Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2015, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Last edited by MuckyFunster; 8th October 2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Rotate the picture
Old 19th October 2015, 09:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson.

A gripping Gothic page turner about the trials of the Lancashire witches. Winterson's prose prove disturbingly grotesque and often the graphic description of real life destitution and poverty reads far worse than any deeds at the sabbat.

However witches and witchcraft are the crux of the story and the novel provides a historical social commentary on witchcraft and the real life persecution of witches or those thought to be witches.

The novel was published by Hammer and it would be fantastic to see this turned into a film (albeit watered down, there's a lot on offer here that would be a no-no for the BBFC)

Old 20th October 2015, 06:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Phantasm Exhumed: The Unauthorized Companion by Dustin McNeill.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th October 2015, 11:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445991399.420981.jpg

I'm currently reading "My Friend Dahmer", a graphic novel written by a guy who was friends with Jeffrey Dahmer in High School. I'm around half way through at the mo, savouring the artwork. The story is fairly short, but it is interesting. The writer is obviously thinking back to Dahmer's character at school and his strange penchants, and of course missed opportunities to raise issues with the teachers or other adults.

The book is thought provoking and seems to evoke a strange nostalgia for my school days (I'm 30 in December, so I don't have to think back too too far!) and some of the characters and people I knew. Every school has its "weirdos" and mine was no different, but obviously you would never mention anything to the grown ups for fear of being labelled a grass. It must be extremely difficult for people flung into the limelight for having connections with another person, such as this. Especially nowadays when teachers and schools are connected so closely with social workers and are expected to have taken a real responsibility for helping to raise a person and identify anything.
Old 28th October 2015, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Murder Book Of JG Reeder by Edgar Wallace.
Short but bittersweet tales of the underworld and beyond. Mark Heap would be great as JGR imo, from the character description, he would do it justice.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th October 2015, 10:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

On the pile waiting to be started....

Old 29th October 2015, 12:31 PM
Cult Veteran

I just got the new Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo book 'The Movie Doctors' where they lovingly pick apart films and describe how they might be better, as well as features such as which film has the most evil child in it It looks really fun.

I'm also reading Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, which is less fun but an excellent book so far!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th November 2015, 01:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Picked up Stephen King's latest effort - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.
Old 13th November 2015, 02:32 PM
Cult Addict

I'm about halfway through Pet Sematary and i have to say its probably the best Stephen King book I've read. Not that I've actually read that many. I usually find his writing a bit too long winded.
Old 13th November 2015, 02:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

First SK novel I read when I was 11 or 12
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!