Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2011, 11:24 PM
Cult Rookie

For me, Tarantino movies are like soup - and I like soup. Often lots of different ingredients, some of which you would never consider eating in a pure form or putting with another but by the time it's all mulched together you've got something palatable and easy to consume - Dusk Till Dawn being an obvious example.

I really don't think he's made a bad film and have to agree with mr420 - Tarantino has an ear for dialogue.
Old 14th January 2011, 08:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
For me, Tarantino movies are like soup - and I like soup. Often lots of different ingredients, some of which you would never consider eating in a pure form or putting with another but by the time it's all mulched together you've got something palatable and easy to consume - Dusk Till Dawn being an obvious example.
That SO needs to get "quote of the week" on Sarah's Newsletter

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 14th January 2011, 08:54 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoGoldfinger View Post

I really don't think he's made a bad film and have to agree with mr420 - Tarantino has an ear for dialogue.
Yeah, I’d have to agree ~ QT movies are like soup – not really a main meal - no real content or nutritional value – just lots of salt and water …my food analogy for his “ear for dialogue” would be “Waffles”.

I’d say he’s more like Marmite!
Old 24th February 2011, 07:59 PM
Cultist

From Dusk till Dawn is definitely my favorite. That film is a ton of fun and Salma's dance with a snake is the icing on the cake. Pulp Fiction was quite good as well. Lot of great lines in that one.
Old 24th February 2011, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love Tarantino as writer/director, don't get me wrong, but True Romance is still my favourite of all the films he had a hand in.
Old 26th April 2011, 03:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Quentin Tarantino

What do you think of him as a writer/director/actor?

What do you think is his best film? My vote would go to Jackie Brown which is certainly his most mature film and benefits from working from a novel rather than an original screenplay. Don't get me wrong, I think Pulp Fiction is a fantastic film, but Tarantino's direction in Jackie Brown is better than in any other film he's made.

As I put in another thread:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
I am the total oppisite, I really like Deathproof. I will agree there is a bit of annoying dialouge, but Kurt Russle is fantastic, and the car chase scene at th end is mind blowing. One of my favourite things about the film is the choice of music to images, the crash where dave dee dozy beaky mick & tich is playing is up there with the best Tarantino has done.
I agree about the car chase and the soundtrack but felt Kurt Russell was overacting a little too much. As for the 'annoying dialogue', it seemed as if Tarantino was simply rehashing the breakfast table scene from Reservoir Dogs and the women, in both scenes, were bizarrely speaking like Tarantino only with female voices!

I know this is something for a different/new thread, but I feel as if he has regressed as a filmmaker since Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown and don't really rate his more recent films from Kill Bill to Inglorious Basterds.
What do you think of his latest films?
Old 26th April 2011, 03:44 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I was just about to post this in the other Quentin Tarantino thread.

Quote:
I know this is something for a different/new thread, but I feel as if he has regressed as a filmmaker since Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown and don't really rate his more recent films from Kill Bill to Inglorious Basterds.
I don’t think regressed is the word to use at all. Just because someone does something different doest automatically make it a step backwards. Tarantino always said that Kill Bill was going to be his action film, and viewed as an action film I think that it holds up extremely well against his older works.

Deathproof is meant to be a homage to grindhouse films, I think that the problem QT has is that he has done it too well. How many times do you watch an old 70's slasher or carsploitation where the action is great but characters and plotting leave a bit to be desired? I know it is a little bit of a strecth to say that QT purposely made parts of Deathproof bad, but its not impossible.

As forInglourious Bastards this may be something we have to agree to disagree on. In my opinion it is up there with Jackie Brown as possibly QT's third best film. It has a fantastic cast (even Eli Roth comes off well), with Christoph Waltz putting in a film stealing (and lets not forget oscar winning) performance, and the scene in the cinema where Brad Pitt and his men try to pass as Italien I think is up there with royale with cheese and ear cutting.

I guess my opinions make me a bit of a Tarantino fan boy, but when he makes such excellent films I dont understand how anyone doesn't want to be one.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th April 2011, 03:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

One thing I didn't get about Death Proof was the whole grindhouse aesthetic which only lasted about 15 minutes! Something else was the obsession with Vanishing Point which isn't, by any stretch the imagination, a grindhouse film.

As for Inglorious Basterds, my biggest gripe was that it didn't feel like a complete film but a series of scenes tenuously linked together. The opening scene, the one in the farmhouse, was extremely well written, directed and acted that the rest of the film felt a bit baggy. Christoph Waltz, as you said, was easily the best actor on view but I really don't know what Brad Pitt was trying to do with that jaw wired shut nonsense performance.
Old 26th April 2011, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I don't think Tarantino has ever made a bad film.

If you ever listen to him discuss films, be it his own work, Hostel, the work of Enzo G Castellari etc, you can tell he is no different to us, the posters on Cult Labs.

If Jim could fix it for me, i would love to sit down with him and talk film for an hour.

My faves in order.

1 - Reservoir Dogs
2 - Pulp Fiction
3 - Jackie Brown
4 - Inglourious Basterds
5 - Four Rooms - The Man from Hollywood
6 - Kill Bill vol 1
7 - Death Proof
8 - Kill Bill vol 2
Pete likes this.
Old 26th April 2011, 04:06 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

As for Inglorious Basterds, my biggest gripe was that it didn't feel like a complete film but a series of scenes tenuously linked together. The opening scene, the one in the farmhouse, was extremely well written, directed and acted that the rest of the film felt a bit baggy. Christoph Waltz, as you said, was easily the best actor on view but I really don't know what Brad Pitt was trying to do with that jaw wired shut nonsense performance.
I dont see how you can say that the scenes are 'tenously linked'. There are a number of different storie lines an character arcs that weave through all of the different parts. There is Shosana's story, Landa's Story, and The Basterds plot, and they all fit together perfectly.

I agree that the film is pretty much a serise of long dialouge scenes, but I didnt find any of them to be baggy, in fact I was hanging on every worrd, especially in during the scene in the basement bar.

As I said before Nos: I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

:edit: Oh yeah and I loved Brad Pitts performance too, utterly hilarious and perfectly fitting imho:edit:
antmumford likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!