Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2023, 10:52 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Watched the first three parts of The Reckoning Steve Coogan plays Jimmy Saville to a bloody tee he is amazing as him . This is a very very uncomfortable and hard watch I was struggling after the first hour I felt like I needed a break from it it's that harrowing.

Well worth a watch I'll watch the final part tomorrow night . If you do watch it be prepared honestly

I could of put this in my unseen horrors because it can only be described as a horror.
Old 16th October 2023, 08:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Watched the first three parts of The Reckoning Steve Coogan plays Jimmy Saville to a bloody tee he is amazing as him . This is a very very uncomfortable and hard watch I was struggling after the first hour I felt like I needed a break from it it's that harrowing.

Well worth a watch I'll watch the final part tomorrow night . If you do watch it be prepared honestly

I could of put this in my unseen horrors because it can only be described as a horror.
I may give this a proper go, I don't know. I watched the first fifteen minutes or so out of curiosity and as you say Nord, Coogan is very good. Problem is I couldn't stand Saville anyway, the man looked dodgy as hell anyway.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 16th October 2023, 08:24 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I may give this a proper go, I don't know. I watched the first fifteen minutes or so out of curiosity and as you say Nord, Coogan is very good. Problem is I couldn't stand Saville anyway, the man looked dodgy as hell anyway.

I finished it over the weekend honestly I was squirming in my seat watching it.
Old 16th October 2023, 08:27 AM
Cult Addict

How accurate is it?

Old 16th October 2023, 08:45 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
How accurate is it?

From documentaries I have seen and things I have read it seems pretty spot on there are interviews with the real people at certain points of each episode too and they are the people depicted in the show.
Old 16th October 2023, 06:00 PM
Cult Addict

Thanks Nord.

Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 4th November 2023, 08:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gen V

Spin Off of The Boys set after the events of Season 3 of that series which sees students at a School that prepares teenage Supes for Crime Fighting or Showbusiness. However not all is as it seems with a dark secret which sets up a potential storyline for The Boys: Season 4.

TBH, I found this to be rather hit and miss, I really enjoyed the storylines that involved characters from The Boys but the teen angst is similar to things that I've seen before.
Old 5th November 2023, 01:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched all of The Reckoning and thought it was very well-written, carefully researched, balanced, and extremely powerful.

From the videos I have seen on YouTube, it's an accurate portrayal of how Jimmy Savile hid in plain sight, using his personality and platform to abuse vulnerable people around him, then completely hoodwink the authorities.

It was a very brave role for Steve Coogan to take and he is extremely convincing as Jimmy Savile with cannily accurate mannerisms and vocal intonations, compensating for the lack of a physical resemblance.

It's an important piece of TV with some of it quite tough to watch, though some scenes were tastefully handled in the way the director chose to leave the worst of Savile's excesses to your imagination rather than show them in an exploitative way.

I have also seen The Long Shadow which is a dramatisation of the police investigation into the 'Yorkshire Ripper.'

George Kay's writing is extremely well-judged, as is Lewis Arnold's direction as, like The Reckoning, this is never exploitative – it doesn't feature a single murder scene – as you only see the aftermath of Sutcliffe's crimes and the police effort into finding the culprit.

I didn't know much about the crimes and investigation, so this was very informative. I was very surprised at the length of Sutcliffe's murder spree and how the investigation was deeply flawed, impaired by police prejudice and a blinkered focus on minor details.

The Long Shadow is a quality drama series with brilliant period design, costumes, and make-up, and stellar performances by the ensemble cast, particularly Toby Jones, David Morrisey, Jack Deam, and Lee Ingleby.

All seven episodes are available on ITV X and I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Old 9th November 2023, 08:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Michael Emerson (Lost, Person of Interest) eating up the scenery as a serial killer who cons everyone into believing he's just a harmless fantasist, gets off and then starts stalking his lawyer in season 5 of The Practice. He won a guest actor Emmy, which is unsurprising given he's so memorable I still instantly recognised him four years later when he popped up in Saw. He walks this fine line between archly camp and deeply creepy.
Old 13th November 2023, 03:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Really impressed with the second season of Loki. This show is seriously better than most of the post-Endgame films films. It wasn't a disappointment - unlike Good Omens season 2 which was quite underwhelming (couldn't care less about the coffee or record shop owners!). btw I should probably also mention the quality of the Loki soundtracks, excellent.

Like this? Share it using the links below!