Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2011, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Watched episode one of Day of the Daleks with the new effects added.

Quite impressive really. The time travel effect used by the Ogrons is a nice swirling mass of yellow lights, and the Ogron guns now blow their victims apart and make for a very messy death. Probably best of all the effects is the cityscape in the future - almost Bladerunner style.

The Daleks are now voiced by Nick Pegg and sound menacing, unlike the thin weedy voices in the original version.

All in all, very impressive, looking forward to seeing part 2 at the weekend.
Cannot wait to see that one - just waiting for the inevitable price reduction on Amazon. Will defintely get UNIT files and Daemons. I'm not sure about Sensorites- I'v heard that it's pretty ropey; what do you think of it, Demdike?

The Doctor breathing in space - honestly, Moffat If you're going to ape something like Moonraker or Eraser, remember that Roger and the Schwarz actually had some air to breathe. You could have even given him a helmet a la Four to Doomsday (the only good thing about that tale in light of this).
Old 29th December 2011, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I'm not sure about Sensorites- I'v heard that it's pretty ropey; what do you think of it, Demdike?
The Sensorites was one of the the last vhs i bought in a box set along with The Time Meddler and The Gunfighters. I think i only watched it once and can't actually remember anything about it unfortunately. However i am looking forward to this release as i like the first Doctor a heck of a lot more than i did ten years ago when the vhs was released.

I quite enjoyed the Christmas special, but the slightest little analysis shows that it was actually pretty awful.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A poster on the Digital Spy Doctor Who forum had this to say and i tend to agree with them. (I did like it on first viewing, but it did go a bit flat in the middle)

Awful, so awful.

Moffat, you plumb. Stop messing around with Doctor Who. It's not a toy, it's an institution and you are not taking this very seriously. I realise that you belong to the school of "backward plotting" where you work out a satisfying conclusion and work backwards from that.

Problems:

1) The Doctor, in a completely unrelated and unnecessary scene, will fall to Earth and will survive space without burning up, freezing, exploding or dying of asphyxiation. Don't worry - we get the big bang out of the way first. No-one will question this because it is magic. I am magic. Tee-hee.

2) The portal has to be disguised as something attractive to children so that they would open it early. So instead of using the TARDIS as we would normally do, we are going to disguise the portal as a large attractive Christmas present. That way it puts the children in danger, but is a mis-step because the Doctor wouldn't act so irresponsibly. Don't worry - no-one will notice. Heck, we could have just used the TARDIS but then I lose the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe imagery. I am not very good at plots so I borrow from classic literature in a pathetic attempt to make my work appear to have substance and depth.

3) The building cannot be a building. It has to be made of wood so that it can be burnt by the acid rain - otherwise if it was a proper building there would be no drama. So I make a building out of wood that looks like bricks and mortar. Don't worry, the fans won't question this because they will accept just about any old cobblers I will spoon feed to them. We could have just had a nice matte painting of a organic looking structure but that costs money and our budget doesn't extend that far, But hey, whatever works, eh?

4) The wooden structure can traverse the time vortex. Don't worry. No one will question this - all of a sudden these wooden creature can manipulate the vortex without the eye of harmony or any time lord technology. It's magic. It's christmas. Everyone will be too full of Christmas cheer to question this plot point. And even if the wooden sphere could travel the vortex, it won't get ripped apart. It's all magic, see?

5) In this universe, premonitions have no meaning to the Doctor because he's a time traveller. Even though the Doctor has worried about premonitions in the past and they have been integral to the plot throughout various incarnations of our time travelling chum, this time around they will be dismissed. Don't worry, no-one will notice or care.

6) We won't let the husband die. Even though I do kill him, we will bring him back via the power of the time vortex. Don't worry, even though we are not supposed to change points in time - **** off RTD with "Father's Day" and the Reapers, this is my universe now - I will make it so a magical fairy light will guide him home for a suitably slushy reunion. Don't worry, it is all magic.

7) Oh, the all the guff about the forest. Well it was just thrown in there so we can save the husband see? I worked out that I wanted to kill him and resurrect and wrote the middle of the story around that conceit, desperately making it all fit together. Don't worry, I am really clever. I am Moffat. Everyone trusts me.

