Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179940Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2013, 03:06 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Oh yeah, it's lovely. Tiny little place that's not got the faintest whiff of them doing it to make a colossal amount of money. We've been there on numerous occasions - it's very small but they've got a nice selection of well looked-after animals that include cheetahs, tigers, lions, monkeys, meerkats and the like. Nothing too big but the enclosures are nice and the animals look happy and at ease.

Here's the website.
Have they added giraffes like it said at the end of the film?
Old 4th August 2013, 07:22 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
The girl who plays the barmaid in the club is Calico Cooper - the daughter of Alice

She has appeared on tour with her father, usually playing a victim!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZhIikQUnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPFpvQWbKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcahFJpkD6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBAlEo_Pm8Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
How many daughters does he have? I thought one played the nurse.
Yes. Calico is the Nurse in the film of 'The Ballad of Dwight Frye' from the 'Brutally Live' tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPFpvQWbKU

In addition to her (b.1981), Alice has a son Dash (b. 1985), who plays in a band called Co-Op (formerly known as Runaway Phoenix); and another daughter Sonora Rose (b. 1992).
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th August 2013, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
Have they added giraffes like it said at the end of the film?
They hadn't the last time I went there but that was almost a year ago now.
Metallicbomb likes this.
Old 4th August 2013, 08:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Night Of The Devils

Excellent Eurohorror flick from the early 70s, with great atmosphere and excellent special effects.

Obviously it's much easier said than done ( rights issues, financial viability etc ) but it's fantastic to see something like this pop up on Blu-ray that hasn't seen the light of day before. Are you listening, Shameless?...

Highly recommended.
Old 4th August 2013, 10:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Saw The Conjuring today and wow did it live up to my hype!
I been going on about this non stop since October last year as even the story that announced it made me excited. Im a big Wan fan so this was a deffo watch for me but it went beyond that once I heard about the positive test screening last year!

Just like typical Wan, the cinematography is breathtaking, the acting from Vera, Patrick and the kids is great! There is a constant feeling of dread and atmosphere created in this flick and best of all no cheap jump scares!

My movie of the year so far and by far best horror in YEARS!

9/10
I had completely the opposite reaction. I wasn't going to go because I find Wan a banal filmmaker who simply regurgitates every tired horror movie trope, every single film. I should have trusted my judgement.

Personally I'm tired of being force-fed these lazy, sterile, studio product ghost stories that are being churned out at the moment. They're like the Mcdonalds of horror movies and they're simply not scary.

I personally expect better than this naff check-list of clichés, but clearly people are lapping it up.
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

Really enjoyed this low key little chiller. Writer/director Rodrigo Gudiño is the founder of Rue Morgue magazine and this is his first full length feature, and a rather nifty little feature it is too. Vanessa Redgrave is the biggest name here, but it's no spoiler to say she's really just present in voice over. It's more a one man show as the recently deceased Rosalind Leigh's estranged son returns home after inheriting her house. She was a devout Christian, her home full of religious iconography and paraphernalia; he is without faith, and as the story unfolds we learn of their relationship.

There's a little bit of House of the Devil as the lead explores Leigh's fabulous house and it's a credit to both the lead actor and director that our attention is held throughout. Sure there's a couple of conventional horror movie tropes, but these are used sparingly (and thus more effectively) and there's a deep pathos to the story, as well as a few nice surprises.

It's no masterpiece, but it's one of those subtle little gems you often find relegated direct to video.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 4th August 2013, 12:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I had completely the opposite reaction. I wasn't going to go because I find Wan a banal filmmaker who simply regurgitates every tired horror movie trope, every single film. I should have trusted my judgement.

Personally I'm tired of being force-fed these lazy, sterile, studio product ghost stories that are being churned out at the moment. They're like the Mcdonalds of horror movies and they're simply not scary.

I personally expect better than this naff check-list of clichés, but clearly people are lapping it up.
Yes it did not have anything that's not been done before but it was a well made and executed flick.

I hate recent remake after remake.

Each to their own.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
troggi likes this.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 4th August 2013, 01:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Yes it did not have anything that's not been done before but it was a well made and executed flick.

I hate recent remake after remake.

Each to their own.
The problem is The Conjuring was more remake than some remakes I've seen.
troggi likes this.
Old 4th August 2013, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict

RED 2.

Easily as fun as the first and a great afternoons entertainment. Witty banter and lots of action with a fairly light-weight plot as an excuse to make a film about relationships like it's predecessor RED 2 is a a lot of silly fun. Anthony Hopkins gets fee reign to overact and chews the scenery up marvelously.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th August 2013, 03:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
RED 2.

Easily as fun as the first and a great afternoons entertainment. Witty banter and lots of action with a fairly light-weight plot as an excuse to make a film about relationships like it's predecessor RED 2 is a a lot of silly fun. Anthony Hopkins gets fee reign to overact and chews the scenery up marvelously.
Thats good to know. I look forward to seeing it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!