan-Turner loving the idea of farting aliens back in the 1980's, but for a new series in 2005? You would of thought dear Russ would of laughed out loud at the thought. That's something JNT would of commissioned back in the day. We wouldn't do that in new Dr Who. Think again.
Something for the nippers to laugh at.

Plus the figure made for a cracking action figure. I have two of them on the walls in my office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4533 (Large).jpg (94.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4535 (Large).jpg (91.9 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!