I found it an appalling piece of Doctor Who, which made last year's special seem like Shakespeare in comparison. The only good bit was the last scene with Rory and Amy when the Doctor teared up. That was a genuine piece of writing - the rest just a load of old puff.
RedEyeTheCylon likes this.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
A poster on the Digital Spy Doctor Who forum had this to say and i tend to agree with them. (I did like it on first viewing, but it did go a bit flat in the middle)

Awful, so awful.

Moffat, you plumb. Stop messing around with Doctor Who. It's not a toy, it's an institution and you are not taking this very seriously. I realise that you belong to the school of "backward plotting" where you work out a satisfying conclusion and work backwards from that.

Problems:

1) The Doctor, in a completely unrelated and unnecessary scene, will fall to Earth and will survive space without burning up, freezing, exploding or dying of asphyxiation. Don't worry - we get the big bang out of the way first. No-one will question this because it is magic. I am magic. Tee-hee.

2) The portal has to be disguised as something attractive to children so that they would open it early. So instead of using the TARDIS as we would normally do, we are going to disguise the portal as a large attractive Christmas present. That way it puts the children in danger, but is a mis-step because the Doctor wouldn't act so irresponsibly. Don't worry - no-one will notice. Heck, we could have just used the TARDIS but then I lose the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe imagery. I am not very good at plots so I borrow from classic literature in a pathetic attempt to make my work appear to have substance and depth.

3) The building cannot be a building. It has to be made of wood so that it can be burnt by the acid rain - otherwise if it was a proper building there would be no drama. So I make a building out of wood that looks like bricks and mortar. Don't worry, the fans won't question this because they will accept just about any old cobblers I will spoon feed to them. We could have just had a nice matte painting of a organic looking structure but that costs money and our budget doesn't extend that far, But hey, whatever works, eh?

4) The wooden structure can traverse the time vortex. Don't worry. No one will question this - all of a sudden these wooden creature can manipulate the vortex without the eye of harmony or any time lord technology. It's magic. It's christmas. Everyone will be too full of Christmas cheer to question this plot point. And even if the wooden sphere could travel the vortex, it won't get ripped apart. It's all magic, see?

5) In this universe, premonitions have no meaning to the Doctor because he's a time traveller. Even though the Doctor has worried about premonitions in the past and they have been integral to the plot throughout various incarnations of our time travelling chum, this time around they will be dismissed. Don't worry, no-one will notice or care.

6) We won't let the husband die. Even though I do kill him, we will bring him back via the power of the time vortex. Don't worry, even though we are not supposed to change points in time - **** off RTD with "Father's Day" and the Reapers, this is my universe now - I will make it so a magical fairy light will guide him home for a suitably slushy reunion. Don't worry, it is all magic.

7) Oh, the all the guff about the forest. Well it was just thrown in there so we can save the husband see? I worked out that I wanted to kill him and resurrect and wrote the middle of the story around that conceit, desperately making it all fit together. Don't worry, I am really clever. I am Moffat. Everyone trusts me.

I found it an appalling piece of Doctor Who, which made last year's special seem like Shakespeare in comparison. The only good bit was the last scene with Rory and Amy when the Doctor teared up. That was a genuine piece of writing - the rest just a load of old puff.

The ending was certainly a strong point - the reunion was nicely done.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:00 AM
Cult Addict

I'm not the biggest Who fan but watch it with my daughter though I struggle to see who the target audience is. She is 6 and loves it, I'm 45 and think what is this over sentimental tripe that blights almost every episode.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'm not the biggest Who fan but watch it with my daughter though I struggle to see who the target audience is. She is 6 and loves it, I'm 45 and think what is this over sentimental tripe that blights almost every episode.
You don't get that with The Daemons MTDS.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I thought the sentimental soap aspects worked well in the days of Rose Tyler and her family, even with Donna, but it isn't needed every episode with the family of the week. Amy and Rory certainly don't help either as i never really took to her.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:29 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Amy and Rory certainly don't help either as i never really took to her.
At least she isn't Catherine Tate!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th December 2011, 12:14 PM
Cult Addict

I really liked Catherine Tate. Amy, Rory and Rose just get on my wick.

@Demdike, I'm looking forward to "The Daemons". From what you have mentioned on another thread, it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Rory dies as many times as Kenny.

"Oh my god they killed Rory"

Like this? Share it using the links below!