Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2023, 02:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I love all the Jurassic films. Although Dominion is the least of them i think. Still liked it though.

Great to see the old cast members back on the screen.
Old 27th August 2023, 03:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I love all the Jurassic films. Although Dominion is the least of them i think. Still liked it though.

Great to see the old cast members back on the screen.
I do sometimes worry that I've become a bit of a film snob. Hopefully enjoying films like Rise of Skywalker and Jurassic World Dominion prove that not to be the case.
Old 27th August 2023, 05:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I do sometimes worry that I've become a bit of a film snob. Hopefully enjoying films like Rise of Skywalker and Jurassic World Dominion prove that not to be the case.
No. You're safe.

Enjoying Rise of Skywalker goes to show you'll like any old crap.
Old 27th August 2023, 08:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Just rewatched Rise of Skywalker. Despite my recent defence of the film, this was only my 3rd time watching. I really enjoyed it (sorry). The SW internet 'rules' now are that it's finally fine to like the prequels but you have to hate the sequel trilogy.

I can recall that after Force Awakens and Rogue One, the internet had decided that it was proof that the prequels were terrible. I never thought that way, have always liked Phantom Menace (despite Jar Jar being annoying at times) and Revenge of the Sith. Attack of the Clones I do struggle with, it's only the Jango Fett vs Obi-Wan fight on Kamino and space asteroid ship battle that I really enjoy.

The sequel trilogy - I actually like it, it probably helps that I really like Adam Driver playing Kylo Ren. There is a lot of comedy in Rise of Skywalker which I'm sure is one of the reasons why so many hated it. As 90% of that comedy comes from CP3O dialogue it doesn't bother me too much. I enjoy that character being so prominently featured.

It can't have been easy when Carrie Fisher died before finishing work on the film and producing an end product must have been difficult (I still wonder what Nolan's third Batman film would have been like if it could have used Heath Ledger as originally planned).

In short, I enjoy the sequel trilogy, internet rules be damned - flame away! btw I also enjoyed Jurassic World Dominion, thought it was great popcorn fun and that's another film that the 'net has decided is one of the worst films ever.
You definitely aren't alone in this because I have grown to like the sequel trilogy. Although I really like Rogue One and thought Solo was okay, the films didn't sit well with me on first viewing.

Since then, I've seen them again couple of times and they seem to improve thanks to the impressive CGI, strong cinematography, and fine performances from an excellent ensemble cast, particularly Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, and John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, and Lupita Nyong'o, plus exciting and innovative direction from JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson.

Although they can't be as narratively interesting or surprising as the original trilogy (now Episodes IV-VI), they are solid films providing good entertainment.

I also liked Jurassic World: Dominion, a good marriage of the new films and state-of-the-art CGI with characters from the first films that we know and love.
Old 1st September 2023, 01:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

So, Ahsoka. Third episode.
I still find the show so far just okay. I know it's early days. Nothing so far has me excited. I just find myself picking faults at the moment.
It's been established so far that Sabine was once a Padawan learner to Ahsoka. That partnership failed due to Sabine being a bit rubbish.
It's not surprising really as in this episode Sabine can't even move a cup along a table with the Force! Did she not learn anything when she was a Padawan before ? Oh, and by the way, now anyone can use the Force. You have just got believe hard enough and then control it.
Ha ha, what a joke!
Old 6th October 2023, 12:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

So, Ahsoka has now finished.
I don't know what has happened to Dave Filoni but it looks like he has moved over to the Kathleen Kennedy camp. Sold his soul to her to get a movie made in the future?
Overall the show was.. Boring, canon breaking and emotionless. Badly written dialogue, wasted characters and stupid scenes. A mess.

Shame.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th November 2023, 01:09 PM
Cult Master

‘Star Wars’ Documentary About Infamous 1978 Holiday Special Sets Release Date / Variety

"'A Disturbance in the Force,' a comical behind-the-scenes documentary about the ill-fated 1978 'Star Wars Holiday Special,' will arrive from a galaxy far, far away in December.

After its premiere at this year’s SXSW Film Festival, “A Disturbance in the Force” will be released on digital and Blu-Ray on Dec. 5. This announcement comes on Life Day, a canonically Wookie holiday in the Star Wars universe.

The movie will also play in select theaters across the U.S., U.K. and Australia ahead of its home entertainment launch. September Club produced 'A Disturbance in the Force' with Giant Pictures handling digital and Blu-ray distribution. Adam F. Goldberg served as executive producer.

'A Disturbance in the Force' chronicles the making of the bizarre 'Star Wars Holiday Special' that aired 45 years ago and never surfaced again. For some context: 'Star Wars' was released in theaters in 1977 and became a cultural phenomenon. A year later, filmmaker George Lucas was talked into cashing in on the craze by producing a holiday-themed variety special. Plenty of people (approximately 13 million) tuned in when CBS aired 'Star Wars Holiday Special' during the week of Thanksgiving. The only problem? It became a famously terrible two hours of television, never to be shown again.

Directors Jeremy Coons and Steve Kozak are attempting to inform the masses on the campy mess and ask the question that’s been plaguing Jedis and Siths alike for decades: "Can you believe this actually happened?"

In Variety’s review, Joe Leydon praised the documentary film as "amusing and exhaustive." He added that 'you don’t have to be a
'Star Wars' diehard to value the documentary for its tea-spilling and gossip-mongering.""

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th November 2023, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

One of the greatest tweets ever was Mark Hamill’s response to the first 2020 US Presidential election debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump:

Quote:
That debate was the worst thing I’ve ever seen & I was in The Star Wars Holiday Special.
(the original)
Old 18th February 2024, 12:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Carrie Fisher and George Lucas on the set of Return of the Jedi (1983)

Old 8th March 2024, 06:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher on the set of The Empire Strikes Back in 1979.

Like this? Share it using the links below!