Oh I know I am!
Old 31st May 2013, 01:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
Maybe I am lol, but these are films that I hold a lot of affection for and the fact that they are on steelies which is another passion of mine, means that I was hit with both interests when making a decision to purchase.

That being said they cost me £43 each which when you consider not too many years ago I was paying twice that for these type of films on lazer disc. Hell, back in the day I once paid £20 for a pirate copy of Dawn of the Dead so I can kind of justify the expense here.

I'm just wondering what might be next if this goes well for the distributor, a nice steelbook of the extended cut of Dawn of the Dead is something I would be willing to throw a fair bit of cash at.
That's exactly the way I look at it with the laserdiscs i used to collect. I think people nowadays are spoiled with the availability of cheap discs. As I said elsewhere, I saw someone complain about the price of Scream Factory discs, and said they should sell them for $5-10. That statement is just as crazy as the price I'll be paying for the Demons steelbooks.
Old 31st May 2013, 01:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post

That being said they cost me £43 each which when you consider not too many years ago I was paying twice that for these type of films on lazer disc. Hell, back in the day I once paid £20 for a pirate copy of Dawn of the Dead so I can kind of justify the expense here.
That's a fair point... I guess most/all of us baulk or certainly think twice at spending £43 a pop for a single movie now but back when laser discs were the in thing among collectors, cult or in-demand films regularly went for those sorts of prices from what I've read and heard. And money was worth more back then too! Gladly/sadly (I'm not sure which!?) I was a bit young for the laserdisc phenomenon but thankfully I caught the tail-end of the VHS rental era so have happy memories of that. I'm sure laserdisc hunting/collecting was a great pastime back in the day though and I'm sure crazy money (to today's eyes) exchanged hands for single films.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 31st May 2013, 02:13 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
That's a fair point... I guess most/all of us baulk or certainly think twice at spending £43 a pop for a single movie now but back when laser discs were the in thing among collectors, cult or in-demand films regularly went for those sorts of prices from what I've read and heard. And money was worth more back then too! Gladly/sadly (I'm not sure which!?) I was a bit young for the laserdisc phenomenon but thankfully I caught the tail-end of the VHS rental era so have happy memories of that. I'm sure laserdisc hunting/collecting was a great pastime back in the day though and I'm sure crazy money (to today's eyes) exchanged hands for single films.
I miss the laserdisc era. The artwork on nice big gatefold sleeves was a joy to behold. The EC releases of the Fulci movies were glorious, City was especially nice with a gatefold big picture of Giovanni with a drill in the side of his head. Cannibal Ferox with a 7" Single and a vomit bag

As for prices, I regularly paid over £100 per film...
£125 The Killer - 3 disc Criterion CAV
£100 A Chinese Ghost Story
£100 Fong Sai Yuk - 2 Disc CAV
£125 Dawn of the Dead - Elite 3 disc CAV.
£75 Hellbound - Chinese disc with a scene not in the usual prints.
£100 The Evil Dead - Japanese uncut.

Not to mention my £150 for Let Sleeping Corpses Lie which never arrived from a fella in Germany. Pre paypal days, so no way to recover.

Them was the days.
Old 31st May 2013, 02:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
I know exactly what you mean. When I first started buying DVDs, I didn't think twice about paying £19.99 for one I really wanted and thought a 'buy one, get one half price' deal was brilliant value.
Old 31st May 2013, 07:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

France is releasing Hard Target and Sudden Death on BD along with a few other countries (including the UK), but unlike everywhere else, they're using the original artwork (I knew I liked the French!). So, even though the titles on the covers are in French, these are the ones I'll be going for.

Metallicbomb and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 31st May 2013, 07:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'll be getting both of the new Van Damme releases, just need AWOL then to finish the collection.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I miss the laserdisc era. The artwork on nice big gatefold sleeves was a joy to behold. The EC releases of the Fulci movies were glorious, City was especially nice with a gatefold big picture of Giovanni with a drill in the side of his head. Cannibal Ferox with a 7" Single and a vomit bag

As for prices, I regularly paid over £100 per film...
£125 The Killer - 3 disc Criterion CAV
£100 A Chinese Ghost Story
£100 Fong Sai Yuk - 2 Disc CAV
£125 Dawn of the Dead - Elite 3 disc CAV.
£75 Hellbound - Chinese disc with a scene not in the usual prints.
£100 The Evil Dead - Japanese uncut.

Not to mention my £150 for Let Sleeping Corpses Lie which never arrived from a fella in Germany. Pre paypal days, so no way to recover.

Them was the days.
Cheers for the perspective...now where's my wallet!
Old 31st May 2013, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No reason to be sad, you can still get it at amazon.de

Invasion - Limitiert auf 500 Stk. [CAV] [Laserdisc]: Amazon.de: Cristina Galbó, Jorge Grau: Filme & TV
Old 31st May 2013, 11:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
France is releasing Hard Target and Sudden Death on BD along with a few other countries (including the UK), but unlike everywhere else, they're using the original artwork (I knew I liked the French!). So, even though the titles on the covers are in French, these are the ones I'll be going for.

Forced subs or not forced subs? These are two of my favourite films but given the choice of forced subs and a nice cover, or no subs and a shitty cover I take the shitty cover any day. I've always been cautious with french discs as I've heard quite a few force their subs.

Like this? Share it using the links below!