All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2017, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
For Indiana Jones?

I'm probably in the minority, but The Last Crusade is my favourite because it's a lot of fun and because I saw it at the cinema when I was young and loved it – I still do.
Nope i agree Nos. But i like all four. I think Crystal Skull is better than Temple.
Old 17th August 2017, 08:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Yes, a cherished memory will always override any criticism.

Connery ruinsh it for me personally
I know that objectively speaking, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best of the series because of the quality of the acting, screenwriting, direction etc., but it's really hard to look past nostalgia and great childhood memories. I watched them recently and found the weakest to be Temple of Doom, a film I found borderline racist and tiresome, with never-ending action sequences compensating for plot. Also, Willie Scott is never fully developed beyond 'shrill female in distress' character trope and Short Round is annoying.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th August 2017, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I know.
Tbh I never really cared for sequels of any sort until about 10 years ago. Aliens being the exception

The bit in the raft in Temple always made me laugh.
If I had known what was to come though ....
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th August 2017, 12:06 AM
Cult Addict

Sorry but Temple of Doom is without doubt the second best Indiana jones film, sure the female lead is a bit hollow, but it encapsulates the cliffhanger type films it tries to emulate perfectly.
Raiders is surely the best film but Temple sums up all those dodgy Tarzan type old films in that it's slightly racist but has all those old adventure style stuff incorporated, a unknown landscape, tribal style old gods and mystical idols.

To me it's a lot more boundary pushing than the later films with the sacrifice scenes reminiscent of the Hammer style and 30's voodoo horror with Indy becoming possessed, also love the pure spectacle of the rope bridge scene and the crazy musical number that starts the whole film off.

Also the early bad guys remind me of all that charlie chan type shit.
So yer it may be slightly racist but that is how the old serials were.
If that is what influenced the creators then surely Temple is the most pure distillation of that era.

Last Crusade while good is just a re-run of the first film in my opinion with the Connery added and while the german bird is pretty sexy the end scene with the holy grail is a bit of a let down and the booby trap scenes are underwhelming.
I didn't mind Crystal skull at the time but the more i see it it is just excruciatingly painful.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:06 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Why is everything that features non-white people classed as slightly racist?

Please say why Temple of Doom is slightly racist?
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Why is everything that features non-white people classed as slightly racist?

Please say why Temple of Doom is slightly racist?
I ain't touching that with a pitchfork

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 18th August 2017, 11:11 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
I ain't touching that with a pitchfork
Why? It's discussing a film. Completely on-topic. Birth of a Nation has been talked about frequently on here.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Why? It's discussing a film. Completely on-topic. Birth of a Nation has been talked about frequently on here.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/indi...temple-of-doom
"even back in 1984 when the film was first released though, it was stung by accusations of racism in its portrayal of a deprived village in North India. Indeed, the Indian government refused permission to film in the country, partly on racism grounds. Rewatching the film now, it's hard to feel comfortable with some of the scenes, and you can see the reasons for the accusations."

keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Revisiting Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom | Den of Geek
"even back in 1984 when the film was first released though, it was stung by accusations of racism in its portrayal of a deprived village in North India. Indeed, the Indian government refused permission to film in the country, partly on racism grounds. Rewatching the film now, it's hard to feel comfortable with some of the scenes, and you can see the reasons for the accusations."
I just don't see that at all. It's a fact that India is one of the worlds poorest countries and half the population live in slums. Surely denial is a far more racist scenario. I mean can you imagine if the Indian villagers had been portrayed as not being poor.

Plus of course it's the evil Thuggee cult who made the village poor so there was a reason for it in the film anyway. A racist film that a young Asian boy played a hugely pivotal part in.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I just don't see that at all. It's a fact that India is one of the worlds poorest countries and half the population live in slums. Surely denial is a far more racist scenario. I mean can you imagine if the Indian villagers had been portrayed as not being poor.

Plus of course it's the evil Thuggee cult who made the village poor so there was a reason for it in the film anyway. A racist film that a young Asian boy played a hugely pivotal part in.
there are worse examples in film to be fair, truthfully it doesn't really bother me

Like this? Share it using the links below!