All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2021, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Thy Neighbour: Season 3

The G.P.O.
The Boothe's and The Reynolds get a new phone each except they both share a line, Eddie decides to ear wig on Bill's calls until Bill pulls a prank.

The Car
Bill buys a new car much to Eddie's dismay and he decides to buy a car that's cheap and clapped out.

Eddie Returns from Holiday
Eddie and Joan return from holiday and everything has changed, Bill has been sat in Eddie's usual chair, a person from Pakistan now owns the corner shop and the new vicar is black and Bill has invited his black friends to the pub.

The Lion and the Lamb
A mass brawl is set between the whites and the blacks, Barbie and Joan try to stop it but both parties resolve it until the Chinese show up in the pub.

The Lift
Joan invites The Renolds over for a drink but Eddie hatches a plan for him and Bill to go to the pub. Arthur gets drunk on his anniversary, Eddie, Bill, Arthur and Jacko get stuck in the lift.

Barbie Becomes Pregnant
Barbie announces she has a bun in the oven, Eddie tries to convince Joan that they should start a family believing what Bill can do He can do better.

This one goes up a notch with the Nig nog, sambo and now going for chocolate drop, which is a bit racist and unexpected that I just about spat my coffee out. I never thought they would do this but passing a big golliwog to a black person was a touch of sensitivity but Barbie does try to make jokes abut the colors.

71Usl+KnmYL._AC_SL1442_.jpg
Old 21st August 2021, 12:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Was it the aired or unaired pilot episode? I watched the unaired pilot and didn't really like it but with the original I found it more funny, it is bigotry and racism from both sides.
It's the one Demdike referred to yesterday – I think it's the one that was aired

Old 21st August 2021, 12:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Love Thy Neighbour: Season 3

This one goes up a notch with the Nig nog, sambo and now going for chocolate drop, which is a bit racist and unexpected that I just about spat my coffee out.
If you have seen two series where the words "Nig nog" and "sambo" are used, how was "chocolate drop" unexpected and "a bit racist"?

Quote:
I never thought they would do this but passing a big golliwog to a black person was a touch of sensitivity
Given the racist content you've mentioned in the previous series, why was this unexpected, and wouldn't it be "a touch of insensitivity"?

Old 21st August 2021, 02:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If you have seen two series where the words "Nig nog" and "sambo" are used, how was "chocolate drop" unexpected and "a bit racist"?

Given the racist content you've mentioned in the previous series, why was this unexpected, and wouldn't it be "a touch of insensitivity"?

I wasn't expecting the " chocolate drop" to be used, I know golliwogs were a big thing back in the day but would you actually give one to a colored family and hope for the best you don't get punched i thought doing that was a it below the belt
Old 21st August 2021, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I wasn't expecting the " chocolate drop" to be used, I know golliwogs were a big thing back in the day but would you actually give one to a colored family and hope for the best you don't get punched i thought doing that was a it below the belt
That's why I was confused when you described the Gollywog incident as "a touch of sensitivity" – was that a typo and meant to be "a touch of insensitivity"?
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 21st August 2021, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
That's why I was confused when you described the Gollywog incident as "a touch of sensitivity" – was that a typo and meant to be "a touch of insensitivity"?
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion, my bad
Old 21st August 2021, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Thy Neighbour: Season 4.

Hines' Sight
Mr Baxter is moving out, Eddie decides to sit out and vet the people that come to visit hoping he won't be stuck between tow black neighbours. Things begin to change as there is a new barman Nobby which Eddie upsets on their first meeting.

Friendly
Nobby holds raffle the winner gets a trip to Paris for the weekend, Bill and Eddie hatch a plan, if either of them win they take the other leaving their wives at home but Barbie and Joan may have other plans in mind.

Working on New Year's Eve
Behind on a big order to fill at the factory and Eddie being shop steward,Mr Granger comes to a compromise, if they work new Year he will give the workers triple time. Barbie and Joan are left home alone and have a run in with a police man who they think is a burglar.

Eddie's Mother-in-Law
Eddie's mother in law comes to visit which causes problems, Bill decides Eddie should man up and tell her how he feels which results in Joan leaving him.

The Antenatal Clinic
Bill and Eddie join Barbie and Joan to the antenatal clinic which causes disruptions. Bill places a bet with Eddie that if he can go 24 hours without saying anything racial he will get £10 but Jacko may have other plans.

Two Weeks to Babies
confusion and disruptions happen when Eddie overhears part of a conversation about Speckie the window cleaner who may be the father of Joan's baby which causes humour to Bill only for it to shift to Bill that Speckie may be the father of Barbie's baby and both men go hunting for him.

To the Hospital
After a few false starts and complications with transport both Barbie and Joan are in hospital, they are told they are not due yet, Bill and Eddie decide to get drunk.

The Big Day
Eddie still waiting on the call from the hospital, he decides to get drunk and his friends need to sober him up quick when both Barbie and Joan go into labor at the same time.

In the first season Eddie gets dressed up like a colored person to prove a point, in one episode Bill dresses up as a white man just to annoy Eddie and create a prank. through out the previous seasons Jacko only seems to drink half a lager and shocks everyone when he asks for a full pint. Nobby seems to have a heart when talking to Bill and saying there will be no discrimination in his pub then calls out that he is speaking to a nig nog but at times he sticks up for Bill. What makes it a bit more comical, even though Bill and Eddie hurl insults at each other, going home from the pub drunk they basically carry each other singing.

81lyXWIV0TL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 21st August 2021, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The first season of Supernatural which introduces us too the Winchester brothers , Sam and Dean whom going around hunting supernatural creatures as well the as looking for the there farther (Henry Dean Morgan, better knowing as the baseball bat welding Negan whose hunting a Demon that killed there mother as well Sam's girlfriend .

This season the brothers battle , women in white, bloody Mary , vampires , Shapeshifters, Ghosts, vengeful spirits , possessed trucks and inbred hillbilly amongst others while continuing to hunt the yellow eyed Demon who has a special interest in Sam and his psychic abilities .

Some enjoyable stories, but at this point it's more monster of the week, unlike later season which has one arcing story and big bad.

Been watching season two as well as the first season of this.

Old 21st August 2021, 07:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Love Thy Neighbour: Season 4.

In the first season Eddie gets dressed up like a colored person to prove a point
I think you may have been watching too much Love Thy Neighbour, Mr B. The term 'coloured person' has been considered outdated and offensive for at least five years.

Warning: Why using the term 'coloured' is offensive

Why We Can’t Say Coloured, And Other Questions About Race… Answered

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 22nd August 2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 21st August 2021, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I think you may have been watching too much Love Thy Neighbour, Mr B. The term 'coloured person' has been considered outdated and offensive for at least five years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-30999175
https://www.rifemagazine.co.uk/2015/...race-answered/
I was trying not to be racist Nos and it looks like I failed at that

Like this? Share it using the links below!