Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2010, 03:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I have most of the white boxed ARROW DVD's and BD'sand a few older releases like Oasis of the Zombies etc, but I think i'll pass on BR as its not a film I enjoyed much anytime i've seen it . Sorry guy's, but the rest of the recently announced releases are on my shopping list and will definetly be added to my collection on release .
Old 26th July 2010, 09:25 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I think all the old Tartan dvd's were region free, including their weird decision for an NTSC one so hopefully they're not too strict with Battle Royale.
I think the Toei film company made a mistake with the contract,which Tartan exploited,released BR as an NTSC disc as well [which was MUCH better quality than the PAL release and was mainly for export].BR suffered when it was released at the cinema due to 9/11 happening around the same time,the ICA had a great festival of Kinji Fukasaku films including 'Battles Without Honor And Humanity','Graveyard Of Honor' and one of the finest anti war films ever made 'Under The Flag Of The Rising Sun',there were about 2 other people in the cinema when I watched these,which was very shocking for such classic films !
Now if Arrow could release Fukasaku's pop art crime flick 'Black Lizard' [think Diabolik and you're half way there !] that would be incredible,the only worldwide release is a bootleg,It hasn't been released in Japan [outside of rare VHS and laserdisc releases],not exactly sure why,Yukio Mishima's widow is rumoured to have a problem with it,Mishima is briefly seen as one of the Black Lizards living sculptures,the film is based on a novel by Edogawa Rampo,not Mishima,so I have no idea how Mishima's widow could block the release ? Does anyone know for sure.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

This is great news!

I love the film, I have both Tartan releases and would love to see a re-mastered version of the original cut – as nice as the director’s cut is; all those damn basketball scenes and the multiple endings attached to the film really hinder it!

Great choice for Arrow though. Can’t wait to see this in hi-def!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 26th July 2010, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I also gotty agree with that, the basketball scenes were really ... strange and unfitting and the one scene at the end that they just repeated was annoying, but apart from those I like the changes that have been made.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:32 AM
Cult Rookie

Yeah the original cut is the one,hate the other version.Shame more people aren't more familiar with his other output,BR is a great film but minor compared to some of his other films.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:01 PM
Cult Rookie

Another blu-ray sale here. I can't wait.

Arrow are releasing great titles and I can't help myself!!!
Old 26th July 2010, 12:02 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I can tell that all my dvd shelves will consist of soon are white Arrow Video boxes! So many cool titles announced recently.
It is getting that way, isn't it?

I'll definitely have the BD of this. I was loaned the film some years ago and always meant to pick up the DVD, but never did. So this will be going into my burgeoning Blu-ray collection. Dammit...I told myself I'd be sensible with my BD spending...but I'm too weak...I can't help myself...
Old 26th July 2010, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Maybe this helps: Every time you think you spend too much on BDs, think of even bigger freaks who spend even more on BDs.

For example: On July 1st, my Blu-ray collection consisted of about 320 titles ... today I cracked Nr. 400 ... now THAT'S scary
Old 27th July 2010, 04:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Battle Royale on Blu-ray? Count me in! It is a tremendous movie and one that would look so much better in high definition any news on covers or special features?
Old 30th July 2010, 11:34 AM
Cultist in Training

Oh. My. God

I really should visit this forum more often, as this news has just made me wet myself. I'm an insane Battle Royale fan, owning all the releases, the novel, and even the Mangas. After Tartan went under, and Palisade bought their library, I gave up hope of ever seeing BR on Blu-ray. Especially as Palisade seemed loathed to reply to any mails concerning BR.

But the news that Arrow now have Battle Royale, could only be outdone if my Euro Millions numbers come up tonight.

Now then.... all Arrow need to do is release 'No Blade of Grass' on dvd, and I will have their babies.

Like this? Share it using the links below!