Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2008, 12:28 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I disagree - who honestly wants a censored version of anything? Not me! I appreciate the fact that the BBFC is an obstacle to releasing films uncut, but I personally prefer to see the intended director's vision, even if it may be unpalatable to some. This is not to demean any of the hard work by the guys at Shameless, they're doing a sterling job. But honestly, I never thought that I'd see the day where genre fans actually applauded the work of the censors - almost makes you sound like a James Ferman fan.
It would be nice if they offered "animal cruelty free" versions as an option though on most of the Cannibal films (which on one film they did happily ) then at least those who wish to see the animal suffering can and those who do not can also view it,this could be done by the same method they did on the Cannibal film,that way both viewers can be happy.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:46 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Never mind the cannibal flicks - this is a truly revolting piece of work. Borderline paedophiliac material dressed up as high art. It's an appalling and irresponsible piece of cinematic crap. In case you hadn't guessed, I hate the movie. I'm surprised the BBFC passed this uncut, containing as it does graphic and sexual descriptions of child abuse while old men play with little boys. Yeah...wonderful. Knock yourself out. Total garbage.

Was that a bit harsh?
Maybe it is regarded as art and therefore escapes being cut ? if what you describe is true (which I do not doubt,I have not seen it ) that sounds like double standards on behalf of the BBFC to me if they allow that sort of thing.
Old 30th April 2008, 08:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoFluffyBunny View Post
It would be nice if they offered "animal cruelty free" versions as an option though on most of the Cannibal films (which on one film they did happily ) then at least those who wish to see the animal suffering can and those who do not can also view it,this could be done by the same method they did on the Cannibal film,that way both viewers can be happy.
Without the animal scenes the films wouldn't be as powerful . I say animal scenes and not animal cruelty as I don't see them as cruel. All good quick kills, watch and enjoy or be repulsed as thats the reaction the directior was looking for. If it wasn't for some contrversal animal scenes the cannibal genre would be long forgotten .
Old 30th April 2008, 03:37 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Without the animal scenes the films wouldn't be as powerful . I say animal scenes and not animal cruelty as I don't see them as cruel. All good quick kills, watch and enjoy or be repulsed as thats the reaction the directior was looking for. If it wasn't for some contrversal animal scenes the cannibal genre would be long forgotten .
In the films they are not "good quick kills" as you put it there is actual suffering from the animals themselves and you can see it on the screen

I think you can still watch and enjoy the cannibal genre of films without the animal cruelty being shown and still have an impact.
Old 30th April 2008, 05:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I think the cut in NYR is extremely well done. Often the edit is so well made that the scene actually comes out better. The strangling in Maniac goes on forever and the cut version is actually an improvement.

I have a couple of releases of both, "Maniac" and "NYR", sitting on my shelf and while I don't mind watching the BBFC censored versions (because the editing on these is actually quite good and probably can't be spotted by anybody unfamiliar with the uncut versions), I'd hardly see them as an improvement.
The strangulation in "Maniac" is certainly tougher to watch in its uncut form due to its length and very raw nature, but that's mostly due to Spinell's immensely frightening and crazed out performance in the scene. The scalping, which follows shortly after, is a neat effect and a gorehound's eye opener, but it's the strangulation part, which makes me feel uneasy even after countless viewings ....so, sometimes- depending on my mood- I'd go for the "softer" UK DVD.

On the animal cruelty issue: I love the cannibal flicks and loathe the animal cruelty. It's an unsolvable contradiction I learned to live with....I guess most fans probably feel the same about this.
But in the case of "Mountain of the Cannibal God", I clearly prefer the original version over the extended cut, regardless if Martino considers the added beastiality to be an improvement. It's an odd curiosity, at best, in that form for me....

Last edited by Peter Neal; 30th April 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 30th April 2008, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

I'm thinking I may go back and give the cannibal films a rewatching, except Cannibal Terror, I already know that's a hoot.
Old 30th April 2008, 06:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Carry on cannibal.........
Old 30th April 2008, 06:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Cannibal Detour : Hells Highway is good for a laugh
Old 1st May 2008, 02:11 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Cannibal Holocaust is something of a favourite with me, sorry. I find it grim but compelling viewing. Ortolani's haunting, yet beautiful, score underpins all the nastiness...and yet I feel myself drawn back for repeated viewings...there's nothing like it.
Old 1st May 2008, 03:40 AM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Quote:
Cannibal Holocaust is something of a favourite with me, sorry.
No need to apologise, its an absolute masterpiece and one of my all time favourite films, which I think should only be seen uncut.

Salo's good too. As for the fogging issue raised on this thread: I used to have a fair few Japanese films that suffered optical censoring/fogging etc. and I find it really irritating. I can't really see the point in Shamless releasing cut versions of cannibal flicks, as the uncut versions are readily available. Sure it will please some folks who don't like to see animal violence, but then again they'd lose out to the purists who wouldn't buy a cut film, and those who aren't offended by such scenes, not to mention those who already have a uncut copy from elsewhere...then again, there are a lot of casual buyers who'd know no difference....still, seems a bit pointless when there are titles like 'Night of the Demon', 'Mardi Gras Massacre' and lots of cult Euro rarities etc. etc. they could release uncut, which haven't been released anywhere else, catching the attention of the rabid fans and the casual buyers.

Last edited by Someone Weird; 1st May 2008 at 04:04 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!