LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2023, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ghosties D
Okay, right. It's a film i'm interested in but know nothing about other than it might have folk horror elements and the BFI are sticking it out on Blu.

Even the trailer gave zero away as to what it was about.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th April 2023, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Okay, right. It's a film i'm interested in but know nothing about other than it might have folk horror elements and the BFI are sticking it out on Blu.

Even the trailer gave zero away as to what it was about.
I'll be checking that out then. Like yourself, it intrigued and it came my way. What I really want to compare it too is Skinamarink, but don't rush off, as that's more about the use of sound and image, not tone or content ahem. The first thing I did after was to check whether twas based on a Cornish legend ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th April 2023, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'll be checking that out then. Like yourself, it intrigued and it came my way. What I really want to compare it too is Skinamarink, but don't rush off, as that's more about the use of sound and image, not tone or content ahem. The first thing I did after was to check whether twas based on a Cornish legend ....
Now this part really intrigues.

In my head i have Neither the Sea Nor the Sand without a zombie but with added folklore supernatural elements.

Close???
Old 25th April 2023, 08:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Carry on Camping (1969)

Wanting a change i decided on a film from a series i don't watch that often - a Carry On film, and what better than Carry on Camping?

Sid Boggle and best mate Bernie Lugg (Sid James and Bernard Breslaw) take their long suffering prudish girlfriends to what they think is a nudist camp but unfortunately for Sid and Bernie it's not it's a standard camp site. Not only that but farmer Peter Butterworth is out for every pound he can grab as he fleeces the campers for everything. Son Sid and Bernie set their sights on the girls from a finishing school who also turn up along with headmaster Prof Soaper (Kenneth Williams) and matron Hattie Jacques.

From then on it's all frollicks and fun until we reach a rather bizarre finale when a group of hippies arrive at the next field and have a concert. It's as if they really couldn't come up with a decent way to end the film.

Despite Barbara Windsor's top flying off during an aerobics session - probably this films most infamous scene - Carry on Camping was for me more successful in it's scripted dialogue than it's set pieces. The double entendres are immense with lines like "She was showing me how to get my pole up" constantly getting laughs from me.

How much did i enjoy Carry On Camping? Well, i think i'll watch another one tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carry_on_camping_320x240.jpg (28.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 25th April 2023, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Carry on Camping (1969)

Wanting a change i decided on a film from a series i don't watch that often - a Carry On film, and what better than Carry on Camping?

Sid Boggle and best mate Bernie Lugg (Sid James and Bernard Breslaw) take their long suffering prudish girlfriends to what they think is a nudist camp but unfortunately for Sid and Bernie it's not it's a standard camp site. Not only that but farmer Peter Butterworth is out for every pound he can grab as he fleeces the campers for everything. Son Sid and Bernie set their sights on the girls from a finishing school who also turn up along with headmaster Prof Soaper (Kenneth Williams) and matron Hattie Jacques.

From then on it's all frollicks and fun until we reach a rather bizarre finale when a group of hippies arrive at the next field and have a concert. It's as if they really couldn't come up with a decent way to end the film.

Despite Barbara Windsor's top flying off during an aerobics session - probably this films most infamous scene - Carry on Camping was for me more successful in it's scripted dialogue than it's set pieces. The double entendres are immense with lines like "She was showing me how to get my pole up" constantly getting laughs from me.

How much did i enjoy Carry On Camping? Well, i think i'll watch another one tonight.
This always make me laugh in Carry On Camping

Charlie Muggins : Hello. What's a nice girl like you doing with an old cow?

Girl with cow : I'm taking her to the bull.

Charlie Muggins : Well, couldn't your father do that?

Girl with cow : No, it must be the bull.
Old 27th April 2023, 06:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Carry On Follow that Camel (1967)

Utter tripe. We lose Sid James and get Phil Silvers thrust on us. He's crap and unbalances everything as he's the sole focus of the film with the 'regulars' sadly secondary to Silvers unfunny antics.

You can tell due to this it wasn't an official Carry On film to begin with and was the producers way of attempting to crack the American market.

I became bored quite quickly and frankly Scarlett i didn't give a shit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Follow_That_Camel_FilmPoster.jpeg (25.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th April 2023, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Carry On Follow that Camel (1967)

Utter tripe. We lose Sid James and get Phil Silvers thrust on us. He's crap and unbalances everything as he's the sole focus of the film with the 'regulars' sadly secondary to Silvers unfunny antics.

You can tell due to this it wasn't an official Carry On film to begin with and was the producers way of attempting to crack the American market.

I became bored quite quickly and frankly Scarlett i didn't give a shit!
He was a neurotic mess behind the scenes according to KW. Why didn't you pick Screaming instead ahem???

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th April 2023, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
He was a neurotic mess behind the scenes according to KW. Why didn't you pick Screaming instead ahem???
Didn't Kenneth Williams have a problem with one Or two people behind the scenes in the carry on films? In Carry On abroad he didn't get on well with David Kernan.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th April 2023, 08:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't actually like Screaming much. It's not in the least funny. Plus i don't have it anymore. I got rid of it.

I have a box set of 18 films divided into three named sets. This was the Holiday collection.

I'd already seen Camping and the unreviewed but decent Abroad and Camel was the next one.

It's so long since i've seen them that they are like watching new (sort of) although i did recall the hotel collapsing during Abroad.
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 29th May 2023, 04:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Glitterball (1977, Harley Cokeliss)

The Children's Film Foundation thingy.
A hoot somewhat, as an intergalatic ball bearing lands in merrie England, wreaking havoc to food supplies and the like. Several familiar faces pop up. It was everything that I hoped. Happy Demon.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!