Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2013 03:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This weeks arrivals.

Won Amsterdamned on here last year.

PaulD 26th January 2013 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spied this in CEX. Should have probably picked it up for £2 just for the spare case

Attachment 98113

Hawkmonger 26th January 2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 316536)
Spied this in CEX. Should have probably picked it up for £2 just for the spare case

Attachment 98113

That would have been a snap.:pound:

SShaw 26th January 2013 03:51 PM

This afternoon I bought the German blu-ray of Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and Nick Love's The Business (just €5) and found that the postman had delivered American Mary and Django.

Rik 26th January 2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 316536)

Attachment 98113

I wonder if that's a teaser from Shameless saying this will be one of their releases this year ;)

bdc 26th January 2013 04:34 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Just bought these new at my local shop,I haven't seen any of these (except Saw VII) but from time to time I like to get a few newer films to watch so...I hope they're at least half decent... ;)

I paid 22,47 Euro for everything,all Dutch dvd's.

Saw 3D (VII)
Hobo with a Shotgun
Little Big Soldier
The Collector (2009)
Repo Men
The Ghost Writer aka The Ghost

tele1962 26th January 2013 04:52 PM

Just a recommendation for you people, if you want to see HD at it's very best see if you can get the Blu Ray of this one. I often use it to demo:

The Art of FLIGHT - snowboarding film trailer w/Travis Rice - YouTube

A combination of the very best Film Photography, Helicopter Stunt Pilots & Snowboarders i have seen.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th January 2013 05:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Latest....

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 316556)
Just bought these new at my local shop,I haven't seen any of these (except Saw VII) but from time to time I like to get a few newer films to watch so...I hope they're at least half decent... ;)

Saw 3D (VII)
Hobo with a Shotgun
Little Big Soldier
The Collector (2009)
Repo Men

All good films in my opinion Bdc. :thumb:

Loved Little Big Soldier, Jackie in acting mode.

trebor8273 26th January 2013 05:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
another Saturday and more stuff from that's entertainment and cex, first photo that's entertainment, the rest cex.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2013 05:45 PM

A fantastic haul Trebor. :woot:

trebor8273 26th January 2013 05:56 PM

Theses ones where blind buys, any help on how good or bad there are would be most appreciated

Kitaro
Spontaneous combustion
Embodiment of evil- got to see if I like joe coffin if I to will get box set
Mother's Day
Leather face
Lizard woman
Not of this earth
Eden of the east
Staunton hill didn't even know Romero had a son!
Bogeyman
Umbrage the first vampire
Vampires daughters of Dracula - not sure about this from the back of box it seem to be erotica
Suspiria- never seen it and happy to get a copy, know I will enjoy

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 316584)
Theses ones where blind buys, any help on how good or bad there are would be most appreciated

Kitaro
Spontaneous combustion
Embodiment of evil- got to see if I like joe coffin if I to will get box set Very good, its the only Coffin Joe film i've seen, nasty and rather surreal in places.
Mother's Day A decent thriller.
Leather face Others like it, i don't.
Lizard woman
Not of this earth Enjoyable trash with Traci Lords.
Eden of the east
Staunton hill didn't even know Romero had a son! Derivative horror, ok but been done before, and done better.
Bogeyman Shockingly bad. Sorry.
Umbrage the first vampire
Vampires daughters of Dracula - not sure about this from the back of box it seem to be erotica A brilliant slice of Gothic erotica, between this and Suspiria for your best purchase.
Suspiria- never seen it and happy to get a copy, know I will enjoy Excellent film. Dario at his best.

:)

Justin101 26th January 2013 06:30 PM

Eden of the East is a good anime series, kinda like a spy thriller.
I saw spontaneous combustion years ago from 'the video shop' if it's the same film, typical late 80's early 90's horror film.

trebor8273 26th January 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316599)
I saw spontaneous combustion years ago from 'the video shop' if it's the same film, typical late 80's early 90's horror film.

It's tobe hooper if that helps.

