LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2012, 05:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Nope. Aside from The Great Dictator, I hadn't seen any of Chaplin's films.

Triangle was a real surprise, as I had put off seeing it mainly because I couldn't stand Christopher Smith's earlier film, Creep. I thought Triangle was excellent, however (although I can this initial reaction being diluted on re-watches).
Assuming you liked The Great Dictator and The Gold Rush, there are some great films in store if you want to catch up on Chaplin's filmography – my favourite is City Lights.

I some Triangle at the cinema and thought it was great, so bought the BD and have seen it plenty of times since (including Christopher Smith's commentary) and it never disappoints.
Old 8th November 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If I did have children, I'd buy the box set of the original cartoons, currently retailing at just over nine quid and let them watch those.
As a 'stand-alone' comment, that would get a 'like'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Nope. Aside from The Great Dictator, I hadn't seen any of Chaplin's films.
Quote:
Assuming you liked The Great Dictator and The Gold Rush, there are some great films in store if you want to catch up on Chaplin's filmography – my favourite is City Lights.
Yeah - and check out 'The Circus'. Slapstick at it's best!

AND...it has a monkey on a tightrope!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th November 2012, 06:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
It's part of the Joy Sales Legendary Collection so I'll pick it up soon.
Have you seen it?
I haven't, but it sounds as though it may be interesting.
bdc likes this.
Old 8th November 2012, 07:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Yeah - and check out 'The Circus'. Slapstick at it's best!

AND...it has a monkey on a tightrope!
I'll definitely be looking to check out more of Chaplin's films in tht near future.

Back to my recent viewings, I'd HIGHLY recommended Noisy Requiem for anyone looking for something a bit different and more on the surreal side. A real treat to watch, despite it's long run time.
Old 8th November 2012, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

not many films viewed in the past two weeks as i've been working my way through 100s of episodes of The Simpsons. But here's what i've watched...

BODY SNATCHERS (1993) ***
Good solid B studio picture from an unlikely director. Abel Ferrarer's take on Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is good paranoid fun. The cast do their best and even if he is woefully under-used, Forest Whitaker's paranoid major is a good character. Worth watching in a double feature with PuppetMasters.

PUPPETMASTERS (1994) ***
loosely based on Robert Heinlein's book, this is again a good solid B picture about a covert alien invasion. Has shades of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and a good sinister role for Donald Sutherland. The film had a lot of trouble during production and at times you can see it, but on the whole a good 90 minute film in the style of the X-Files.

BEAST IN THE CELLAR (1975) ****
I watched this while suffering from a nasty stomach virus and even though i was throwing my guts up, i still found this quite atmospheric and at times chilling. Good performances from Beryl Reid and Flora Robson and some nice production design. A Good Tigon horror. Damn us brits knew how to make horror films.

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE (2007) **
I think the more i watch this film, the more i realise how tough it was to write. Some of the jokes are simpson's funny but most of the time the gags seem forced and barely raise a chuckle. Now only if they'd done a feature length tree house of horror style portmanteau film. The animation however is great.

THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT (2012) ***
Overlong but sporadically funny rom-com with a likeable lead in Jason Segal who seems to be the best comedy writer coming out of hollywood at the moment. But the film does suffer from it's 124minute runtime and could have been cut down to 90 minutes. The Elmo and Cookie Monster scene is very funny though.

DRIVE (2011) *****
This film is just incredible, from the cast, the direction and cinematography to the brilliant 80s electro-synth soundtrack, violent without being gratuitous and dreamlike in it's vision. Outstanding film.

THE SWEENEY (2012) ****
Good gritty british crime thriller that echos Heat at points but ends with a disappointing car chase through a caravan park. Ray Winston is good as Regan but he's not John Thaw and Ben Drew is watchable as Carter but he's not Dennis Waterman. If they changed the names of the characters and the title of the film then it wouldn't divide critics so much as there's not really anything resembling the classic TV show here. Still one of the better British crime thrillers of recent years and probably Nick Love's best film.
Old 8th November 2012, 07:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy What films have you seen recently?

What films have you seen recently?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 936full-the-ipcress-file-poster.jpg (99.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MPW-55638.jpg (59.8 KB, 4 views)
bdc, sawyer6 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 8th November 2012, 08:59 PM
Cult Master

images.jpg

I know its been said a million time about the animal cruelty in cannibal films so ill keep it to a minimum i didnt like it.

Moving on..... apart from the obvious after hearing so many bad things said about this i actually really like it. Some of the gore effects were done well even tho the hooks through the breasts make me a little weak in the stomach( a past incident i had with my pierced nipple ) Not as grim as Cannibal Holocaust but still a really good film.
Old 8th November 2012, 09:12 PM
Cult Addict

THE THING.(prequel). It's almost impossible to watch this without constantly cross referencing to Carpenter's film in your head as the action unfolds in this new film. There's little that can be done to bring anything new to the proceedings as the film has to dovetail into JC's film at the end of the day, so basically you end up with a replay of the Carpenter film with slight variations to plot and action scenes. That said, it starts fairly swiftly with no real attempt to build anything more than rudimentary characterisation of the cast and rightly so, we all know they are going to die in the end, so why bother. Instead it concentrates on action at the beginning and the end of the film, with a middle section that fails to create the paranoia of Carpenter's film but gives it a go.

An okay time waster at best with some incredibly impressive stunt work involving fire.
Old 8th November 2012, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict

TOMMYKNOCKERS.

Not seen this since the 90's (and the mid nineties at that) after I picked it up from the video store after school. I remember not liking it at the time, I'd just read the book and remember the film feeling like a letdown...well I found the us dvd release in a local market so I thought I'd give it a go.

Returning to it after all these years.. Well I liked it. Its far from the best stephen king adaptation, but its also far from the worse. It's certainly aged a bit better than Golden years! Jimmy Smits from NYPD blue is great and it passed the time well enough in spite of the 3 hour running time, and I liked the way it tried to draw parralels with the tommyknockers and man's relationship to nuclear power.
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 8th November 2012, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
TOMMYKNOCKERS.

Not seen this since the 90's (and the mid nineties at that) after I picked it up from the video store after school. I remember not liking it at the time, I'd just read the book and remember the film feeling like a letdown...well I found the us dvd release in a local market so I thought I'd give it a go.

Returning to it after all these years.. Well I liked it. Its far from the best stephen king adaptation, but its also far from the worse. It's certainly aged a bit better than Golden years! Jimmy Smits from NYPD blue is great and it passed the time well enough in spite of the 3 hour running time, and I liked the way it tried to draw parralels with the tommyknockers and man's relationship to nuclear power.
The movie that coined the phrase 'Phrying the Coke'?
That shit's nasty...
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!