Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2019, 02:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 147

Jon Pertwee on the set of The Time Warrior (1973)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p0145sld.jpg (82.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 1st September 2019, 06:18 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Sound Of Drums
(The full Cabinet are assembled.)
The Master: A glorious day. Downing Street rebuilt, the Cabinet in session. Let the work of government begin. (He throws the files he has just been given into the air.) Oh, go on. Crack a smile. It's funny, isn't it? Albert, funny? No? Little bit?
Dumfries: Very funny, sir. But if we could get down to business, there is the matter of policy, of which we have very little.
The Master: No, no, no, no. Before we start all that, I just want to say thank you. Thank you, one and all. You ugly, fat faced bunch of wet, snivelling traitors.
Dumfries: Yes, quite, very funny. But I think
The Master: No. No, that wasn't funny. You see, I'm not making myself very clear. Funny is like this. (Big grin, wide eyes.) Not funny is like this. (Deep scowl and frown.) And right now, I'm not like (grin) I'm like (frown) because you are traitors. Yes, you are! As soon as you saw the vote swinging my way, you abandoned your parties and you jumped on the Saxon bandwagon. So this is your reward.
(The Master puts on an oxygen mask.)
Dumfries: Excuse me, Prime Minister. Do you mind my asking, what is that?
The Master: (muffled) It's a gas mask.
Dumfries: I beg your pardon?
The Master: It's a gas mask.
Dumfries: Yes, but, er, why are you wearing it?
The Master: (muffled) Well, because of the gas.
Dumfries: I'm sorry?
The Master: Because of the gas.
Dumfries: What gas?
The Master: (muffled) This gas.
(The conference telephone sets pop up and squirt gas at the Cabinet and officials.)
Dumfries: You're insane!
(The Master gives the thumbs up sign as Dumfries and the rest of his colleagues die, then starts tapping out that famous rhythm on the table.)

The Master: This country has been sick. This country needs healing. This country needs medicine. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that what this country really needs right now, is a Doctor.

(Jack is making them mugs of tea.)
Jack: But he's got the Tardis. Maybe the Master went back in time and has been living here for decades.
The Doctor: No.
Jack: Why not? Worked for me.
The Doctor: When he was stealing the Tardis, the only thing I could do was fuse the coordinates. I locked them permanently. He can only travel between the year one hundred trillion and the last place the Tardis landed. Which is right here, right now.
Jack: Yeah, but a little leeway?
The Doctor: Well, eighteen months, tops. The most he could have been here is eighteen months. So how has he managed all this? The Master was always sort of hypnotic, but this is on a massive scale.
Martha: I was going to vote for him.
The Doctor: Really?
Martha: Well, it was before I even met you. And I liked him.
Jack: Me too.
The Doctor: Why do you say that? What was his policy? What did he stand for?
Martha: I don't know. He always sounded good. (She starts tapping the rhythm.) Like you could trust him. Just nice. He spoke about. I can't really remember, but it was good. Just the sound of his voice.
The Doctor: What's that?
Martha: What?
The Doctor: That. That tapping, that rhythm. What are you doing?
Martha: I don't know. It's nothing. It's just, I don't know.
(A fanfare blares out from the laptop and a pop up says Saxon Broadcast All Channels. The Doctor turns on the TV.)
The Doctor: Our lord and master is speaking to his kingdom.
The Master [on TV]: Britain, Britain, Britain. What extraordinary times we've had. Just a few years ago, this world was so small. And then they came, out of the unknown, falling from the skies. You've seen it happen. (Over the appropriate film clips.) Big Ben destroyed. A spaceship over London. All those ghosts and metal men. The Christmas star that came to kill. Time and time again, and the government told you nothing. (Lucy crosses her fingers.) Well, not me. Not Harold Saxon. Because my purpose Here today is to tell you this. Citizens of Great Britain, I have been contacted. A message for humanity, from beyond the stars.
Female Sphere: People of the Earth, We come in peace. We bring great gifts. We bring technology and wisdom and protection. And all we ask in return is your friendship.
The Master: Ooo, sweet. And this species has identified itself. They are called the Toclafane.
The Doctor: What?
The Master [on TV]: And tomorrow morning, they will appear. Not in secret, but to all of you. Diplomatic relations with a new species Will begin. Tomorrow, we take our place in the universe. Every man, woman and child. Every teacher and chemist and lorry driver and farmer. Oh, I don't know, every medical student?

