Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2018, 09:28 AM
Cultist

Das anyone have the asian version of Jackie Chan's Protector?
This is the better version than official UK release which is the standard US version!

I have a brand new factory sealed dvd of JC's Protector asian uncut version with english subs, audio is chinese.

If anyone is interested I could sell the dvd.
Let me know
Old 20th September 2018, 04:46 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Dragons Forever (1988, Sammo Hung)
The premise sounds loopy, but as this is just set piece city on heat, who cares? Seasoned with his usual romantic/ comedy plot mainstays, this is non stop!! And do I see a returning Benny Urquidez in the background??? Ka ching!! Recommended.
Yuen Biao is superb in this. Probably the best with the 3 legends in it after Project A.
Old 20th September 2018, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
Yuen Biao is superb in this. Probably the best with the 3 legends in it after Project A.
It certainly has it all. Rewatch imminent!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th September 2018, 06:46 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It certainly has it all. Rewatch imminent!!
There are a few bits where he flips over railing on to the narrowest beams as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

His fight with Billy Chow is brilliant as well. Not sure who doubles for Billy when he lands on that step, but it looks like the guy should be dead after it.
Old 20th September 2018, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed. Tbh I've come to Chan late ... but am making up for it sharpish. I have venerable vhs sensei keeping my path true etc

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:23 AM
Cultist

He's absolute garbage from Rush Hour onwards but anything up until then is usually worth a watch. If anyone mentions that Rush Hour is their favourtie Jackie Chan film or that he does all his own stunts I'm usually sick in my mouth a wee bit as they tend to not have a clue at the approximately 20 years of Jackie Gold that preceded the Rush Hour era pish.

I used to rent Jackie videos when I was wee boy then play Jackie Chan lol it was quite hard I couldn't quite do the stunts. Practived for ages trying to climb that wall and gate like he does in Police Story. Just wasn't happening.

I know a lot of his films have been released on blu ray recently. But if you don't mind DVDs still get the Hong Kong Legends DVDs for the Bey Logan commentaries and interviews with all the greats like Dick Wei, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Fung Hak On, Mars, Lee Hoi San etc
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
He's absolute garbage from Rush Hour onwards
No he's not.

Both New Police Story (2004) and Shinjuku Incident (2009) are both excellent films.

Last years The Foreigner is by all accounts very good as well.

Yes there are some turkeys i'll grant you and i haven't seen all of his films from Rush Hour onwards but to say they are all garbage and dismiss twenty years of film making is just bollocks.
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, The Foreigner is JC putting his stamp on the modern action film.
Granted fluff like The Tuxedo is just that. Have you seen Dragon Blade JM? Rush Hour it aint

[B]
Old 23rd September 2018, 02:20 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No he's not.

Both New Police Story (2004) and Shinjuku Incident (2009) are both excellent films.

Last years The Foreigner is by all accounts very good as well.

Yes there are some turkeys i'll grant you and i haven't seen all of his films from Rush Hour onwards but to say they are all garbage and dismiss twenty years of film making is just bollocks.

Compared to his glory days output, it's pretty rubbish. I haven't seen The Foreigner, but New Police Story isn't good by any stretch of the imagination from what I remember.

I'll admit maybe I need to go watch some of the ones suggested but I'm basing this on Rush Hour, The Tuxedo, Shanghai Noon, The Medallio, The Karate Kid, The Spy Next Door etc

So I'll give Shinjuki Inicident and Dragon Blade a go. Any other decent ones?
Old 23rd September 2018, 02:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Compared to his glory days output, it's pretty rubbish. I haven't seen The Foreigner, but New Police Story isn't good by any stretch of the imagination from what I remember.

I'll admit maybe I need to go watch some of the ones suggested but I'm basing this on Rush Hour, The Tuxedo, Shanghai Noon, The Medallio, The Karate Kid, The Spy Next Door etc

So I'll give Shinjuki Inicident and Dragon Blade a go. Any other decent ones?
I think what you have to remember is that Jackie's 64 years old now. There's no way you could expect him to perform action like he did when he was 30. He's had to adapt and become more of an actor like in the films i mentioned. The ones you are basing it on are all western based kids romps whereas Shinjuku Incident is one of the more brutal films he's been in, even in that he's not the Jackie of old he's Jackie the actor.

Another that came out after Rush Hour (just) is Who Am I? For the first hour it's not great but when they get to Rotterdam it's superb with one of the best stunts (the building descent) and the best fight sequences of Jackie's career.
Susan Foreman likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!