Old 22nd July 2019, 06:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Revisiting Curb Your Enthusiasm

Mainly Series 2. Many many highlights. The Doll and The Baptism especially.
I keep meaning to find the ninth season and spend a few happy weeks revisiting the many adventures and misadventures of Larry David. As TV goes, it's pretty, pretty good.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd July 2019, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

9 is a return to form imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th July 2019, 10:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Sandbaggers: It Couldn't Happen Here. When a controversial US politician is assassinated, Burnside is startled by his CIA friend's belief that it was orchestrated by forces in the FBI. A government agency knocking off its own country's politicians? Burnside doesn't believe such a thing could ever happen in the UK. But that was before he starts to suspect that a prominent MP, who seems destined to be PM sooner rather than later, could actually be a KGB plant... Another gripping episode of this awesome British spy show. I'm hooked, I am. This is Callan-level awesome.
Old 27th July 2019, 11:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default veep

Finally getting around to watch Veep season 7.Shame its the last season, but just like The Thick Of it, they couldn't really keep up with the absurdity of real politics.....

VEEP-S7-HEADER.jpg
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.

Old 27th July 2019, 06:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Started watching the fifth (and final) series of Gotham on Netflix last night.
Old 27th July 2019, 06:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

All seven series and 176 episodes finished and very much enjoyed. I can't recall any terrible episodes at all and it worked very well having the final ten episodes as one long running storyline rather than any stand alone stories.

All the characters were beautifully written and there were some truly great character driven pieces among the usual space opera stuff in this case the war between the Federation (Earth, Klingons, Bajorans) and the Dominion (The Founders, Cardassians. It also helped that story arcs continued throughout the series allowing repercussions of past episodes to influence future events and forcing characters to learn that actions have consequences.This trend was especially noticeable toward the series finale, by which time the show was intentionally scripted as a serial

It also improved in it's third series when the space station was given it's own war ship - The Defiant - which meant an end to stories constantly being set on the station. The big action sequences were excellently done showcasing some tremendous space battles that rivaled anything on screen at the time.

Comfortably the best Star Trek series to date. Recommended.

Old 27th July 2019, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The only Star Trek TV I have seen is the first season of the original show from c 1966. I've heard good things about the various more recent incarnations but have never had the time or opportunity to watch any of them.

I haven't seen all of the films either, but I do have the Stardate Collection Blu-ray box set sitting on a shelf in my room.
Old 27th July 2019, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The only Star Trek TV I have seen is the first season of the original show from c 1966. I've heard good things about the various more recent incarnations but have never had the time or opportunity to watch any of them.

I haven't seen all of the films either, but I do have the Stardate Collection Blu-ray box set sitting on a shelf in my room.
I bought this box set from Zavvi in their pre Christmas sale. It was a bargain at £35. I started on the show earlier this year and watched a series, then a series of something else then back to DS9. That way it didn't become over powering.

The only other Trek series i've seen in it's entirety is Star Trek: Enterprise, which was very good.
Old 27th July 2019, 07:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I bought this box set from Zavvi in their pre Christmas sale. It was a bargain at £35. I started on the show earlier this year and watched a series, then a series of something else then back to DS9. That way it didn't become over powering.

The only other Trek series i've seen in it's entirety is Star Trek: Enterprise, which was very good.
Because there are so many so many different Star Trek TV shows, and have to research the order and make sure I've seen all the films and any related shows so I'm not 'lost'. I would like to watch the ones with Patrick Stewart's Jean-Luc Picard as captain so I could watch the upcoming new series.
Old 27th July 2019, 07:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

DS9 was the only one after the endless Trek on rotation during my childhood. And Nos, you've never seen Spock's Brain ?? Lawdy.

Ahem.

Still stuck on that Curb
Onto the 5th series.
His best friend needs a kidney. Guess how Larry responds??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!