Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28665Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2019, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Doctor Who And The Giant Robot' was the first Target book I got, when it was first published in 1975

I never owned that version, Susan. The book i have was the reprint with the Robot's head as the cover.

Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I have this one (a later re-print):

Old 2nd September 2019, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have this one (a later re-print):

I've always liked that art. (Save for the green and yellow logo which really doesn't need to be there) It was the artwork for the vhs release too.
Old 3rd September 2019, 05:41 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I never owned that version, Susan. The book i have was the reprint with the Robot's head as the cover
That's the 1979 edition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have this one (a later re-print)
...and that is the version from 1992

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:17 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Voyage Of The Damned
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor, by the way.
Astrid: Astrid, sir. Astrid Peth.
The Doctor: Nice to meet you, Astrid Peth. Merry Christmas.
Astrid: Merry Christmas, sir.
The Doctor: Just Doctor, not sir.
Astrid: You enjoying the cruise?
The Doctor: Er, yeah, I suppose. I don't know. It doesn't quite work, a cruise on your own.
Astrid: You're not with anyone?
The Doctor: No, no, just me. Just, er, used to be but, er, no. What about you? Long way from home, Planet Sto.
Astrid: Doesn't feel that different. I spent three years working at the spaceport diner, travelled all the way here and I'm still waiting on tables.
The Doctor: No shore leave?
Astrid: We're not allowed. They can't afford the insurance. I just wanted to try it, just once. I used to watch the ships heading out to the stars and I always dreamt of. It sounds daft.
The Doctor: You dreamt of another sky. New sun, new air, new life. A whole universe teeming with life. Why stand still when there're all that life out there?
Astrid: So, you travel a lot?
The Doctor: All the time. Just for fun. Well, that's the plan. Never quite works.
Astrid: Must be rich, though.
The Doctor: Haven't got a penny. Stowaway.
Astrid: Kidding.
The Doctor: Seriously.
Astrid: No.
The Doctor: Oh, yeah.
Astrid: How did you get on board?
The Doctor: Accident. I've got this, sort of, ship thing. I was just rebuilding her. Left the defences down. Bumped into the Titanic. Here I am. Bit of a party. I thought, why not?
Astrid: I should report you.
The Doctor: Go on then.
Astrid: I'll get you a drink on the house.
(Over at another table, a bunch of toffs are laughing at a large woman in a purple cowboy outfit and her equally well padded companion. The Doctor joins them.)
Morvin: (the man) Just ignore them.
The Doctor: Something's tickled them.
Foon: (the woman) They told us it was fancy dress. Very funny, I'm sure.
Morvin: They're just picking on us because we haven't paid. We won our tickets in a competition.
Foon: I had to name the five husbands of Joofie Crystalle in By the Light of the Asteroid. Did you ever watch By the Light of the Asteroid?
The Doctor: Is that the one with the twins?
Foon: That's it. Oh, it's marvellous.
Morvin: But we're not good enough for that lot. They think we should be in steerage.
The Doctor: Well, can't have that, can we?
(With his back towards the toffs, the Doctor aims his sonic screwdriver at the champagne bottle in the bucket on their table. The cork pops out, spraying their expensive clothes with alcohol.)
Foon: Did you do that?
The Doctor: Maybe.
Foon: We like you.
Morvin: We do. I'm Morvin Van Hoff. This is my good woman, Foon.
The Doctor: Foon. Hello, I'm the Doctor.
Foon: Oh, I'm going to need a Doctor, time I've finished with that buffet. Have a buffalo wing. They must be enormous, these buffalo. So many wings.

(A man in a tweed suit is holding up a sign.)
Copper: Red Six Seven. Red Six Seven. This way, fast as you can.
Astrid: I got you that drink.
The Doctor: And I got you a treat. Come on.
Copper: Red Six Seven departing shortly.
(The Doctor shows him the psychic paper.)
The Doctor: Red Six Seven plus one.
Copper: Quickly, sir, please, and take two teleport bracelets if you would.
(Very Blake's 7, another BBC sci fi hit.)
Astrid: I'll get the sack.
The Doctor: Brand new sky.
Copper: To repeat, I am Mister Copper, the ship's historian, and I shall be taking you to old London town in the country of UK, ruled over by good King Wenceslas. Now, human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages.
The Doctor: Excuse me. Sorry, sorry, but, er, where did you get all this from?
Copper: Well, I have a first class degree in Earthonomics. Now, stand by.
(The little red alien runs up.)
Bannakaffalatta: And me! And me! Red Six Seven.
Copper: Well, take a bracelet, please, sir.
The Doctor: But, er, hold on, hold on. What was your name?
Bannakaffalatta: Bannakaffalatta.
The Doctor: Okay, Bannakaffalatta. But it's Christmas Eve down there. Late night shopping, tons of people. He's like a talking conker. No offence, but you'll cause a riot because the streets are going to be packed with shoppers and parties and (The group are teleported in mid word to an empty shopping street.) Oh.
Copper: Now, spending money. I have a credit card in Earth currency if you want to buy trinkets, or stockings, or the local delicacy, which is known as beef. But don't stray too far, it could be dangerous. Any day now they start boxing.

