All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2015, 10:20 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Reread The Whisperer In Darkness.
I was right, it isn't cinematic at all, being a collection of letters structure wise. but I still say the film could have been done differently....just saying.
One of my favourite Lovecraft stories. Much better than Call of Cthulhu which bored me.
Old 13th August 2015, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America
by John Waters

John Waters is putting his life on the line. Armed with wit, a pencil-thin mustache, and a cardboard sign that reads 'I'm Not Psycho', he hitchhikes across America from Baltimore to San Francisco, braving lonely roads and treacherous drivers. But who should we be more worried about, the delicate film director with genteel manners or the unsuspecting travelers transporting the Pope of Trash?

So far so hilarious... I'm ashamed to say that it took me a few chapters to realise that the three parts of the book are as follows, Part 1, the fictional 'best possible outcome' of the trip. Part 2 focuses on the worst outcomes and again is fictional while Part 3 is the actual real life events!

I'm loving it an recommend it to any fan of JW, the paperback has just come out too, I'm reading the hardback I got for Christmas, yes my reading list is that long I've still got books from Christmas I haven't read yet!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th August 2015, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
One of my favourite Lovecraft stories. Much better than Call of Cthulhu which bored me.
Yes, I have nothing against the story. Just the way it was done. Not quite as awful as Dagon though....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2015, 07:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Yes, I have nothing against the story. Just the way it was done. Not quite as awful as Dagon though....
Don't remember Dagon that well. Best story I've read of HP's is Shadow Over Innsmouth. Worst by a country mile is Mountains of Madness.
Old 14th August 2015, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Don't remember Dagon that well. Best story I've read of HP's is Shadow Over Innsmouth. Worst by a country mile is Mountains of Madness.
Twas referring to S Gordon's film of TSOI, which is called Dagon.
Dagon the story is one of his shorter ones, so this may account for it not leaping from your memory ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th August 2015, 08:26 PM
Cult Addict

I remember reading it. Only 2 or 3 pages, one of the first of his stories i ever read. Can't remember much about it though.
Dagon the film I've never seen.
Old 15th August 2015, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I remember reading it. Only 2 or 3 pages, one of the first of his stories i ever read. Can't remember much about it though.
Dagon the film I've never seen.
Protagonist gets washed up on an island etc etc. I'd keep it like that It's up to you, but it is farcical imo.

Finished Hello America. Literally there is a deus ex machina at the end. Several in fact haha. Hmmmm. Pity David Lean couldn't have made the film

[B]
Old 7th October 2015, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rereading IT by a chap who certainly knows how to type called Stephen King.
He certainly seems to have something about small towns hiding untold horrors. Whilst I understand that it has been 28 years since I read this (where have all the flowers gone etc....), this rather episodic tale has still something, am about half way through and they still haven't regrouped as adults!! The devil is indeed in the detail with SK.
The Famous Five never had to deal with a timeless evil from beyond the stars!!! But it does at least reassure me that the TVM was a watered down version of this rather bloody tale. Regardless of what Wallace said in the comm, filming certain scenes would have been verboten in that format, something they will have to deal with if indeed they are remaking this.

At least I know where my mortal fear of balloons came from

[B]
Old 8th October 2015, 11:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nearly finished!

For me, the thing with King (and nearly every writer ahem...well, maybe nae J Archer ) is that at the centre of every one of his tales is a kernel of "truth", in that I'm pretty sure that the Ben character is basically SK, from the biographical material that I've read about him. So at the heart of this bloodbath is a story of unrequited love. Something I certainly wouldn't have noticed the first time around. Less Lovecratfty (his phrase cough) than I remembered as well, as the basic tennent is there, but told in an anti-florid fashion. Yet again the adults are clueless, as the "magic" of childhood is replaced by the drudgery of capitalism's endless demands.

This doth not explain my looking over my shoulder whilst walking up my local "creepy" path though.

[B]
Old 8th October 2015, 12:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm currently reading Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

It's part 2 in a trilogy of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, the first of which is in post-production with Tim Burton and starring Eva Green and Asa Butterfield. I'm excited.

These are great books, the story is written around a bunch of 'odd' photographs the author found in a flea market and wanted to know the background of the subjects so he made one up and included the photographs in the book. It's technically a YA book as the characters are teenagers but you'll find it in the Horror/Fantasy section of Waterstones as well as YA section!
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!