Justin101 26th January 2013 06:41 PM

Yeah I imdb it and it's the same film, but bearing in mind I would have been 13 or 14 when it came out on VHS, I can't remember anything about it apart from the fact I've seen it :lol:

trebor8273 26th January 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316607)
Yeah I imdb it and it's the same film, but bearing in mind I would have been 13 or 14 when it came out on VHS, I can't remember anything about it apart from the fact I've seen it :lol:

From amazon reviews it seems very poor but will give it a chance always thought brad dourif was a good actor

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th January 2013 07:30 PM

I received Braveheart (BD) today and Around The World in 80 Days and The Thick of It: Series 4 have been shipped by Amazon.

antmumford 26th January 2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 316556)

Saw 3D (VII)
Hobo with a Shotgun
Little Big Soldier
The Collector (2009)
Repo Men

Little Big Soldiers great, the best Jackie Chan film of his most recent outputs.

pedromonkey 26th January 2013 08:21 PM

did a bit of amazon shopping late last night and ordered these...

BILLY BATHGATE
15 MINUTES
OUTLAW JOSEY WALES
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA
FIREFOX

Came to just under £9.00 with P+P.

keirarts 26th January 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316599)

spontaneous combustion is dull as dishwter and tobe hoopers worst film, even though it has brad dourif in it.

Eden of the east is phenomenal though!

trebor8273 26th January 2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 316667)
spontaneous combustion is dull as dishwter and tobe hoopers worst film, even though it has brad dourif in it.

Eden of the east is phenomenal though!

Was going for Henry portrait of a serial killer but someone picked up before me so just picked up because I thought it might be ok with dourif and hooper as director

I do think I might of picked up few turkeys today.

keirarts 26th January 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 316673)
Was going for Henry portrait of a serial killer but someone picked up before me so just picked up because I thought it might be ok with dourif and hooper as director

I do think I might of picked up few turkeys today.

I actually think you've done mostly ok. If its the 13 episode eden of the east, I personally think its a classic. Everything else aside from SC is entertaining as well.

oaxaca 27th January 2013 11:42 AM

Todays orders (scraping the birthday money barrel now!)...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
Just watched the 80s Cannon/Golum Globus thriller THE NAKED FACE on German blu by HanseSound. The film itself was fantastic and had plenty of seedy New York location shooting and was surprisingly light on the cheese :p Roger Moore was great as always. The blu ray PQ was also exceptional. Recommended to all Roger Moore/Cannon fans.

BAKA 27th January 2013 03:14 PM

I hate when Amazon send my orders with a courier. Royal Mail are much faster and more efficient than any courier Amazon has ever used for me :(. So many Steelbooks this week though :D Can't wait for them all to arrive. V/H/S and Piranha too, as I've had my MoC releases due this week already. Perhaps it's a good thing Arrow delayed their two releases for a week. There are still a few things I want out this week (The Woodsman And The Rain, Holy Motors and Paris, Texas) that I daren't order until a new month starts on the old credit card :fear:.

platostotal 27th January 2013 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up Leon 'directors cut' dvd off the shelf in Sainsbury for £3, that's cheaper than CEX pre owned.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 316829)
Picked up Leon 'directors cut' dvd off the shelf in Sainsbury for £3, that's cheaper than CEX pre owned.

Leon is a great film – I much prefer the theatrical cut to the extended/director's cut.

platostotal 27th January 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 316851)
Leon is a great film – I much prefer the theatrical cut to the extended/director's cut.

I've got the older version on vhs, so I'll have a shot at the 2 versions.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 316879)
I've got the older version on vhs, so I'll have a shot at the 2 versions.

I watched the VHS so many times it broke in the VCR so I had to replace it! I've since bought it on DVD and BD and never tire of watching such a great film.

trebor8273 27th January 2013 06:17 PM

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone had zavvi take money for items which they probably didn't have in stock?

Placed a order for 3 movies , videodrome, house by the cemetery and city of the living dead. City turned up quite promptly for zavvi about a week, emailed them about other two and they sent out a replacement for videodrome which came this week, nothing about house by the cemetery until a email today saying if I could tell which item it is even though it states it on the top of the email!!!!

Just ended up checking and the collectors edition is no longer even listed. Just makes me think it was never in stock.

Edit

This was the beginning of the month, the third when I first placed order

Refused 27th January 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 316883)
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone had zavvi take money for items which they probably didn't have in stock?

