Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2012, 06:28 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

images.jpg

Great film Bogart top notch as usual. Also POD the dog is close to stealing the show.

000aabogiedog-1.jpg
Old 5th June 2012, 07:00 PM
Cult Addict

Prometheus: Oh er.
:Spoiler warning:
Yes, this was my most anticipated movie of the year.
Yes, In some respect's it did live up to the hype.
Yes, the first 2 Hours are sheer bliss for me, peacing together the nick-nack's and going "Oh my bloody god is that ....." every few moments when I see something I recognised.
But i'm going to talk about the last 10 or so minuet's because, by god did they piss me off something terrible.

First, the 'Wagon Wheel'. This is gonna become the new Nuking the Fridge for me, the new Frying the Coke, the new Jumping the Shark.
Here the 'Space Jokey' Ship from Aliens has just been ramed by the SS Prometheus and is sent hurtling back to solid ground and it's side, causing it to role.
Now if Ridley Scott want's to have his Loony Tunes moment set in HIS universe, then that's fine by me......But when you have two charatcters RUNNING THE **** AWAY from it in a perfect straight line, not even twigging that they could move a couple of dozen feet to the left and avoid being crushed by the drokking thing, then I start to get a little peeved.
Is it over, hell no! When the ship crushes one of the lead females (Guess, it's the bitchy, sour faced one. Jog on Mr Scott) what does the other one do?
Cour infront of a rock formation and wait for it to crush her. Now I though "No. No he isn't. He can't possibly be so cliche" and yep, it happens.
The rock formation stop's the MILLION TONE SHIP from crushing her without even a shard of metal splintering in her direction. WRONG!
Suspension of disbelief? Even Ed Wood gave his characters more realistic luck!
More? Oh for the love of god. But this is where it get's really nasty for me.
A few muinets earlier we saw the last Space Jokey board the control deck of the ship JUST LIKE IN ALIEN (This scene is prolonged for optimum fangasm sake. It works) but we then cut to the collision.
So, then I presumed "right any moment where gonna cut back to his still breathing body and the chest buster is gonna pop out and, Hey presto, Alien set up' but NO! He get's the **** out of the ship ALIVE AND KICKING and chases our heroin into an escape modual (a part of the Prometheus that was ejected before collision, incase of any survivers) and goes all Michael Myers on her. OK, so Scott wanted him alive so he could make us shit ourself's, fine, he's gonna snap her neck and wander back into the ship and BAM! Chest Buster time. NO!
Instead a great big freacking Octopus chest buster extracted from the same female lead earlier in the film, attack's the grey bastard and mouth rapes him.
IN THE CAPSUAL. Not in the DECK OF THE ALIEN SHIP. But in the CAPSUAL.......Continuity just cried.
Then, Ridley Scott has the cheek to explain that there was reveal there was more than one ship and the Heroin and the decapitated android travel off into the sunset to have Halo Jones style adventures yaddayaddayadda.
.................................................. ...............
Then we get the chest buster scene. IN THE CAPSUAL. **** me Riddly Scott.
And, then, the Alien is about 5ft tall and look's more like the monstrosity from Aliens vs. Ninja.

Over all, the first two hours present a sci-fi movie to rival 2001 or Dune, but the ending hurt me physicaly and stanck of George Lucas.
So i'm making two rating's, one for the first 2 Hours and a possible directors cut that should improve the ending, with any Luck.
A Freakin' awsome

Now for the last 10 minuets as they currently stand.
D Stinking

DVD and BD collection
Old 5th June 2012, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Prometheus: Oh er.
:Spoiler warning:
Yes, this was my most anticipated movie of the year.
Yes, In some respect's it did live up to the hype.
Yes, the first 2 Hours are sheer bliss for me, peacing together the nick-nack's and going "Oh my bloody god is that ....." every few moments when I see something I recognised.
But i'm going to talk about the last 10 or so minuet's because, by god did they piss me off something terrible.

First, the 'Wagon Wheel'. This is gonna become the new Nuking the Fridge for me, the new Frying the Coke, the new Jumping the Shark.
Here the 'Space Jokey' Ship from Aliens has just been ramed by the SS Prometheus and is sent hurtling back to solid ground and it's side, causing it to role.
Now if Ridley Scott want's to have his Loony Tunes moment set in HIS universe, then that's fine by me......But when you have two charatcters RUNNING THE **** AWAY from it in a perfect straight line, not even twigging that they could move a couple of dozen feet to the left and avoid being crushed by the drokking thing, then I start to get a little peeved.
Is it over, hell no! When the ship crushes one of the lead females (Guess, it's the bitchy, sour faced one. Jog on Mr Scott) what does the other one do?
Cour infront of a rock formation and wait for it to crush her. Now I though "No. No he isn't. He can't possibly be so cliche" and yep, it happens.
The rock formation stop's the MILLION TONE SHIP from crushing her without even a shard of metal splintering in her direction. WRONG!
Suspension of disbelief? Even Ed Wood gave his characters more realistic luck!
More? Oh for the love of god. But this is where it get's really nasty for me.
A few muinets earlier we saw the last Space Jokey board the control deck of the ship JUST LIKE IN ALIEN (This scene is prolonged for optimum fangasm sake. It works) but we then cut to the collision.
So, then I presumed "right any moment where gonna cut back to his still breathing body and the chest buster is gonna pop out and, Hey presto, Alien set up' but NO! He get's the **** out of the ship ALIVE AND KICKING and chases our heroin into an escape modual (a part of the Prometheus that was ejected before collision, incase of any survivers) and goes all Michael Myers on her. OK, so Scott wanted him alive so he could make us shit ourself's, fine, he's gonna snap her neck and wander back into the ship and BAM! Chest Buster time. NO!
Instead a great big freacking Octopus chest buster extracted from the same female lead earlier in the film, attack's the grey bastard and mouth rapes him.
IN THE CAPSUAL. Not in the DECK OF THE ALIEN SHIP. But in the CAPSUAL.......Continuity just cried.
Then, Ridley Scott has the cheek to explain that there was reveal there was more than one ship and the Heroin and the decapitated android travel off into the sunset to have Halo Jones style adventures yaddayaddayadda.
.................................................. ...............
Then we get the chest buster scene. IN THE CAPSUAL. **** me Riddly Scott.
And, then, the Alien is about 5ft tall and look's more like the monstrosity from Aliens vs. Ninja.

