Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree345Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2012, 04:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Will you bugger off with your On The Buses nonsense.
Now, now, chappy! Watch what you say or I'll get big Olive after you.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th February 2012, 06:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

I always thought Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield's piss take was spot on:

VicDakin, mr 420 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 17th February 2012, 06:58 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Always loved Shooting Stars years ago but i have not watched it this time around i loved the sketches that were in it.

Shooting Stars - Sparks - YouTube

Shooting Stars - Brookside - YouTube
VicDakin, mr 420 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 18th February 2012, 08:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
On the Buses (1971).
Possibly the greatest film Hammer ever made,starring the George Clooney of his day Reg Varney.The humour of the tv series was'nt exactly sophisticated even at the time,and some of the racial stereotypes are alittle embarassing,then again Jim Davidson made whole career on stuff like that. Saying that the films were a vast improvement over the tv series,and even benefited from a hour and half format, they never out stayed there welcome. But if you like middle aged men chasing ladies in tight jumpers and a fetish for buses then its the films for you.
OTB is pure comedy class imo despite the fact that the whole concept revolves around two dirty old men pestering younger women.
It's just a pity that the show did for Bob Grant what Steptoe And Son did for Harry H. Corbett. That is, supplied the relevant individual with screen success but also severely stereotyped him for the rest of his acting career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
As cheesy as it is, I adore On The Buses. I have all three of the films on video which I still watch now and then. IMO the best character had to be Arthur Rudge played by the great Michael Robbins. His put downs to Olive were brilliant. A nod has to go to Inspector Blake, who manged to get it from Stan and Jack in every episode.
I own Optimum's three film DVD release and Network's complete TV series box set.

Also, when you think about it you ultimately should feel sorry for luckless 'ol Inspector Blake. No kidding! I mean, in reality many of us (especially yours truly) moan about late buses with two arriving at the same time when you've been waiting an eternity for just one. In OTB Stan and Jack generally couldn't care less about picking up passengers on time and would rather stay in the bus depot lusting after the latest clippies. All the Inspector is trying to do is ensure the buses are out on time for our benefit. Is he really so wrong for only doing his job and attempting to keep the relevant vehicles on schedule, therefore keeping the public happy? Blakey more or less has to stay on Stan and Jack's backs otherwise their bus will never leave the depot, thus creating more customer complaints. And simply because of this the employee also known as 'Dracula' and 'Hitler' is on the receiving end of embarrassment, humiliation, ridicule and mockery on a constant basis. I feel for the guy.
VicDakin and mr 420 like this.
Old 18th February 2012, 09:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Anybody for Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em with the bumbling but well-meaning Frank Spencer?

"Ooooooo, Betty!"
VicDakin and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:41 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Anybody for Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em with the bumbling but well-meaning Frank Spencer?

"Ooooooo, Betty!"
Absolutely. Classic tv show. Made all the more special by Michael Crawford doing his own stunts.

Splatterdragon73 and VicDakin like this.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

christ almighty. having watched recently episodes of OTB, i suspect rose coloured glasses are in place. the most unfunny, direly plotted, simpleminded dross ive had the misfortune to watch.

Now George & Mildred, THERE was a programme!

combining the dichotomy of moving into a different social class with the travails of modern life, its more like Mike Leigh than a sitcom

Next Week.......
Mind your Language reappraised as a plea for racial harmony!
VicDakin likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th February 2012, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default ARE YOU BEING SERVED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
OTB is pure comedy class imo despite the fact that the whole concept revolves around two dirty old men pestering younger women.
It's just a pity that the show did for Bob Grant what Steptoe And Son did for Harry H. Corbett. That is, supplied the relevant individual with screen success but also severely stereotyped him for the rest of his acting career.

I own Optimum's three film DVD release and Network's complete TV series box set.

Also, when you think about it you ultimately should feel sorry for luckless 'ol Inspector Blake. No kidding! I mean, in reality many of us (especially yours truly) moan about late buses with two arriving at the same time when you've been waiting an eternity for just one. In OTB Stan and Jack generally couldn't care less about picking up passengers on time and would rather stay in the bus depot lusting after the latest clippies. All the Inspector is trying to do is ensure the buses are out on time for our benefit. Is he really so wrong for only doing his job and attempting to keep the relevant vehicles on schedule, therefore keeping the public happy? Blakey more or less has to stay on Stan and Jack's backs otherwise their bus will never leave the depot, thus creating more customer complaints. And simply because of this the employee also known as 'Dracula' and 'Hitler' is on the receiving end of embarrassment, humiliation, ridicule and mockery on a constant basis. I feel for the guy.
I look forward to your thesis on Mr. Humphries from Are You Being Served
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Are You Being Served.jpg (87.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Mr. Humpries.jpg (97.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 18th February 2012, 11:34 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
christ almighty. having watched recently episodes of OTB, i suspect rose coloured glasses are in place. the most unfunny, direly plotted, simpleminded dross ive had the misfortune to watch.

Now George & Mildred, THERE was a programme!

combining the dichotomy of moving into a different social class with the travails of modern life, its more like Mike Leigh than a sitcom

Next Week.......
Mind your Language reappraised as a plea for racial harmony!
Haha. Mind Your Language. Another good show. They need to show these again.
Old 19th February 2012, 09:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Absolutely. Classic tv show. Made all the more special by Michael Crawford doing his own stunts.

Makes you wonder if Jackie Chan saw this scene before conducting his own Rollerskate mayhem in Winners And Sinners.

I seem to recall SMDAE once being referred to as 'The most insidiously evil sitcom ever.' in one DVD magazine many moons ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
I look forward to your thesis on Mr. Humphries from Are You Being Served.
I don't know which way to turn!

Yours truly also enjoys Home To Roost with the late, great John Thaw and Reece Dinsdale.
VicDakin likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!