The Doctor: Careful. Follow me.
Copper: Rather ironic, but this is very much in the spirit of Christmas. It's a festival of violence. They say that human beings only survive depending on whether they've been good or bad. It's barbaric.
The Doctor: Actually, that's not true. Christmas is a time of, of peace and thanksgiving and what am I on about? My Christmases are always like this. (He finds a Host under some metal plates.) We've got a Host. Strength of ten. If we can mend it, we can use it to fix the rubble.
Morvin: We can do robotics. Both of us.
Foon: We work on the milk market back on Sto. It's all robot staff.
The Doctor: See if you can get it working. Let's have a look.
(The Doctor leads the rest of them further up.)
Astrid: It's blocked.
The Doctor: So what do we do?
Astrid: We shift it.
The Doctor: That's the attitude. Rickston, Mister Copper, and you, Bannakaffalatta. Look, can I just call you Banna? It's going to save a lot of time.
Bannakaffalatta: No. Bannakaffalatta.

The Doctor: You can't do this!
Capricorn: Host, hold him. Not so clever now, Doctor. A shame we couldn't work together. You're rather good. All that banter yet not a word wasted. Time for me to retire. The Titanic is falling. The sky will burn. Let the Christmas inferno commence. Oh. Oh, Host. Kill him.
Astrid: Mister Capricorn! (Astrid is in a fork lift.) I resign. (She drives towards Capricorn.)
The Doctor: Astrid, don't! (She gets the forks under Capricorn's life support and the two machines battle each other. A Host throws its halo, which glances off Astrid's cab.) He's cut the brake line! (In slow motion, Astrid and the Doctor look at each other before she lifts Capricorn completely off the ground and powers them both forward through the guard rail, to fall into the engines.) Astrid!
(The Host release the Doctor and he runs forward to watch her falling.)
MrBarlow likes this.

Old 3rd September 2019, 09:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

To have a bit of better news today, season 26 has been announced as the next Blu ray set, out December 23rd. And, to my relief and happiness, will include the original VHS extended version of Fenric (my preferred version, personally), which was not on the DVD.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 150

A promo photo featuring left to right - Patrick Troughton (The second Doctor) Richard Hurndall (the first Doctor), Peter Davison (seated, the fifth Doctor), K-9, a waxwork of Tom Baker (the fourth Doctor), Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith), Carole Anne Ford (Susan Foreman), Jon Pertwee (the third Doctor) and Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart) - for the twentieth anniversary special The Five Doctors (1983).

The last story written for the series by the great Terrance Dicks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26d18679c33095847e14052e7eefabbf (Large).jpg (90.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
To have a bit of better news today, season 26 has been announced as the next Blu ray set, out December 23rd. And, to my relief and happiness, will include the original VHS extended version of Fenric (my preferred version, personally), which was not on the DVD.
Think i'll have to get this as it's my favourite season of Doctor Who.

It wasn't to begin with, it's something that's developed in the years since.

Edit - a work print of Ghostlight My second favourite story ever.
iank likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 3rd September 2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:34 AM
Cult Master

Trailer, cover, contents and extras

With guest stars including Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), Anthony Ainley (The Master), Jean Marsh, Nicholas Parsons, Anne Reid, Ian Hogg, Sylvia Syms and comedy duo Hale & Pace, this fondly-remembered set of stories saw the end of an era for Doctor Who, and set the stage for its hugely successful revival.

With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features including:

Rare Restored Extended Cuts

The Curse of Fenric VHS Extended Version
The Curse of Fenric DVD Special Edition
Battlefield VHS Extended Version
Battlefield DVD Special Edition, plus

5.1 surround sound & isolated scores

On all 14 broadcast episodes, plus 5.1 sound on all extended versions of The Curse Of Fenric and Battlefield.

Behind the Sofa
New episodes with Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, plus companions Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Anneke Wills and Jodie-Whittaker-era writers Pete McTighe & Joy Wilkinson.

Showman – the Life of John Nathan-Turner
A feature-length look at the life and career of Doctor Who’s longest-serving producer, who fought to keep the programme on-air during the 1980s. Contributors include Peter Davison and Colin Baker.

Making ‘The Curse of Fenric’
A brand new documentary featuring Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Tomek Bork, Nicholas Parsons, Cory Pulman, Marek Anton, Ian Briggs, Andrew Cartmel, Mark Ayres and Ian Collins featuring unseen behind-the-scenes footage and photographs.

In Conversation
Matthew Sweet chats to companion Sophie Aldred.

The Writers’ Room
Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt, Ian Briggs, Rona Munro and Andrew Cartmel discuss their work on Season 26.

Becoming The Destroyer
Actor Marek Anton and prosthetics designer Stephen Mansfield recall the creation of one of Doctor Who’s best ever monsters.

Brand new Ghost Light extended workprint
Unseen studio footage
Rare archive treats
Convention footage
HD photo galleries
Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files
and other gems from our PDF archive
And lots more!

The seven-disc box set also includes hours of special features previously released on DVD.

Old 3rd September 2019, 11:43 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

FFS! That new Ace footage was better than the entire Chibaker series.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!