Placed a order for 3 movies , videodrome, house by the cemetery and city of the living dead. City turned up quite promptly for zavvi about a week, emailed them about other two and they sent out a replacement for videodrome which came this week, nothing about house by the cemetery until a email today saying if I could tell which item it is even though it states it on the top of the email!!!!

Just ended up checking and the collectors edition is no longer even listed. Just makes me think it was never in stock.

Edit

They say they charge cards upon dispatch, but I can confirm this is an unequivocal lie. They charged me for my last order days before it shipped.

keirarts 27th January 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 316883)

Edit

I'm still waiting on DJANGO on blu-ray, this was a pre-order I might add, I suspect a lot of what they advertise they dont even have. I find the apologetic e-mails they send frankly embarrasing.

BAKA 28th January 2013 10:53 AM

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psf19856ba.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps31f99509.jpg

Mostly a mix of stuff from the Play.com Clearance sale, and the bewildering effort by distributors to bankrupt me on January 28th by releasing so many bloody movies! Seriously, 10 of those, all due for release today. There's several out today I wanted but am holding off until next month too (The Woodsman And The Rain, Holy Motors and Paris, Texas). I'm very tempted to buy the rest of the Warner Steelbooks next month too :doh:.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 11:03 AM

Those Steelbooks look really good – I'll see which ones take my fancy and look around for the best prices. Dammit, this place continues to cost money!

BAKA 28th January 2013 11:09 AM

I take back everything I said above! Hermes > Royal Mail. Everything shipped on Sunday, arrived today (Monday morning!). All packaged amazingly from Amazon. Absolute monster of a box housing their individual Steelbook packages. Although two of the six steelbook boxes weren't done right, I'm guessing whoever packed them got confused. :lol:

Susan Foreman 28th January 2013 11:09 AM

Charity shop

Piranha DD - £1:00

Yes, I know it's supposed to be awful, but face it - violence, tits and The Hoff for £1:00!

Can't go wrong, can you!!!

fuzzymctiger 28th January 2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 316989)
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...psf19856ba.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps31f99509.jpg

Mostly a mix of stuff from the Play.com Clearance sale, and the bewildering effort by distributors to bankrupt me on January 28th by releasing so many bloody movies! Seriously, 10 of those, all due for release today. There's several out today I wanted but am holding off until next month too (The Woodsman And The Rain, Holy Motors and Paris, Texas). I'm very tempted to buy the rest of the Warner Steelbooks next month too :doh:.

Those are very nice looking steelbooks. Im very tempted to get a few, but like you, then I'd want them all.

Are the ratings removable?

fuzzymctiger 28th January 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 316994)
I take back everything I said above! Hermes > Royal Mail. Everything shipped on Sunday, arrived today (Monday morning!). All packaged amazingly from Amazon. Absolute monster of a box housing their individual Steelbook packages. Although two of the six steelbook boxes weren't done right, I'm guessing whoever packed them got confused. :lol:

I've had odd experience with Amazon and steelbooks.

I've had an order in one box, but the steelbook in a bubble envelope, but the 2 tapes together, I've had them come all in one packages, and weirdest of all, for Christmas I had 2 in an order, and one was with the rest normally, and the other was in their steelbook boxes, but in the same box with the rest of the order!!

BAKA 28th January 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 316992)
Those Steelbooks look really good – I'll see which ones take my fancy and look around for the best prices. Dammit, this place continues to cost money!

You've probably got them pre-ordered already but forgot :tongue1:!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 317000)
Those are very nice looking steelbooks. Im very tempted to get a few, but like you, then I'd want them all.

Are the ratings removable?

The ratings are stickers, but they're on the Steelbooks themselves, rather than the wrapping. I daren't try to remove them until I hear someone else mention they're easy peel :loco:.

SharonLynette 28th January 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 316989)

If I get paid I think I'll pick up Shadows and Faces myself. Have also ordered just two of those steelbooks The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca in a way I'd like them all but I think I'm just lusting after the boxes more for the others, we'll see. Stupidly I've ordered from where I could get them cheapest £10.62 each, of course they haven't been dispatched so who knows when I'll get them!