Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

oaxaca 21st March 2011 08:26 AM

BLACK DEATH is down to 7.95 at base; the cheapest I've ever seen it!

Black Death (Blu-Ray) Blu-ray | base.com

antmumford 21st March 2011 12:07 PM

Blimey, this is a bargain too. Only 13.99

Family Guy Presents: It's A Trap - Triple Play Limited Edition (With T-Shirt, Collector's Cards And Script) (Blu-ray, DVD & Digital Copy) (2 Discs) (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK)

napalm-in-the-morning 21st March 2011 12:34 PM

Good value as a collectible but I thought It's a Trap was horribly weak and strained. A watch once only experience!

dream demon 23rd March 2011 05:35 PM

You can now find the Dawn of the Dead Arrow Blu-ray on Amazon Marketplace for only 7 for those who have yet to pick it up. That's an absolute steal :)

dream demon 23rd March 2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 136506)
Total Recall had a sub-par release in the US, but the UK Blu is one of the very best Blu-ray's I've seen so far. A/V quality is stunning. It's a top-notch HD transfer IMO.

How does the German SE version compare to the UK? Is it the same transfer?

PaulD 23rd March 2011 06:05 PM

A Bay of Blood Bluray for 10.39 on Play.com!

kingofwitches666 23rd March 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 137936)

Nice spot Paul. Just ordered. :D

tollickd 23rd March 2011 09:19 PM

Dawn Of The Dead (Blu-Ray & 2 DVD) (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK) 10.99

dream demon 26th March 2011 01:45 AM

Amazon have the BFI Flipside Blu-rays discounted to under 6 each which I reckon is a total bargain as there are some very interesting titles. I assume they are clearing out the old stock for the next wave of DVD+BD combies with the new style packaging.

bdc 26th March 2011 09:15 AM

That is a bargain,I picked up lots of those for much more some time ago... :lol:

tollickd 28th March 2011 07:46 AM

Disney buy one get one free! at play.com and many other sites! ends on May 1st

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th March 2011 10:22 AM

I've been waiting for this since before Christmas as there are several titles that I really want but have been holding off buying, so today's the day!

nekromantik 28th March 2011 11:05 AM

they have dead sno for 5.99 but out of stock atm

tollickd 28th March 2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 139091)
they have dead sno for 5.99 but out of stock atm

What's dead snow like?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th March 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 139100)
What's dead snow like?

It's brilliant and one of the best comedy-horrors made in recent years. It's definitely worth picking up at that price but, if you want to read a bit more about it, you can always check out my review (shameless plug I know!).

tollickd 29th March 2011 06:19 AM

Spaghetti Westerns Blu-ray Collection (3 Discs) (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK) 14.99

darthelvis 29th March 2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 139064)
Disney buy one get one free! at play.com and many other sites! ends on May 1st

There is a bit of a loophole on the play site where if you add a third film you get it at half price. 3 disney movies for around 25!

Having a wee boy we have majority of the disney movies but can't pass up a bargain like that and trying to get enough Disney movie reward points to get the Ltd ed Tron Legacy from the website.

tollickd 29th March 2011 08:08 AM

Good spot

Hugh 29th March 2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 137311)
yeah it was a total pile of pooh, defo get Pontypool because the picture is amazing...

Pontypool over at Asda online for 4.93. Ordered blind. :)

A few others on the cheap too. Night of the Demons remake, Near Dark, and some BFIs.

antmumford 29th March 2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 139344)
Pontypool over at Asda online for 4.93. Ordered blind. :)

A few others on the cheap too. Night of the Demons remake, Near Dark, and some BFIs.

Pontypool is well worth a fiver on BD. I've already got the DVD so don't think it's worth an upgrade for me but a good price nevertheless.

Near Dark I got cheap too and to be honest I was so disappointed with the PQ. It annoyed me so much that I turned it off before it ended cos it was distractingly bad in places. Real shame cos it's a great film and deserved better treatment.

pedromonkey 29th March 2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 139350)
Pontypool is well worth a fiver on BD. I've already got the DVD so don't think it's worth an upgrade for me but a good price nevertheless.

the PQ on the blu is worth the fiver alone, it's a great disc too.

Behemot 29th March 2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 139350)
Near Dark I got cheap too and to be honest I was so disappointed with the PQ. It annoyed me so much that I turned it off before it ended cos it was distractingly bad in places. Real shame cos it's a great film and deserved better treatment.

