Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2020, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Category III: The Untold Story Of HK Exploitation (2018, Calum Waddell)

Fun enough ride through the rise and fall of the grottier end of HK cinema. Godfrey Ho's in it!
Ahem.
Whether twill just make you dig them all out again, or have you running to your particular method of watching films to investigate but any doc that has Bunman as it's centrepiece is ok with this demon.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th November 2020, 03:00 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Fun enough ride through the rise and fall of the grottier end of HK cinema. Godfrey Ho's in it!
Ahem.
Whether twill just make you dig them all out again, or have you running to your particular method of watching films to investigate but any doc that has Bunman as it's centrepiece is ok with this demon.

Did you watch it on The Untold Story blu ray? The trailer for House of Flesh Mannequins on it f's up a lot of players. On my 12 year old Sony it starts playing it from about 50 odd seconds in and the bottom 2 trailers don't appear on the menu at all and on my region free LG it completely freezes up the player and I have to unplug it. I thought I may have a faulty disc but people on Blu-rage have the same problem. Great doc though.
MacBlayne and Demoncrat like this.
Old 14th November 2020, 04:09 AM
Active Cultist

Never Surrender : A Galaxy Quest Documentary is a great, very affectionate look back at the film. And you get to hear Sigourney Weaver's infamously dubbed line uncut. And it sounds so much better. Sky Docs.

You Don't Nomi. Not a doc about the making of Showgirls but the cult surrounding it.

Frightfest- Beneath The Dark Heart of Cinema. A doc about Frightfest through the years and how it's changed.

Lost Soul. Fantastic look at the (un)making of The Island of Dr Moreau by Richard Stanley.

White Riot. All about the founding of Rock Against Racism. Sky Arts.

Going Clear : Scientology and the Prison of Belief. Features many interviews with famous ex members of the cult and how it operates.

My Scientology Movie. Louis Theroux's film on the cult.

Console Wars. The battle between Nintendo and Sega in the 80's and 90's. Sky Docs.

The Iceman Tapes, The Iceman Confessions and Iceman and the Psychiatrist. Richard Kuklinski talks about his life and the murders he (may) have committed. Sky Crime.

Trixie Mattel - Moving Parts. Following Trixie From Drag Race to her own tour and her relationship with Katya. Netflix.

In Search of Darkness. 4 and a half hours about 80's horror. Shudder.

Hail Satan? The church of Satan. Netflix.

A load of good ones by Kirby Dick- Sick - The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist. Some pretty graphic scenes in the uncut DVD. Flanagan was a performance artist with cystic fibrosis and used BDSM both for sexual gratification and as a way of saying F you to his condition.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated. Explores the MPAA and their very secretive raters and how indie films are treated compared to studio films. Interesting how films with gay themes seem to be treated much more harshly.

Twist of Faith. Tony Comes was a victim of childhood sexual abuse by his priest. How this has affected and continues to affect his life is explored. Pretty tough watch, especially the scenes with his mother. Sky Docs.

On The Record. An exploration of the sexual abuse allegations against Russell Simmons, founder of Def Jam records. Sky Docs.

HyperNormalisation by Adam Curtis. It's basically pretty much the last four years. iPlayer.

Slice and Dice - The Slasher Film Forever. Interesting doc about slashers.
Old 14th November 2020, 01:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Ahem.

I saw that as a pre-release 'work in progress' which Calum sent me to look at. I thought it was really well edited, the contributions were interesting and informative, and it left me wanting to watch loads of films which I previously hadn't heard of, let alone seen!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th November 2020, 03:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw that as a pre-release 'work in progress' which Calum sent me to look at. I thought it was really well edited, the contributions were interesting and informative, and it left me wanting to watch loads of films which I previously hadn't heard of, let alone seen!
It's just not long enough
Having seen most of the ones featured, I can only highly recommend them ALL

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st January 2021, 11:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My Octopus Teacher

Where to start with this one? As a Lovecraft fan, you sort of have to put up with people recommending anything it seems with tentacles. Ahem. Not Costeau-ic (cough) by any shape, yet rather revealing all the same.

It's not a zoophile thing!!!!! HONEST.

I sort of freaked out a mate once, with that horse lover doc ahem.
There's no hanky panky, but it will make me rethink when I watch Aquanoids again tbh

[B]
Old 1st January 2021, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Ahem.

Is a dvd or a documentary somewhere ? Where can I watch it or get hold of it ?
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Is a dvd or a documentary somewhere ? Where can I watch it or get hold of it ?
Yes, it's on that Unearthed BD release you posted about a while back about cough?? ENJOY!!!

[B]
Old 11th January 2021, 12:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching a doc on the infamous Judas Priest trial.
Suicide tends to leave the survivors with a feeling of powerlessness I've found. The eternal "what if?" always at the back of your mind. I can sort of see why people look for answers where they can. I certainly have. But scapegoating art just so lawyers can make that all important money isn't on. It just confirms my prejudices about muricans tbh.

[B]
Old 11th January 2021, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Watching a doc on the infamous Judas Priest trial.
Suicide tends to leave the survivors with a feeling of powerlessness I've found. The eternal "what if?" always at the back of your mind. I can sort of see why people look for answers where they can. I certainly have. But scapegoating art just so lawyers can make that all important money isn't on. It just confirms my prejudices about muricans tbh.
After reading Halford's book recently I too went looking for more info on this incedent, I could only find something brief on YouTube.

There is a lot of this kind of culture in America, like trying to benefit your wallet or career off someone's tragedy, as if it makes it all better in you win the case.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!