LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2016, 03:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Some of the dialogue really shines and then there are whole sentences composed almost entirely of f words.
One of my favourite scenes is the one when Bunk and McNulty investigate a crime scene with the only dialogue being variations on the F bomb.

keirarts likes this.
Old 18th July 2016, 09:19 PM
Cultist

Anybody watching STRANGER THINGS on Netflix? I'm about halfway through Season 1, and it's blowing me away more and more with every episode. What a wonderful love letter to '80s coming-of-age sci-fi/horror. This is the kind of show that inspires me to write as soon as I finish watching an episode . . . but then I can't, because I immediately have to watch another.

I can't remember the last time I watched a show that kept me thinking the child actors playing the main characters don't feel like they're acting at all. Such naturals, some of the best I have ever seen.
Old 18th July 2016, 11:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Anybody watching STRANGER THINGS on Netflix? I'm about halfway through Season 1, and it's blowing me away more and more with every episode. What a wonderful love letter to '80s coming-of-age sci-fi/horror. This is the kind of show that inspires me to write as soon as I finish watching an episode . . . but then I can't, because I immediately have to watch another.

I can't remember the last time I watched a show that kept me thinking the child actors playing the main characters don't feel like they're acting at all. Such naturals, some of the best I have ever seen.
Yes, only seen two episodes James but its brilliant. The kids really do look like they've been imported in from the 80's!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 19th July 2016, 08:42 AM
Cult Veteran

I'm probably going to start watching Stranger Things later, been watching Rose Red over the last 3 nights, and while it was good, it was also problematic, the main problem being some horrible over-acting from the lead actress and the 2nd biggest problem being that Stephen King is pretty bad at writing endings, they're always quite rushed when it comes to the conclusion.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th July 2016, 09:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm probably going to start watching Stranger Things later, been watching Rose Red over the last 3 nights, and while it was good, it was also problematic, the main problem being some horrible over-acting from the lead actress and the 2nd biggest problem being that Stephen King is pretty bad at writing endings, they're always quite rushed when it comes to the conclusion.
Thats cos the bugger meanders so much about the middle.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 19th July 2016, 09:26 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Thats cos the bugger meanders so much about the middle.
Yes, 4.5hrs for the mini-series, it took the first episode for them to even enter the haunted house and then it was all wrapped up in 10 minutes from the end and an unnecessary coda '6 months later'. That's SK for you though, the Master of Horror
J Harker likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th July 2016, 11:14 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The finale of season 2 of Black Sails was tremendous.

The attack on Charles Town, South Carolina, was worthy of the big screen as Captain Vane lay waste to the port, all canons blazing in order to save his greatest rival and enemy, Captain Flint, from execution at the hands of the British.

Black Sails really came into it's own this series. Any ideas it was Game of Thrones lite were swiftly put to the sword as characters came to the fore and their motivations became apparent. Standard stereotypes were dispensed with and it's clear the producers have a long game to play out. I just hope it's a very long game.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 19th July 2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 19th July 2016, 12:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The finale of season 2 of Black Sails was tremendous.

The attack on Charles Town, South Carolina, was worthy of the big screen as Captain Vane lay waste to the port, all canons blazing in order to save his greatest rival and enemy, Captain Flint, from execution at the hands of the British.

Black Sails really came into it's own this series. Any ideas it was Game of Thrones lite were swiftly put to the sword as characters came to the fore and their motivations became apparent. Standard stereotypes were dispensed with and it's clear the producers have a long game to play out. I just hope it's a very long game.

I was about disappoint you then Dem with the news that Black Sails has actually been cancelled. However thats not actually true even though i absolutely swear I'd read it somewhere.
After Stranger Things and Twin Peaks I'll have to give Black Sails another go, i picked up season 1 ages ago but only managed 2 episodes. Seemed really slow.
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th July 2016, 12:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I was about disappoint you then Dem with the news that Black Sails has actually been cancelled. However thats not actually true even though i absolutely swear I'd read it somewhere.
After Stranger Things and Twin Peaks I'll have to give Black Sails another go, i picked up season 1 ages ago but only managed 2 episodes. Seemed really slow.
Slow in comparison to what? It would look daft if it had dragons and zombies in it. Although there are zombies in it...maybe.

It does really pick up the pace in the second half of series one though.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 19th July 2016, 05:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Slow in comparison to what? It would look daft if it had dragons and zombies in it. Although there are zombies in it...maybe.

It does really pick up the pace in the second half of series one though.
Just slow. Not necessarily in comparison to anything. Part of the problem (with any tv show for me) is if Mrs H doesn't like it it takes a hell of a lot longer to get through. And she didn't take to Black Sails at all.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!