Like Tree179952Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2013, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
Dracula (1958) Terence Fisher (Lionsgate/Hammer blu-ray)
I watched this film tonight with the audio commentary by Marcus Hearn and Jonathan Rigby. Excellent film (but that is nothing new) and a very entertaining and insightful commentary. I love this blu-ray, a true gem.
I haven't checked out the commentary yet, but I did enjoy the one they did for Curse of Frankenstein so I'm sure this one is just as good
monkeyscreams likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th April 2013, 10:30 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Prefer this to Eastern Promises although that was also excellent.
I prefer Eastern Promises (but that may have something to do with Naomi Watts), but I agree, both are excellent films.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Image hasn't loaded, what film is it?
Sorry, It's Alexander Korda's "Things to Come"
Demoncrat likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 17th April 2013, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

La Maledicion de Frankenstein (Jesus Franco, 1972).
Howard V reaaally excels himself this time, chewing the scenery like a hungry man shown a fully stocked larder, la Romay looks fetching in gypsy mode but what for I'm nae sure haha.

Definitely one I'l be revisiting......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th April 2013, 06:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Samsara and it was spectacular, a bit of a darker view of life than Baraka. The images were breathtaking in the extreme with blacks on my Sammy never looking better especially in the night time city scenes with some shots appearing almost 3D. There doesn't seem to be any of the sharpening or compression artefact's that were evident in Baraka.
The Audio was superb also.
On the technical side of things according to the extras it was filmed on 65mm Neg then converted to 8K, then on to a 4K scanner (i think i have that right). It for me provides excellent demo material and i highly recommend viewing it.

Old 17th April 2013, 06:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I had a lovely "Dwight Frye" time last night with "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". I enjoyed it so much that I think I'll do a couple more Universals tonight.

Monster Magnet
Old 17th April 2013, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict

DARK SKIES.

In spite of the dire reviews I braved this one with my mate adam for orange wednesday. Actually better than it was made out to be. It's far from perfect, theres some glaring continuity issues ( a bruise changes sides on one head of one of the characters, the buise is a big plot point.) and a weak script (the lead character is an architect, one of those really lazy careers script writers seem to give characters when they lack any better ideas) and at least one big plot is raised then forgotten. That said the scare scenes are for the most part well executed and I reckon this attempt at poultergeist with aliens will probably develop a cult fanbase on home video which is probably more the films natural home. I'll probably end up buying it, i've seen far worse.
troggi likes this.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I had a lovely "Dwight Frye" time last night with "Dracula" and "Frankenstein". I enjoyed it so much that I think I'll do a couple more Universals tonight.

Yupp! I went "Dracula's Daughter" & "The Bride of Frankenstein". I may be in for a long ride, I have at least another five "Universals" to hand and this week is our pay week so watch out CEX!

Monster Magnet
Old 18th April 2013, 02:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm not sure what to make of this film. It certainly is a bit contrived and silly but the beauty of the photography is extraordinary. That is one of the very few positive features of this film. I felt like the writing was extremely weak. I love surreal cinema and the fact that it will take you on a journey into the abyss with no distinct narrative path but this struggled with it's identity immensely. At times it wanted to be a narrative but there wasn't enough meat on the bones to chew. That being said, I'm not sure about a recommendation but I'm glad I watched it at least once.
Delirium and troggi like this.
Old 18th April 2013, 06:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post

I'm not sure what to make of this film. It certainly is a bit contrived and silly but the beauty of the photography is extraordinary. That is one of the very few positive features of this film. I felt like the writing was extremely weak. I love surreal cinema and the fact that it will take you on a journey into the abyss with no distinct narrative path but this struggled with it's identity immensely. At times it wanted to be a narrative but there wasn't enough meat on the bones to chew. That being said, I'm not sure about a recommendation but I'm glad I watched it at least once.
It's an unusual film, isn't it? I've always had a soft spot for Northfolk, and felt its narrative shortcomings were just about compensated for by some stunning cinematography and curiously surreal touches. Been years since I saw it last, so probably needs a reevaluation.

Like this? Share it using the links below!