Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2015, 09:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is simply brilliant. It's one of H.P.Lovecraft's masterpieces, and one of the very best stories ever put on paper.
Not got to that one yet prince, what are your thoughts on Mountains of Madness?
Old 27th February 2015, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Lovecraft trying to smile is far more frightening than anything he ever wrote.
EEEEEK!!! How true.

Picked up a biog of Thomas Ligott,i "Grimscribe" in local library!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th February 2015, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Talking of Herbert and Lovecraft, reading both of these but not at the same time. Trying to get into Lovecraft's stories better by understanding the man.

There is a quote inside from Jacques Bergier stating "Perhaps one needs to have suffered a great deal in order to appreciate Lovecraft..."

True?
61t713N9dQL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9780230706958.jpg

On the Clive Barker front I think The Great and Secret Show is fantastic but for a lighter tome, with some dark parts and easy to put down and pick back up I liked The Thief of Always.

Photo-Oct-23-7-57-42-PM.jpg

ae308f2862f54cd5da504a31de424e0b.jpg
Old 27th February 2015, 09:50 PM
Cult Addict

I think one needs patience to appreciate Lovecraft, don't get me wrong by and large i love his work but even for a writer of his era i find him a touch long winded. Compare him to his contemparies, Robert E.Howard in particular and he becomes even more wordy. He's an author who I've always felt had an incredible imagination that unfortunately surpassed his ability to put his ideas to paper.
As for James Herbert I've only read two books, Others and The Dark, both brilliant. I've got The Jonah to read next.
I've yet to read Barker, i picked up a hardback copy of The Great and Secret Show for 20p in a charity shop ages ago but haven't touched it yet.
Old 27th February 2015, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Talking of Herbert and Lovecraft, reading both of these but not at the same time. Trying to get into Lovecraft's stories better by understanding the man.

There is a quote inside from Jacques Bergier stating "Perhaps one needs to have suffered a great deal in order to appreciate Lovecraft..."

True?
Attachment 157746

Attachment 157747

On the Clive Barker front I think The Great and Secret Show is fantastic but for a lighter tome, with some dark parts and easy to put down and pick back up I liked The Thief of Always.

Attachment 157744

Attachment 157745
These two books are good for exploring Lovecraft and his world.

S.T. Joshi is the leading expert on him and Tyson a well respected occultist who comes to Lovecraft from that school of thought.

If you really want to go out on a limb, check out occultist Kenneth Grant's work and his views on the reality of the Mythos being real.

As to having to have suffered in some way to understand Lovecraft, try reading HP's collected poems! Be warned some are violently racist and beyond redemption even within the social context they were written in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (24.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 51zwujNySjL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 28th February 2015, 12:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

finished Bill Gibsons latest Peripheral, which while not his best is still a great read. Started reading Kim Gordon's autobiography Girl in a Band which 100 pages in has been a fascinating account of her life up to the point that sonic Youth began. I have been alternating it with a collection of Kim Newmans where the bodies are buried collection which is great.
Old 2nd March 2015, 01:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Recently finished David Schow's 'The Shaft' - a superb combination of street crime/supernatural horror, from the late 80's. Highly recommended.

Currently reading 'Dark Matter', by Michelle Paver - story, told journal style, of a three man expedition to the Arctic, and what they encounter there. Very atmospheric, creepy, and entertaining. About 3/4 of the way through, and it's an excellent read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schow.jpg (7.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Paver.jpg (10.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 3rd March 2015, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict

Though not the most 'bizarre' of the saga, Phantom Blood iphas a huge charm for anyone wanting to read a Castlevania comic with characters that look like they where vomited out by an 80's action movie dressed in Gucci.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.3 KB, 1 views)

DVD and BD collection
Old 5th March 2015, 10:19 AM
Cult Addict

Finished The Shadow Over Innsmouth last night. The best Lovecraft story i have yet read. And one of the first I've found hard to put down. The sequence in the hotel was genuinely creepy. The Shadow Out of Time next.
Old 5th March 2015, 04:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Finished The Shadow Over Innsmouth last night. The best Lovecraft story i have yet read. And one of the first I've found hard to put down. The sequence in the hotel was genuinely creepy. The Shadow Out of Time next.
Aye. Always love the chap in the convenience store in this one. Most filmed HPL story btw!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!