Over all, the first two hours present a sci-fi movie to rival 2001 or Dune, but the ending hurt me physicaly and stanck of George Lucas.
So i'm making two rating's, one for the first 2 Hours and a possible directors cut that should improve the ending, with any Luck.
A Freakin' awsome

Now for the last 10 minuets as they currently stand.
D Stinking
I agree with every word. A fantastic film until the last 10 minutes.

It was much better than I initially expected after the average reviews popping up everywhere

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 5th June 2012, 08:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Prometheus SPOILERS

I agree with a lot of what Hawkmonger says, although my main gripe with the film was that it seemed like the first 25 minutes of Alien done thrice over and then a big spectacular ending. After the film ended I asked my girlfriend what she thought and she said "It was good, yeah, but it just seemed to be a bit of a bad day out didn't it?" and I agree - it needed more plot. Some of the characters were so under-developed it was just silly - the bit at the end where Shaw asks the captain to fly Prometheus into the Engineers' ship seemed like it was meant to be a moving and emotive bit with the whole thing about the bet and the line "I'll pay you on the other side" stuff and maybe it would have been had those characters said more than 15 words each throughout the whole film. Definitely far too many characters in it and the deaths of the crew generally had little repercussions or acknowledgment anyway. Oh and the last 15 seconds were unnecessary and just lazy fan service, although I suspect I'm in the minority with that.

These are all script issues and the film itself was great - well directed, incredible set design, general great performances (Fassbender stole the show) and the 2D was spectacular.

Overall, I did enjoy it a hell of a lot though, just wish the script/story had been stronger.
Old 5th June 2012, 08:52 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

[spoiler]I really wish Scott had said the planet was LV-426, and had the engineer go back to the derelict after he had been impregnated at the end. I would've accepted anything If he had done that simple thing.[/spoiler]
Old 5th June 2012, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Inception
Old 5th June 2012, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

AvP2 Requiem

My third viewing for this film and certainly the last.

Its one of those films i feel i should like but i can never enjoy it.

How can the Brothers Strausse mess the core elements up so terribly?

What more do they need? Aliens, check, Predators, check, audience anticipation and understanding, check. Seriously its not rocket science to make an enjoyable romp with these elements.

Where did they go wrong? Obviously i guess most of you have suffered it so you know where they went wrong. They filmed the entire bloody thing in pitch black. Why???????

The Alien and Predator creatures have been in a total of seven films between them, we know what they bloody look like, you don't need to hide them in darkness for ninety minutes. For christ sakes, in one film a Predator patched itself up in someones bathroom, and in Alien Resurrection the camera lovingly studied the Xenomorphs when they were held captive. Such a stupid directorial error.

Added to the fact the unknown actors had less talent than an X Factor wannabe it makes me wonder how the project got past the concept stage.
Susan Foreman and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
AvP2 Requiem

My third viewing for this film and certainly the last.

Its one of those films i feel i should like but i can never enjoy it.

How can the Brothers Strausse mess the core elements up so terribly?

What more do they need? Aliens, check, Predators, check, audience anticipation and understanding, check. Seriously its not rocket science to make an enjoyable romp with these elements.

Where did they go wrong? Obviously i guess most of you have suffered it so you know where they went wrong. They filmed the entire bloody thing in pitch black. Why???????

The Alien and Predator creatures have been in a total of seven films between them, we know what they bloody look like, you don't need to hide them in darkness for ninety minutes. For christ sakes, in one film a Predator patched itself up in someones bathroom, and in Alien Resurrection the camera lovingly studied the Xenomorphs when they were held captive. Such a stupid directorial error.

Added to the fact the unknown actors had less talent than an X Factor wannabe it makes me wonder how the project got past the concept stage.

I found the only way to enjoy it was to watch it in black and white and pretend it was an Ed Wood film.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Thing - 2011 US/Can d:Matthijs van Heijningen Jr

A poor SF/horror effort akin to a below par SyFy Channel film with a higher budget. Not especially well made - at least, there is nothing interesting about it - and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is simply too poor an actor to carry the lead in a film. The script is not good.

By about the 50 minute mark, I was finding my attention wandering. Not something I can recommend.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
[spoiler]I really wish Scott had said the planet was LV-426, and had the engineer go back to the derelict after he had been impregnated at the end. I would've accepted anything If he had done that simple thing.[/spoiler]
But wouldn't that have been a crap ending too? Engineer goes back to ship and sits down. THE END (but its good cuz it spells out wot we saw in Alien see?!). Why would he go back and sit in the pilot seat of his wrecked ship anyhoo? I admire Scott for not taking the needless continuity route (Red Dragon is the worst for that) . . .
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!