All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2020, 01:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finished watching Breaking Bad, a brilliant TV show and one which was long overdue a second watch – the first since 2014/15. I'd managed to forget enough for it to maintain a degree of suspense and intrigue which would be absent if I watched it again tomorrow.

I noticed that almost every episode – if not every episode – has a commentary and am considering re-watching the whole series with those commentaries to learn as much about the show as possible. There's also a disc of documentaries/featurettes and I want to watch those soon.

When I finished, I watched El Camino and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's like a long double episode which is very Jesse-centric. I wasn't sure whether it would enhance or diminish the Breaking Bad finale and I'm not sure whether either category fits; all I do know is that it's up to the standard Vince Gilligan and co. set with the TV show and left me feeling (for want of a better word) satisfied.

Since then, I've been watching Ozark and halfway through the second season. It's equally superb television which feels a bit like Breaking Bad but with some echoes of The Sopranos and Twin Peaks. Highly recommended for those who like quality crime drama shows.
Old 26th May 2020, 04:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science, season 1 eps 23-26. While I must admit to being a bit disappointed in a lot of the second half of this season, the final four episodes were much more like it for me. The stakes are high and the chips are down when Toby finally figures out exactly how he and Elizabeth were turned into geniuses, and how to reverse it - and intends to do just that to Elizabeth. But when his trap fails and Elizabeth realises what he was trying to do, she'll go to any lengths to get that same info. These episodes were actually very good, and almost seem designed as a series rather than season final (albeit with a slightly open end), with brown stuff hitting the fan all over the place. I'm looking forward to season 2 now!

Last edited by iank; 26th May 2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 26th May 2020, 09:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Sharpe-s-Sword-sean-bean-22365263-1023-652.jpg
SHARPE'S SWORD (1995)

1813. Sharpe and the South Essex Regiment is sent to a town where a spy for Wellington called El Mirador is based.
Sharpe is seriously wounded when the French are warned by a traitor that the British will attack at night.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching this.

Watched the pilot with Loretta Swit which was ok, could only watch one episode of season one with Meg Foster as Christine Cagney she was no Sharon Gless and I found her creepy looking and unlikable. So jumped straight to season 2.

Here we have powerful women without it being beating over the head. The 80s really did have the best theme songs!
Old 26th May 2020, 10:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

One thing I found very interesting in one of the last episodes of Wicked Science season 1 was Toby's admission to his friends that the genius "flashes" he (and Elizabeth) gets are almost like a compulsion, like whatever idea he gets he has to create/build, even if it's crazy. I'm not sure that's really been clear before, but it makes so much sense, both in terms of why Toby's so wary of his abilities and would be happy to get rid of it, but also for Elizabeth. I mean, Toby's done stupid things because of it, and aside from being a little immature, he's a relatively well-balanced lad. Elizabeth was clearly troubled and unhappy and dealing with some serious anger issues beforehand, so it makes it even more understandable why she's so out of control with it.
I found that really psychologically fascinating, the idea that it's almost like them having to have their fix from a drug or something. Though you'd think Toby would be a little more understanding of Elizabeth as a result... but like I said, slightly immature.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Signed up for free month of britbox. Added some shows to watch list I've not seen before

Endeavour
Miss Marpel
Cracker
Midsomer murders
Timeslip
The shadow line
Life on mars
Spooks

Which would people recommend?
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Signed up for free month of britbox. Added some shows to watch list I've not seen before

Endeavour
Miss Marpel
Cracker
Midsomer murders
Timeslip
The shadow line
Life on mars
Spooks

Which would people recommend?
The only one of those I've seen is Cracker, an outstanding show with Robbie Coltrane perfect as the flawed but brilliant criminal psychologist.

If you have seen and liked Prime Suspect, Silent Witness, Dexter, Luther, Hannibal, Lie to Me and/or Bones, you should like Cracker. The three-part episode 'To Be a Somebody' (with Robert Carlyle) in the second series is brilliant piece of television.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Depends which Miss Marple it is. The crappy ITV one, or the awesome BBC Joan Hickson ones?
Old 28th May 2020, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Depends which Miss Marple it is. The crappy ITV one, or the awesome BBC Joan Hickson ones?
BBC one, but both are on britbox, is the itv one really bad?

Started watching Endeavour which I'm enjoying , will watch Morse after I've finished them.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's camp as tits next to the Hicksons.

Like this? Share it using the links below!