Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2015, 10:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Any recommendations for some creepy docs not just horror related but documentaries that really stick with you.
Capturing the Friedmans is an HBO documentary film directed by Andrew Jarecki. It focuses on the 1980s investigation of Arnold and Jesse Friedman for child molestation. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Documentary Feature in 2003. (Thanks Wiki!)

This is one documentary that has stuck with me since I first saw it. I have never changed my mind so often during a documentary as this one. Was Mr Friedman guilty... Hell yeah....ten minutes later... No way! ....Ten more minutes....Burn him in hell.... and so on it went. A film to make you angry, sad and confused and in my eyes expertly portrayed and executed.

Although the subject matter is disturbing and unpalatable, it's one I would recommend but prepare to not have a convincing conclusion.
Old 8th April 2015, 10:55 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

That's is a great Doc Boo at times very disturbing and like you the range of emotions watching it was forever changing throughout.
Old 8th April 2015, 01:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Is it a hard watch?
Aye. But rewarding....enjoy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th April 2015, 09:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Sounds good, has this had a release yet??
For anyone who's interested, the Broomfield 'Grim Sleeper' documentary is available on Sky Atlantic on demand
demonknight likes this.
Old 25th April 2015, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Capturing The Friedmans and the only person I found credible was the mother. Very interesting, disturbing, sickening and harrowing. Recommended.
Old 26th April 2015, 05:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I really like Errol Morris as he makes some extremely thought-provoking films, mostly political, but particularly:

The Thin Blue Line (1988)

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003)

Standard Operating Procedure (2008)

Old 26th April 2015, 05:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A similar filmmaker is Alex Gibney, with films like Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room (2005), Taxi to the Dark Side (2007), Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (2008) and Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God (2012) all receiving top marks from me.

Recently, the Oscar-winning Citizenfour, about Edward Snowden made me reconsider my use of the Internet and mobile phone!
keirarts, Nordicdusk and Vipp like this.
Old 16th May 2015, 11:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I usually watch at least one new documentary a week if not more – this is the highlights of the last few days, skip this post if you don’t have an interest in financial corruption/Bio Fuels/assisted suicide or killer whales that eat people…

ALL of these films are currently on UK Netflix.

Black fish
This facinating and highly polished documentary get’s under the skin of the large American company SeaWorld and it’s negligent approach to keeping intelligent animals in captivity. Soon a famous killer whale starts to kill his trainers and the company falls over it self to cover up the mess to keep the milti million dollor franchise open. The documentary does a great job of telling the stories of each and everyone of the trainers who lost their lives but also educating the viewer on the history and behavioural needs of the killer whale. I can’t recommend this documentary enough, it’s very well made and well worth your time.

Citizen Koch
The Koch brothers are billionaries in America and this documentary does a great job of explaining very clearly and in simple terms what lobbying is all about and how corporate greed and interest can get governors elected into power. If you enjoy a good financial scandal this is worth your time. It may also interest anyone that wants to know more about the importance of workers unions and why we need protecting from big corporations.

Chasing Madoff -
This documentary is a MUST SEE! I can’t recommend it enough! It has a fantastic production value and has reconstructions that feature the original men concerned with this investigation. Bernie Madoff at one stage had the biggest stock value on wallstreet – he had it all – until someone looked into his projections and realised it was fraud, Bernie Madoff had pulled off the biggest Ponzi Schemes in American financial history. If you enjoy a good documentary you really must give this a go, it took one man and his four friends over TEN years to get the FFC to bring down this milti billion pound fraud and the payoff is great.

Enron: The smartest guys in the room
-
I have seen this film three times now, I do enjoy a good financial documentary and corruption doesn’t come much grander than this. The smartest guys in the room got out early and watched the rest sink into financial ruin. If you haven’t seen this film I recommend it. If I had to write 101 documentaries to see before you die, this would make the list.

Pump -
Ethanol is a clean fuel, Brazil is now the first and currently only country to be free from the dependence on fossil fuels – Petroleum has a shelf life and worth China now buying over 20 million cars a year it looks like petrol will very soon be a thing of the past, so why don’t we use Ethanol? A clean fuel that can be made out of corn? Well because the oil tycoons can’t monopolise it that’s why. This feel good documentary will explain what Bio Fuels are and what you can do to save a bunch of cash by using alternative fuels for your car. I’d recommend this film.

How to Die in Oregon -
In this film we learn about the state of Oregon and it’s new laws that enable people that wish to end their lives the power to do so. A compelling argument for assisted suicide and very well made. This film speaks volumes for someone like myself who believes you should have the freedom to choose when you die IF you are in constant pain or have a terminal diagnosis. A very sad film and hard to watch at times but well worth a watch if you’re not sure about assisted suicide.
Old 17th May 2015, 08:23 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The only two of those I've seen are Blackfish, which is compulsory viewing for anyone who has been to SeaWorld, is thinking of going to SeaWorld or has any interest in animal welfare, and Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room which, even though I followed the court case quite closely at the time, found to be illuminating and interesting.

I don't think it's been mentioned here, at least the search showed no results, but Anvil: The Story of Anvil, is one of the most human and touching documentaries about a heavy metal band you will ever see. On the flipside, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster probably works if you have no idea who Metallica are, but is more likely to resonate if you are familiar with the band and was surprised when St Anger was, a couple of songs aside, a complete mess and the result of an utterly dysfunctional band at war with itself.
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 17th May 2015, 08:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think it's been mentioned here, at least the search showed no results, but Anvil: The Story of Anvil, is one of the most human and touching documentaries about a heavy metal band you will ever see.
Nos i couldn't agree more with you on that, Anvil really is a truly heartbreaking/warming film. Even if you're not into Metal the film is still a must see.

Like this? Share it using the links below!