Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28687Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2020, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The BBC have always hated Doctor Who. They didn't want it made in the first place, they didn't want Verity Lambert doing it, they wanted to axe it in 1969, they capitulated to the loony Whitehouse brigade in the 70s, and went out of their way to sabotage the show and publicly attack it in the mid to late 80s, all while perpetually under-funding it and later under-promoting it.
That they were only willing to bring it back by slowly but surely destroying everything that made it special and unique to begin with makes perfect sense, really.
You can't have it both ways.

They either want to destroy it or they want to use as a means of lecturing an audience about whatever agenda they decide.

They can't force their agendas down our throats if it's not on air.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I simply choose to ignore the Timeless Child bollocks. It's not difficult.

I haven't had the same sort of attachment to the show since the end of Capaldi's first series. I loathed much of his second series and found three quarters of his third series dull.

I genuinely don't care what they do with it in the next series, i'll watch it and either like it or i won't, that will be my prerogative. Whatever happens good or bad won't taint my love of what's gone before.

I don't particularly see Whitaker as a parody just a direction i don't particularly endorse but it is a direction that's easily ret-conned if a new show runner so decides.
Ignore it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact does it. I was watching The Dalek Invasion of Earth the other night. I actually felt a gradual wave of emotion come over me. Hartnell's final moment and that stunning speech reached out to me with a tear in my eye. Now knowing that Who's origin story would never be the same again. Where's the passion and love for the show in Parody Who Demdike??? Don't you ever sit down and watch a piece of classic Who think about what's actually missing in the show today?

ret-conning the show won't resolve the issue at hand will it. Don't hold you're hopes up, cos this show is going down. And the BBC won't be changing it's tune either.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inspired by certain posts here, I dug out The Five Doctors. Another in the series of "rethinks" that the programme has given us all throughout its long history.
Chiefly remembered by part timers as "the one with the cool robot", there is much fun to be had watching them trample blithely over what had gone before .
I mean, that Cyberleader, gay or what? He practically stands with his hand on his hip at one point cough. Ahem. And the gangs all (COUGHurndall) here, what with good old Auntie finally using Shada for something other than cleaning the toilet floor with, so slight inclines aside it's all super fun, and every one gets to do their party piece. This being the "proper" version and not the diet one
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th March 2020, 10:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
You can't have it both ways.

They either want to destroy it or they want to use as a means of lecturing an audience about whatever agenda they decide.

They can't force their agendas down our throats if it's not on air.
Of course you can have it both ways. That's the whole point. They've destroyed it by hijacking it and transforming it into unrecognisable posturing garbage.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It's only a tv show.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The BBC have always hated Doctor Who. They didn't want it made in the first place, they didn't want Verity Lambert doing it, they wanted to axe it in 1969, they capitulated to the loony Whitehouse brigade in the 70s, and went out of their way to sabotage the show and publicly attack it in the mid to late 80s, all while perpetually under-funding it and later under-promoting it.
That they were only willing to bring it back by slowly but surely destroying everything that made it special and unique to begin with makes perfect sense, really.
Yeah.

Like so many other entertainment corporations have with Star Trek, Terminator, Ghostbusters and apparently Lord of the Rings (Amazon), hope not, but things aren't looking too good. No, you're right, Who's been treated with contempt by the BBC, especially in the 1980's. Even the McGann TV Movie had a rocky reception by the BBC hierarchy, bar BBC executive Alan Yentob, who did to some degree remain supportive of Dr Who with the TV Movie. I wanted more McGann. Such a great Doctor. Just a poor TV Movie.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
It's only a tv show.
Devil's advocate says it like it is
Old 8th March 2020, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Yeah.

Like so many other entertainment corporations have with Star Trek, Terminator, Ghostbusters and apparently Lord of the Rings (Amazon), hope not, but things aren't looking too good. No, you're right, Who's been treated with contempt by the BBC, especially in the 1980's. Even the McGann TV Movie had a rocky reception by the BBC hierarchy, bar BBC executive Alan Yentob, who did to some degree remain supportive of Dr Who with the TV Movie. I wanted more McGann. Such a great Doctor. Just a poor TV Movie.
Have you got over the Doctor being half human yet?

An astounding revelation that's been ignored ever since, just like me with the Timeless Child.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Devil's advocate says it like it is
I've simply made my peace with it no longer being the show it once was. This isn't something recent it happened when we were lumbered with a female Doctor.

Political correctness has destroyed Doctor Who as it has Bond and Star Wars. I'm not happy but that's how it is.

That sounds like my father talking.

Maybe i should take the landspeeder to Mos Eisley and find a pilot who'll take me to Alderaan.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Have you got over the Doctor being half human yet?

An astounding revelation that's been ignored ever since, just like me with the Timeless Child.
Shocking wasn't it. I nearly chucked my spider plant out the window after that American revelation. Other than that, I still had a lot of respect for McGann. He was Doctor Who. Thanks to Big Finish, McGann has delivered the goods in sound minus vision.

Like this? Share it using the links below!