I completely agree with this. I also experienced problems with the soundtrack - I frequently noticed that the sound was "choppy" (in lack of a better word) when the music score consisted of long sustained notes - making me suspect it was a conversion from 25fps to 24fps. This completely ruined my viewing experience, as I kept getting distracted by the "choppy" Tangerine Dream score. I compared it with my Region 1 DVD, and it did not have the same problem. Worthless Blu-ray. I have wondered about checking out the Region A Blu-ray, but I don't want to waste my money in case it is the same transfer and audio.

nekromantik 29th March 2011 04:57 PM

damn could have saved 1 if I waited for pontypool ha ha

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th March 2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemot (Post 139380)
I completely agree with this. I also experienced problems with the soundtrack - I frequently noticed that the sound was "choppy" (in lack of a better word) when the music score consisted of long sustained notes - making me suspect it was a conversion from 25fps to 24fps. This completely ruined my viewing experience, as I kept getting distracted by the "choppy" Tangerine Dream score. I compared it with my Region 1 DVD, and it did not have the same problem. Worthless Blu-ray. I have wondered about checking out the Region A Blu-ray, but I don't want to waste my money in case it is the same transfer and audio.

The 'Let's cash in on Twishite' artwork don't help either. :mmph:

antmumford 29th March 2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 139527)
The 'Let's cash in on Twishite' artwork don't help either. :mmph:

Lol! Yeah tell me about it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th March 2011 10:30 AM

Near Dark is one of my favourite vampire movies but also one of the worst Blu-ray sets I own with horrible artwork and variable picture and sound quality. It deserved much better.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th March 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 139618)
Near Dark is one of my favourite vampire movies but also one of the worst Blu-ray sets I own with horrible artwork and variable picture and sound quality. It deserved much better.

This is why I haven't picked it up yet. I too love Near Dark, and hope that one day it receives the decent release it deserves.

Leman 30th March 2011 12:44 PM

I opened up the page with the intention of replacing my old shiny AB DvD but after reading the comments I think Ill just close the page again.

Oh wait My Name is Bruce for 4.93

antmumford 31st March 2011 04:56 PM

Was just having a browse through the Play.com Blu-ray sale and came across this The Decameron (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray at Play.com (UK) for only 5.99. I've never heard of it before, is it any good?

There's also lot's of BFI titles too for only 5.99

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2011 05:05 PM

It certainly sounds interesting and, going by the synopsis at the IMDb, should be worth a watch.

However, I'd also like to hear from someone who's seen it to know if it's worth 5.99.

antmumford 31st March 2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 139952)
It certainly sounds interesting and, going by the synopsis at the IMDb, should be worth a watch.

However, I'd also like to hear from someone who's seen it to know if it's worth 5.99.

Just looked and it's part of a trilogy. All 3 parts are only 5.99 each too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2011 05:27 PM

I read the bit about the trilogy but didn't check to see if they were available and, if so, how much they cost. Less than 18 for all three seems pretty good as long as the films are good and have lasting value.

Nemesis 31st March 2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 139952)

I've seen it and got it - it's part of Pasolini's Trilogy of Life. I think it's pretty good - it's divided up into several stories, some are better than others; lots of grotesque situations and figures. The first segment is gross, but pretty funny. But it's a film that the more I rewatch, the less I like it.

The next one is the Canterbury Tales, which is generally regarded as the weakest. I would have agreed with that the first time I watched it; but on several rewatches, I've actually preferred it to the Decameron. Again some stories are better than others. Lots of bawdy humour and flatulence - it also features an appearance by Tom Baker, who shows more than perhaps you would like. Robin Askwith also pops up.

The final is the Arabian Nights - generally regarded as the best, which I totally agree with. I really love this one. If this is going for 5.99, I would advise getting this one.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2011 05:31 PM

Thanks for the description of the trilogy -- looks like a trip to Play.com is in order!

tollickd 1st April 2011 05:48 AM

Home - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery April Fools day special deals

Paul@TheOverlook 1st April 2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 139965)
Thanks for the description of the trilogy -- looks like a trip to Play.com is in order!

They're great films.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antmumford 1st April 2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 140066)

Nice find, I just picked up the Terminator Salvation T-600 Skull for only 22.99. Result! I almost bought it when it first came out for about 70 or something.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st April 2011 08:23 AM

I picked up half a dozen things and was tempted by Se7en, but then realised they jacked up the price by 1 to put it in the sale -- it was 7.99 previously and is still that price at Amazon!

tollickd 1st April 2011 08:40 AM

Yeah I saw that I was looking at Greezone SB but waited and got it for 8.99 euros.

oaxaca 1st April 2011 10:07 AM

Just saw BRIGHTON ROCK in the play april fools sale for 8 but then found it was 50p cheaper brand new from an Amazon Marketplace merchant so bought that one instead :p