Jack: Since we're telling stories, there's something I haven't told you.
(The Torchwood logo appears on the laptop with the miraculous battery life.)
The Doctor: You work for Torchwood.
Jack: I swear to you, it's different. It's changed. There's only half a dozen of us now.
The Doctor: Everything Torchwood did, and you're part of it?
Jack: The old regime was destroyed at Canary Wharf. I rebuilt it, I changed it, and when I did that, I did it for you in your honour.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st September 2019, 12:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 148

Andrew Skilleter's cover for the 1986 novel of The Twin Dilemma.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twindilemma-.jpg (84.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 2nd September 2019, 05:22 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Last Of The Time Lords
The Master: Human race, greatest monsters of them all. Night, then

(The Master runs for the door just as Jack is coming in.)
Jack: Whoa, big fella! You don't want to miss the party. Cuffs. So, what do we do with this one?
Clive: We kill him.
Tish: We execute him.
The Doctor: No, that's not the solution.
(Francine aims the pistol at the Master.)
Francine: Oh, I think so. Because all those things, they still happened because of him. I saw them.
The Master: Go on. Do it.
The Doctor: Francine, you're better than him.
(The Doctor gets Francine to lower the gun and he hugs her, then hands her off to Martha.)
The Master: You still haven't answered the question. What happens to me?
The Doctor: You're my responsibility from now on. The only Time Lord left in existence.
Jack: Yeah, but you can't trust him.
The Doctor: No. The only safe place for him is the Tardis.
The Master: You mean you're just going to keep me?
The Doctor: Mmm. If that's what I have to do. It's time to change. Maybe I've been wandering for too long. Now I've got someone to care for.
(Lucy shoots the Master. The Doctor catches him as he staggers back.)
Jack: Put it down.
The Doctor: There you go. I've got you. I've got you.
The Master: Always the women.
The Doctor: I didn't see her.
The Master: Dying in your arms. Happy now?
The Doctor: You're not dying. Don't be stupid. It's only a bullet. Just regenerate.
The Master: No.
The Doctor: One little bullet. Come on.
The Master: I guess you don't know me so well. I refuse.
The Doctor: Regenerate. Just regenerate. Please. Please! Just regenerate. Come on.
The Master: And spend the rest of my life imprisoned with you?
The Doctor: You've got to. Come on. It can't end like this. You and me, all the things we've done. Axons. Remember the Axons? And the Daleks. We're the only two left. There's no one else. Regenerate!
The Master: How about that. I win. Will it stop, Doctor? The drumming. Will it stop?
(The Master dies.)
The Doctor: No!

Martha: Time was, every single one of these people knew your name. Now they've all forgotten you.
The Doctor: Good.
Jack: Back to work.
The Doctor: I really don't mind, though. Come with me.
Jack: I had plenty of time to think that past year, the year that never was, and I kept thinking about that team of mine. Like you said, Doctor, responsibility.
The Doctor: Defending the Earth. Can't argue with that.
(The Doctor takes Jack's hand and exposes the vortex manipulator on his wrist.)
Jack: Hey, I need that.
The Doctor: I can't have you walking around with a time travelling teleport. You could go anywhere, twice. The second time to apologise.
(The Doctor sonics the manipulator.)
Jack: And what about me? Can you fix that? Will I ever be able to die?
The Doctor: Nothing I can do. You're an impossible thing, Jack.
Jack: Been called that before. Sir. Ma'am. But I keep wondering. What about aging? Because I can't die but I keep getting older. The odd little grey hair, you know? What happens if I live for a million years?
The Doctor: I really don't know.
Jack: Okay, vanity. Sorry. Yeah, can't help it. Used to be a poster boy when I was a kid living on the Boeshane Peninsula. Tiny little place. I was the first one ever to be signed up for the Time Agency. They were so proud of me. The Face of Boe, they called me. Hmm. I'll see you.
(Jack head off towards Torchwood's secret entrance.)
The Doctor: No.
Martha: It can't be.
The Doctor: No. Definitely not. No. No.

