Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2015, 11:35 PM
Cult Addict

So put on the first episode of Whitechapel tonight for the missus then we ended up watching the whole first series. Brilliant stuff, looking forward to the next series.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 29th July 2015, 10:41 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nobody watched it that's why it was cancelled mid season.

But yes, it's a great series. Have you seen the follow up film?
Yeah watched it straight after
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

X Files: Dreamland. Experiments with UFO technology result in a rip in the fabric of reality that has a number of bizarre consequences - including Mulder bodyswapping with a Man In Black! This brilliantly bonkers story is a unique 2 parter in a couple of ways; for one, despite the UFO theme it really has no bearing on the series' ongoing mytharc which takes up every other 2-parter they ever did, and for two, it's essentially a comedy! And great fun it is too.
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

Doctor Who - The Web of Fear. Only the second time I've seen this since its miraculous return from non-existence two years ago. The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive in the London Underground only to find London evacuated and the army roaming the Underground - as are a terrifying lethal web/fungus and killer robot Yeti! This is a fantastic story with a wonderful atmosphere of claustrophobic menace at every turn. If I have a complaint, the ending does seem a little anti-climactic, but this is a six-parter that flies by at a cracking pace and is compelling stuff. One of Troughton's best.
Mojo, Demoncrat, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Doctor Who - The Web of Fear. Only the second time I've seen this since its miraculous return from non-existence two years ago. The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive in the London Underground only to find London evacuated and the army roaming the Underground - as are a terrifying lethal web/fungus and killer robot Yeti! This is a fantastic story with a wonderful atmosphere of claustrophobic menace at every turn. If I have a complaint, the ending does seem a little anti-climactic, but this is a six-parter that flies by at a cracking pace and is compelling stuff. One of Troughton's best.
Such as shame that a lot of trouton's was wiped , enjoyed nearly all of his stuff I've seen.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 4th August 2015, 10:16 AM
Cult Addict

Whitechapel Series 2. Not a patch on the first series, quite silly in comparison. Wherehas the first series dealt with a credible Jack the Ripper copycat this time around the story involves a repeat of murders committed by the Kray twins in the sixties. The story twists border on the absurd and it lacks the gloomy slightly gothic atmosphere that i enjoyed in series 1.
Old 4th August 2015, 10:55 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Whitechapel Series 2. Not a patch on the first series, quite silly in comparison. Wherehas the first series dealt with a credible Jack the Ripper copycat this time around the story involves a repeat of murders committed by the Kray twins in the sixties. The story twists border on the absurd and it lacks the gloomy slightly gothic atmosphere that i enjoyed in series 1.
I watched the first two seasons over two or three nights and completely agree with your assessment. The first one was excellent, being very dark and horrific at times, whereas the second one depended on a ludicrous plot point and, although the idea of debunking the romanticisation of the Kray twins and East End gangsters in general was good, the season was largely forgettable.

Because the third isn't free on Amazon Instant at the moment, I'll either rent it on DVD or wait until it is free.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th August 2015, 11:06 AM
Cult Addict

Not have Netflix Nos? The first three series are on there. I'm 2 episodes into series 3 and while not as good as the first it's a marked improvement on the second.
Series 3 (and series 4) is actually split into three two-part stories.
Incidentally another thing lacking in the second series was the character development demonstrated in the first.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th August 2015, 12:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Not have Netflix Nos? The first three series are on there. I'm 2 episodes into series 3 and while not as good as the first it's a marked improvement on the second.
Series 3 (and series 4) is actually split into three two-part stories.
Incidentally another thing lacking in the second series was the character development demonstrated in the first.
I didn't know was on Netflix as well as Amazon Instant, so I'll watch the third series a little later this week, after finishing the seventh (and final) season of Sons of Anarchy.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 6th August 2015, 06:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's started already - 9 weeks old and watching TV.

So Cult, this week I have mostly been watching My Little Pony, Barbar and In The Night Garden - starring the Ninky Nonk
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!