Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2015, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Wordsworth Library Collection.
Old 19th March 2015, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
All three volumes of Mick Foley's autobiographies - "Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks", "Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling" and "The Hardcore Diaries" - are worth reading
I've read Have A Nice Day. He has a TNA book out called Countdown To Lockdown
troggi likes this.
Old 19th March 2015, 06:34 PM
Cult Master

Yes he does

I forgot about that one

It's also enjoyable, but not in the same league as the other three

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st March 2015, 10:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Reading Mick Middles' book about Factory Records.
An interesting read, if slightly in need of an editor cough.
troggi likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's awesome, isn't it? Have you read John Dies at the End?
Great book and a strange film. In my capacity as "Weirdo of the House" I tend to go for the oddities like "John Dies at the End" or the works of our own author whose name "Wossie" dare not say, Robert Rankin. Here comes the big BUT, at the moment, although my bed has to be accessed by scaffolding due to the abnormally large pile of unread paperbacks underneath it, I can only seem to read books with pictures in or "comics" as my other (supposedly "better") half calls 'em. So Nos I can honestly say that what little I have read upto now is, indeed, "awesome" but my significantly reduced concentration span has consigned it to the "reachable edge of the unread heap" so that I can grab it during those moments of lucidity when I can actually focus on something not written in a speech bubble!
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have a big to read next pile....

I haven't been reading as much as I should as I'm still on Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber and other stories - but will make sure I finish it this week - less film watching, more reading.
Old 25th March 2015, 01:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just finished The Hardcore Diaries.

I'm seriously thinking of starting the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
J Harker likes this.
Old 25th March 2015, 09:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished reading the totally insane bizarro book, Cuddly Holocaust and loved it!

It's a crazy story of a world overrun by 'smart-toys'. They've killed off most of mankind and are harvesting their organs so they can become more 'alive'. A young woman goes under disguise (sewing plushy fluff to her body) and joins a troupe of teddies to venture into the wasteland to get somewhere (I won't spoil it here).

There's giant killer plushy teddies, hoarded flesh-eating carebears, a foul mouthed teddy panda, transformer-like machines, demented dolls and loads more!

Only 150 pages or so, it's a great novella and Cult Labbers will love it! You can imagine this being released on some obscure VHS in the 80s if it was made into a film.

Highly recommended! I think I'll start reading more bizarro fiction now.
Old 25th March 2015, 10:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Just finished The Hardcore Diaries.

I'm seriously thinking of starting the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Dragon Tattoo is a brilliant book mate. As is the sequel. I've still not read the third.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just finished 'Primal Screamer' by Nick Blinko. Ex- or current punks will know him as one of the dudes from Rudimentary Peni, who went from being post Crass anarcho-punks to esoteric Lovecraftian experimentalists. 'Primal Screamer' is a semi-fictionalised account of a suicide attempt and mental health crisis written from the perspective of the psychologist who gets involved, and pretty much spans Rudimentary Peni's early years. It's carried by the interplay between the teenage Blinko and the psy-worker, a 'therapeutic alliance' which progressively turns towards the uncanny. The narrator is a classic Lovecraftian protagonist, a middle class rationalist who essentially ends up losing it, or rather is overwhelmed by the eldritch forces he seeks to contain with his own system of thought. It's good and rather interesting - I thought the more low key stuff detailing the therapy sessions (which tends to predominate) worked better than the climactic and slightly abrupt eruption of weird horror. One of the more intriguing approaches to autobiography you're likely to encounter. Well worth checking out, as is the visionary artwork of Blinko (not the mention the music of the band itself). Blinko has written another book I think, one which is out and out fiction... will be tracking it down for sure on the basis of 'Primal Screamer'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!