Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179790Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2012, 08:18 PM
Active Cultist

I'm a Cyborg - I'd never seen this till now - when it came out the reviews made it sound like a mere trifle compared to Oldboy, some kind of step back, almost an apology of a film. Bullshit. There's no extreme violence here but to say its lightweight is totally wrong, in its own way its just as confrontational. Consider the brilliant opening scene, a production line worker so deadened by routine she begins to modify her own body rather than the radio she's supposed to be assembling, inserting wires into her flesh, conducting electricity into her bloodstream. Not exactly a feelgood movie. Early fears that mental illness is being used as a quirky plot adornment prove unfounded as you begin to genuinely care about these lost souls. I hope I'm not making this sound boring, there's flights of fancy and invention to burn in a succession of dream/fantasy scenes. The ending at first glance seems abrupt but it's the best kind, one that resonates and sinks in long after the film is over. Blu ray transfer is impeccable and for the current low price this is a must buy.
Baseball Fury and Demoncrat like this.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I'm a Cyborg - I'd never seen this till now - when it came out the reviews made it sound like a mere trifle compared to Oldboy, some kind of step back, almost an apology of a film. Bullshit. There's no extreme violence here but to say its lightweight is totally wrong, in its own way its just as confrontational. Consider the brilliant opening scene, a production line worker so deadened by routine she begins to modify her own body rather than the radio she's supposed to be assembling, inserting wires into her flesh, conducting electricity into her bloodstream. Not exactly a feelgood movie. Early fears that mental illness is being used as a quirky plot adornment prove unfounded as you begin to genuinely care about these lost souls. I hope I'm not making this sound boring, there's flights of fancy and invention to burn in a succession of dream/fantasy scenes. The ending at first glance seems abrupt but it's the best kind, one that resonates and sinks in long after the film is over. Blu ray transfer is impeccable and for the current low price this is a must buy.

Boring this film ISNT. in fact its my favourite rom com and should be more apprieciated, with this and that "border dispute" film of his, i knew i was looking at a new master at the pantheon etc.

AAnyway...watched Monster/Humanoids from the Deep (Barbara Peeters, natch) as mate hadnt seen it, and balked at last minute about POAK (who can blame him? not me) thoroughly enjoyed this, but then i always did, Morrow's wig(?) a definite highlight, but the violence more violent than i remember, i presume the warner VHS i saw was cut, yes? as i say, twas an enjoyable romp from start to finish.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th February 2012, 12:29 PM
Cultist

Salvador (1986)

**** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 10th February 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched The Libertine , an interesting movie about the life of John Wilmot, a 17th century poet starring Johnny Depp in one of his greatest roles
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th February 2012, 03:47 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

saw PREDATOR 2 last night
a good sequel but no way as good as the original
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 10th February 2012, 03:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Boring this film ISNT. in fact its my favourite rom com and should be more apprieciated, with this and that "border dispute" film of his, i knew i was looking at a new master at the pantheon etc.
That would be JSA: Joint Security Area, and it's a masterpiece. He can't put a foot wrong for me, JSA, Cyborg, Vengeance trilogy, Thirst, they've all been excellent.
pedromonkey likes this.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Two bad films today - one bad but fun, one bad but well shot.

Megalodon - CGI/green screen heavy made for video/TV prehistoric giant shark attacks oil rig flick. Pretty much does its job and passes the time nicely. CGI is dated looking (if that bothers you, I am not put off by poor effects really), but then the film is 10 years old and low budget. Has a kind of "filmed play" feeling to it, which the green screen CGI backgrounds accentuate. Likeable, if not great.

Spiderhole - bloody hell what a mess! All the nice cinematography in the world (and this film is well shot and cleverly lit) cannot make up for clumsy plotting, editing and diabolical pacing. The acting is horrible to behold too. Worst though, it that the protagonists are the most annoying, awful bunch of characters that you cannot possibly care when they start getting killed off. The ending is something I expected all the way through, but judging from how it was dressed up, I think the film-makers intended it as a "Wow!" moment or some kind of twist. Utter fail.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

As you have gathered, I love lowbrow, made for TV horror flicks, and if it's a creature feature, even better! And this brings me to another SyFy channel "classic": Monsterwolf!

I bought this on Blu-ray as it was ridiculously cheap and was called Monsterwolf, for cripes sake! One of the first things I noticed is that it has the credits for Swamp Shark printed on the sleeve by mistake! My heart immediately warmed to this production.

Well, I think it's one of the best SyFy jobs I have seen. In fact, I am almost worried that they are getting too good at film-making!

A Native American spirit comes back to fight a nasty, evil oil company in the form a massive and rather peeved wolf. Shenanigans ensue.

Tremendous fun, with much tongue in cheek humour and decent performances and a stunning lead actress.

Yay!
Old 11th February 2012, 05:52 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I went to see The Woman In Black last night.
Now this WAS a true Hammer film!
Radcliffe was superb!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th February 2012, 07:50 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
As you have gathered, I love lowbrow, made for TV horror flicks, and if it's a creature feature, even better! And this brings me to another SyFy channel "classic": Monsterwolf!

I bought this on Blu-ray as it was ridiculously cheap and was called Monsterwolf, for cripes sake! One of the first things I noticed is that it has the credits for Swamp Shark printed on the sleeve by mistake! My heart immediately warmed to this production.

Well, I think it's one of the best SyFy jobs I have seen. In fact, I am almost worried that they are getting too good at film-making!

A Native American spirit comes back to fight a nasty, evil oil company in the form a massive and rather peeved wolf. Shenanigans ensue.

Tremendous fun, with much tongue in cheek humour and decent performances and a stunning lead actress.

Yay!
monsterwolf is definately a fun little flick for sure!

Like this? Share it using the links below!