Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28730Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2012, 12:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Nowt wrong with blue Daleks (other than their use in the 2010 UK general election campaign which featured Daleks in the colours of the three main British political parties. Obviously, the Blue Daleks represented the Conservatives!)

'Victory of the Daleks'

'Dr Who and the Daleks'
haha. im an Aberdeen FC fan, does this explain why i wouldnt like BLUE daleks??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th January 2012, 12:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
haha. im an Aberdeen FC fan, does this explain why i wouldnt like BLUE daleks??
I bet you can't wait for the green and white hoop design then.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

I thought the Christmas episode was pretty enjoyable ( certainly much better than last year's ) but I must admit I'm gettimg pretty sick of the slushy endings which seem to have infested the last series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The next series has to be a bit more (casual) viewer friendly, no daft story arcs and hopefully one off adventures like the good old days with some old classic monsters.

The Daleks and Cybermen especially, need to be reinvented as fearsome shitkickers again. I thought the Cybermen just became cannon fodder during series 6.

To be fair Moffat has said this is the way they are going, with some new old enemies. He does tend to talk nonsense though.
Agreed Demdike. Sometimes I feel they chuck in the Cybermen because they've got the costumes lying around. It would be nice to give them a proper story again. I feel the series needs to return to its roots a bit more. A few more Earth invasions would be nice. The return of an old monster like the Zygons would be excellent.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I agree with a number of the comments above. I enjoyed the special because I switched my brain off and didn't seem to notice the glaring plot devices. At the beginning, wasn't the Doctor protected by the suit he was wearing? I forget...

I'd like Moffat to deliver, properly, what he promised; a return to old style Who with a story per week instead of a series long arc. It can be smart, complicated and didactic but have more impact. The emotional stuff has had it's day.

The recent Day of the Daleks release was excellent and a great improvement over the original that had no budget to fulfill an ambitious story.
They should do the same with Blake's 7. I could live with a CGI Liberator
Nemesis likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The return of an old monster like the Zygons would be excellent.
A return for the Zygons would really make my day.

Did you ever read the BBC novel The Bodysnatchers?

A terrific story set in the Victorian era, which also features Professor Litefoot from The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Well worth picking up if you can find one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200px-Bodysnatchers.jpg (34.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 6th January 2012, 12:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Do you recall the last episode of series 2. ?

The episode Star One built up to be a huge space battle between the Federation, helped by the Liberator, against the aliens from the Andromeda galaxy. The ships looked like bits of cutlery thrown together and not a shot was fired onscreen then the episode ended. - bastards. This scene with added action would be brilliant as a cgi effect.
wayfarer likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 02:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I'd like Moffat to deliver, properly, what he promised; a return to old style Who with a story per week instead of a series long arc. It can be smart, complicated and didactic but have more impact. The emotional stuff has had it's day.
Yip. There's no doubt Moffat + co can deliver ( The Silence are a terrific monster ) but to me it seems it's being geared more and more towards American audiences ( isn't it part funded by the US these days? ) I'm hoping Moffat can steer it back to its roots a bit more for the next series...

Demdike - I did indeed read The Bodysnatchers when it first came out. It was excellent and quite adult in tone as well, as I remember. A Zygon tv show along these lines would be very welcome.
Old 6th January 2012, 06:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:

The recent Day of the Daleks release was excellent and a great improvement over the original that had no budget to fulfill an ambitious story.

Blakes 7 series 1-4 all remastered with the option of updated cgi effects and released on Blu-ray.

Personally I would pay an obscene amount of money for that.
wayfarer likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
A return for the Zygons would really make my day.

Did you ever read the BBC novel The Bodysnatchers?

A terrific story set in the Victorian era, which also features Professor Litefoot from The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Well worth picking up if you can find one.
I have that. One of my favourite 'lost adventures' (?) - if that's what they were called!
Old 6th January 2012, 09:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have that. One of my favourite 'lost adventures' (?) - if that's what they were called!
When news of the revamped series broke, the BBC called time on those books.

I started collecting them when they first appeared but eventually gave up as, at a rate of two per month it was easy to get left behind. However cheap bookseller / stationer, The Works got most of them in stock when the last one had been published and i picked up most of the ones i didn't own at £1.50 each. I spent about £60 on them. Most remain unread as of yet.

Like this? Share it using the links below!