Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:05 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think what you have to remember is that Jackie's 64 years old now. There's no way you could expect him to perform action like he did when he was 30. He's had to adapt and become more of an actor like in the films i mentioned. The ones you are basing it on are all western based kids romps whereas Shinjuku Incident is one of the more brutal films he's been in, even in that he's not the Jackie of old he's Jackie the actor.

Another that came out after Rush Hour (just) is Who Am I? For the first hour it's not great but when they get to Rotterdam it's superb with one of the best stunts (the building descent) and the best fight sequences of Jackie's career.
I've seen Who Am I loads, I actually thought it was from just before Rush Hour.

Yeah I can appreciate that once he was well into his 40s he's not going to be able to do anything remotely like what he was once capable of.

I'll give Shinjuki Incident a go, Jackie never struck me as someone who could do much acting other than slapstick comedy type stuff though, even his more dramatic acting in the glory days is a bit ham fisted.

That Dark Blade one doesn't sound promising though lol

I just don't think you'll ever get anyone making martial arts films as good as the ones Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao were making in the late 70s to early 90s. All the folk involved in them were different class.
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
I've seen Who Am I loads, I actually thought it was from just before Rush Hour.

Yeah I can appreciate that once he was well into his 40s he's not going to be able to do anything remotely like what he was once capable of.

I'll give Shinjuki Incident a go, Jackie never struck me as someone who could do much acting other than slapstick comedy type stuff though, even his more dramatic acting in the glory days is a bit ham fisted.

That Dark Blade one doesn't sound promising though lol

I just don't think you'll ever get anyone making martial arts films as good as the ones Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao were making in the late 70s to early 90s. All the folk involved in them were different class.
I agree there. Especially in Hollywood where it would be all CGI crap anyway.

Who Am I? came out the same year. In Asia it was just before Rush Hour but internationally just after.

I presume you've seen the Tony Jaa film Ong Bak? That's very good.
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:20 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree there. Especially in Hollywood where it would be all CGI crap anyway.

I presume you've seen the Tony Jaa film Ong Bak? That's very good.

yeah seen Ong Bak and Tom Yung Goong. Liked both of them, definitely had more of an old school feel to them.

Even folk like Donnie Yen and Jet Li couldn't touch Jackie etc
Old 23rd September 2018, 05:19 PM
Cult Master

My take on 'The Shinjuku Incident', posted in the 'What Films Have You Seen Recently' thread, back in October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The Shinjuku Incident

Very much an unconventional Jackie Chan movie. It is a violent drama, with no comedy, death-defying stunts or martial arts involved

In places, it reminded me of a Takeshi Miike film, and DePalma's version of 'Scarface'

Highly recommended

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd September 2018, 05:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Even though Jackie Chan films are not as good as they used to be i still look forward in watching and normally will make a 100 mile round trip to go and watch his Chinese releases on the big screen in London. The last few movies i saw were Bleeding Steel and Kung Fu Yoga which are far from classic but do contain a few memorable Jackie moments. The Foreigner which i saw on Netflix was one of his best in recent years an well worth watching even if you are not a Jackie fan.

Looking at his upcoming movies it seems there will be more sequels to his western hits including Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon and Karate Kid.
Old 19th May 2019, 10:15 AM
Cultist

Anyone read Jackie's latest autobiography Never Grow Up?

Don't really know why he needed another one as there was one out in the late 90s but it's a decent read.

As much as Jackie has always been a childhood hero of mine, I've never ever bought into his good guy persona that he's manufactured over the years and after reading this it's clear he's an even bigger wank than I previously thought. He pretty much admits he was a total dick over the years when it came to his wife, son and his money.

Annoys the fu*k out of me he still peddles the whole "does his own stunts" thing when it's common knowledge in HK that he hasn't done since the late 70s and if you look closely it's easily noticeable when it's not him. If the camera doesn't clearly show Jackie's face it tends not to be him. I'm not talking about vehicle stunts etc He's got a chapter in the book about the Project A clock tower fall, but never once mentions that Mars did the jump as well or that Mars actually does a lot of his stunts in the film. Think this shite just came about in the mid 90s when he was promoting Rumble in the Bronx.

Anyway I can always separate the arsehole from the art and Jackie is still the greatest thing to come out of HK even if he is a bit of a prick.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 19th May 2019, 11:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

So it's nae him jumping aboot in The Foreigner then?? Hmmm. Rewatch methinks ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th May 2019, 05:28 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
So it's nae him jumping aboot in The Foreigner then?? Hmmm. Rewatch methinks ....
Nae idea, not seen it, is that the one where he takes on the IRA
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th May 2019, 10:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aye. It's quite serious tbh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th May 2019, 10:26 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Aye. It's quite serious tbh.
Might buy this one. As long as there's a scene where Jackie punches Gerry Adams and then realising he was punching Gerry a bit too hard, shakes his hand and rubs his knuckles as he's hurt it on Gerry's head.

Like this? Share it using the links below!