Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2008, 07:24 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I don't often get the time for a 'rake',but a good second hand shop is worth it's weight in gold,eh vince?
Old 12th April 2008, 07:26 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Sure is. Many a bargain to be found there. Especially VHS and deleted DVD titles.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I sometimes regret selling the old vhs collection.........especially when a dvd company brings out a no-effort cover for a release which was stunning on vhs!
Razorback's artwork on dvd was one of the biggest disappointments ever
had to buy the aussie version for the fantastic artwork
Old 12th April 2008, 07:46 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Yeah i had to sell my tape collection when I moved down to London - thousands of tapes bit the dust and it was very distressing. My boredom with all these super slick DVDs helped give birth to the less-then-slick Shameless and funnily enough I've started collecting the old tapes again. What is distressing though is that i had a lot of titles in really good nick and some of the stuff from eBay is pants.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Was tempted with the old vhs's a couple of months ago-but resisted....
Old 25th April 2008, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I got the BFI dvd release of the classic BBC ghost story The Stone Tape for ?3.00 from my local Help The Aged.Quite a bargain as it was never for sale anywhere I looked for under its ?19.99 RRP.I think it's now OOP.
Old 25th April 2008, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

I've still got hundereds and hundreds of the bloody things and can't shit them, starting to rip the trailers taking the covers out and chucking any that have had a dvd release.
Old 25th April 2008, 04:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
I sometimes regret selling the old vhs collection.........especially when a dvd company brings out a no-effort cover for a release which was stunning on vhs!
Razorback's artwork on dvd was one of the biggest disappointments ever
had to buy the aussie version for the fantastic artwork
I have the superior Umbrella R4 release but I'm baffled why the "grisly deleted scenes" were removed from the film as they are not that graphic.The documentary is also pretty good apart from the annoying use of the films admittedly good score in the background which is a bit too loud.

Last edited by mark meakin; 25th April 2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 28th April 2008, 06:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Totally agree mate,....the film would have benefit from reinstating those scenes.......who knows?Maybe we'll get a director or producer's cut one day....
Old 30th April 2008, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The strangling in Maniac goes on forever and the cut version is actually an improvement.
I disagree - who honestly wants a censored version of anything? Not me! I appreciate the fact that the BBFC is an obstacle to releasing films uncut, but I personally prefer to see the intended director's vision, even if it may be unpalatable to some. This is not to demean any of the hard work by the guys at Shameless, they're doing a sterling job. But honestly, I never thought that I'd see the day where genre fans actually applauded the work of the censors - almost makes you sound like a James Ferman fan.

But hey, if the only version available is a cut version, I'll take it...at least until a fuller version emerges, which is why I have no qualms in picking up Venus in Furs - even if it has suffered BBFC interference.

Like I say, I don't want to be argumentative - but to say that these censor cuts make the movies better is just madness! The whole point of Maniac is to present a profile/case study of a serial killer and to detail his exploits. Toning down the strangulation may make it more palatable - but I don't think decency and good taste is what Lustig was aiming for.

Like this? Share it using the links below!