Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Collecting Shameless
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2008, 10:39 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Sarah and ANGEL mate......my goons are harmless loons mate,but obedient goons and loons.....
I never get why there aren't more female exploitation fans. I'm sure it's something to do with feminism... Damn feminists ruining it for everyone!

I was thinking about promoting Shameless the other day, Almar, and I was thinking about advertising in universities. I know University of East Anglia's film course teaches a lot about genre films and Brunel has a Cult Film & TV Masters degree. One of Brunel's modules is even Shocking Cinema of the Seventies:
Offers an historical and socio-cultural analysis of cult film patterns and trends produced during the 1970s. Particular emphasis will be given to the themes of sex, death and excess that emerged as a dominant trait within European and American cult films produced during this era, while consideration will also be given to issues of genre and narrative form and their impact on the seventies cult text.
Maybe have a few Shameless titles put in their libraries? Or get in touch with lecturers and see if they can promote the titles to students or, indeed see if any of them are being taught on the module. I'm not sure how it'd work but putting in one or two might whet people's appetites. And just think of all those disposable student loans...
Old 26th April 2008, 10:48 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

hi,

i'm mildly ashamed to admit that i work for Zavvi (), so i guess i can shed some light on this subject. i can happily tell you that if any of you pop into the zavvi in piccadilly circus you'll find a rather nice shameless display at the front end of the horror section which i put up the other day. sadly we didnt get any copies of night train murders or the frightened woman, but got all the other titles (7 copies of each one). how long it stays there i cant say, though the store manager there seemed pretty pleased with the display. so far sales havent been great (but its only been up for 2 days), but i've noticed quite a lot of customers having a good look. it has caused much talk between the staff there, especially ratman which has triggered many "what the ...." reactions!
Old 26th April 2008, 12:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hi Spooks, just wondered, do horror films sell well.
I ask as the Zavvi in Belfast have cut down big time in horror films compared to when Virgin owned the store.
Old 26th April 2008, 04:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good stuff spooks...what i like to hear......
Old 26th April 2008, 06:22 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

mainstream horror titles obviously can still sell pretty well, especially titles by the larger companies as they can afford to push big quantity of product into the stores and subsequently their titles will be put into large promotions and usually at very low prices. As theres so many company fueled promotions people have got used to being able to pick up a title on dvd for around ?5, which obviously means the average customer is less likely gonna fork out over ?10 to risk a more alternative horror title released by a small company. If the stock ain't gonna sell shops are less likely gonna be interested in stocking it. The dvd retail world seems to be depending more and more on promotions from companies especially in order to compete with internet sales. I assume thats why its taken some sort of promotion to get the shameless titles in zavvi stores.
Old 26th April 2008, 06:30 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

As for the horror section in belfast being downsized, i wouldnt be surprised if another dept has been expanded, maybe for blu-ray or even computer games (games seems to be where retail entertainment is focusing, i read somewhere that even marks & sparks are gonna start stocking games!)
Old 26th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nice to see a fair bit of interest in the display spooks,hopefully this bodes well for may 5th.

I'll probably be in Zavvi in Argyll St. in Glasgow, so hopefully I'll be greated by a big(ish) stonking yellow display when I walk in
Old 26th April 2008, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooks View Post
As for the horror section in belfast being downsized, i wouldnt be surprised if another dept has been expanded, maybe for blu-ray or even computer games (games seems to be where retail entertainment is focusing, i read somewhere that even marks & sparks are gonna start stocking games!)
Your right, more floor has been given to games and the BluRay section is expanding.
Speaking of BluRay, as a PS3 owner with a few BluRay titles , are BluRay titles selling as well as expected Spooks.?
If a company release a title simultaneously on BR and DVD are people starting to see BluRay as an alternative to DVD. ?
Sorry for so many questions but I find it interesting how the shops who sell the product see things.
Thanks for the info so far mate, very interesting.
Old 26th April 2008, 09:09 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Your right, more floor has been given to games and the BluRay section is expanding.
Speaking of BluRay, as a PS3 owner with a few BluRay titles , are BluRay titles selling as well as expected Spooks.?
If a company release a title simultaneously on BR and DVD are people starting to see BluRay as an alternative to DVD. ?
Sorry for so many questions but I find it interesting how the shops who sell the product see things.
Thanks for the info so far mate, very interesting.
i wouldnt say BluRay is seen as an alternative to dvd yet, mainly cause they're still expensive and the ps3 is still too pricey for many people especially compared to the low cost of the Xbox 360. but in the near future expect to see a big push of that format. I know that sony are going to be putting a lot more effort into promoting BluRay due to the PS3, so I'd expect more promotions like a recent buy 2 get 3rd free offer. I'd also predict the average price of a BluRay disc to go down in the near future (I've already noticed some very reasonable prices for BluRay discs on some US sites). Sony are obviously thinking about their next competition in the format wars. For Sony and retailers its obviously a race against the growth of faster internet connections. BluRay may of won the battle against HiDef, but its next gonna have to compete against internet downloading and streaming.
Old 26th April 2008, 11:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Thanks Spooks, the game shop were I shop are pushing BluRay at the moment, I got Hostel 1 & 2 from a large range of 2 for ?19.99 last month.
Northing much great on the format yet though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!