The Doctor: Right then, off we go. The open road. There is a burst of starfire right now over the coast of Meta Sigmafolio. Oh, the sky is like oil on water. Fancy a look? Or back in time. We could, I don't know, Charles the Second? Henry the Eighth. I know. What about Agatha Christie? I'd love to meet Agatha Christie. I bet she's brilliant. Okay.
Martha: I just can't.
The Doctor: Yeah.
Martha: Spent all these years training to be a doctor. Now I've got people to look after. They saw half the planet slaughtered and they're devastated. I can't leave them.
The Doctor: Of course not. Thank you. Martha Jones, you saved the world.
Martha: Yes, I did. I spent a lot of time with you thinking I was second best, but you know what? I am good. You going to be all right?
The Doctor: Always. Yeah.
Martha: Right then. Bye. (Martha leaves, then goes back inside.) Because the thing is, it's like my friend Vicky. She lived with this bloke, student housing, there were five of them all packed in, and this bloke was called Sean. And she loved him. She did. She completely adored him. Spent all day long talking about him.
The Doctor: Is this going anywhere?
Martha: Yes. Because he never looked at her twice. I mean, he liked her, but that was it. And she wasted years pining after him. Years of her life. Because while he was around, she never looked at anyone else. And I told her, I always said to her, time and time again, I said, get out. So this is me, getting out. (She throws her mobile phone to him.) Keep that, because I'm not having you disappear. If that rings, when that rings, you'd better come running. Got it?
The Doctor: Got it.
Martha: I'll see you again, mister.
(Martha leaves and the Tardis dematerialises.
The Master's pyre has burnt out. A hand with red fingernails takes his signet ring from the ashes.
Suddenly there is the sound of a ship's foghorn, and the bow of a ship smashes through the side of the Tardis.)

The Doctor: What. What? (He picks up a lifebelt with the name Titanic on it.) What?
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 2nd September 2019, 08:22 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 149

The Cybermen preparing to attack in The Moonbase (1967)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01s2jyj.jpg (86.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Having rewatched them on Saturday night i'd go as far as to say the first four episodes of The Invasion of Time are up there with the very best the show has to offer.

A manipulative Doctor (Tom at his very best) seemingly allowing and indeed helping an invasion of Gallifrey by a mysterious race whilst seemingly shunning his faithful friend Leela in the process. It's riveting viewing and unlike any other Doctor Who story. Then there's that cliffhanger at the end of the fourth episode, just when you think the story is finished. Stunning stuff!
Old 2nd September 2019, 02:57 PM
Cult Master

Bad news

Doctor Who writer and script editor Terrance Dicks dies, aged 84 | Digital Spy

Old 2nd September 2019, 04:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Awful news about Terrance. A legend when it came to Doctor Who.
Old 2nd September 2019, 05:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just a few of the great man's work.

With a wheezing groaning sound he is gone, but not forgotten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6842 (Large).jpg (101.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 2nd September 2019, 06:49 PM
Cult Master

'Doctor Who And The Giant Robot' was the first Target book I got, when it was first published in 1975

"'Look, Brigadier! It's growing!' screamed Sarah.

The Brigadier stared in amazement as the Robot began to grow ... and grow ... swelling to the size of a giant!

Slowly the metal colossus, casting its enormous shadow upon the surrounding trees and buildings, began to stride towards the Brigadier. A giant metal hand reached down to grasp him ... Can DOCTOR WHO defeat the evil forces controlling the Robot before they execute their plans to blackmail — or destroy — the world?"

Like this? Share it using the links below!