Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2012, 02:51 PM
Active Cultist

Man with the iron fists-lone wolf and cub style blood and gore,with practical effects it would have been ok but with crappy CGI blood/guts it was just awful
Old 16th December 2012, 03:16 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I really liked the remake of When a Stranger Calls as well. No idea why, but stupidly i got rid of it and i've never replaced it.
I saw it as a review disc which the company demanded be returned. I'm not sure why, but I wrote the review and sent the disc back. I think I'll rent it and, if it's as good as I remember, may buy a copy.
Old 16th December 2012, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hellnight with Linda Blair, been a few years since I had seen it. Now I know why the devil possessed her!!

also....

great film with original plot (excuse the pun!)

and....

also known as the Hounds of Zaroff, one of the most over the top villains ever,Leslie Banks, classic!
Old 16th December 2012, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Raven(2012)-Being a fan of Edgar Allan Poe for many years and a fan of most of John Cusack's films, I was excited to hear about this fictional account of Poe's final days in 1849. Then the reviews came in and basically wrote the film off as crap and my hopes were crushed. Anyway, as usually happens I decided to check it out for myself last night on BD, rented from Lovefilm and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and will most probably buy it soon enough.
The plot is basically about a serial killer that commits his murders taking inspiration from the works of the inventor of the detective story, meaning Poe has to work with the Baltimore police to catch the killer.

Deck The Halls- Xmas film starring Danny DeVito and an actor I can't usually tolerate, Matthew Broderick as a pair of neighbours competing over who can do Xmas the best. It's never going to win any awards, but I always enjoy watching this at Xmas, same goes for Jingle All The Way, the awful film starring Arnie, something about these films always puts me in the Xmas spirit
SharonLynette likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th December 2012, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Deck The Halls- Xmas film starring Danny DeVito and an actor I can't usually tolerate, Matthew Broderick as a pair of neighbours competing over who can do Xmas the best. It's never going to win any awards, but I always enjoy watching this at Xmas, same goes for Jingle All The Way, the awful film starring Arnie, something about these films always puts me in the Xmas spirit
Bought this a couple of years ago and its now become a "must watch". Noticed it was on Channel 4 earlier which brought it to the front of the queue. I'm going to watch this in a couple of hours time. A fun ninety minutes, plus you get Kristin Chenoweth.
Rik likes this.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Bought this a couple of years ago and its now become a "must watch". Noticed it was on Channel 4 earlier which brought it to the front of the queue. I'm going to watch this in a couple of hours time. A fun ninety minutes, plus you get Kristin Chenoweth.
I was expecting a barrage of abuse for liking this film
I've never bought it because I know it'll be on every year, not really a film I would watch say in July
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th December 2012, 05:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched Hocus Pocus on telly this afternoon. Sadly slightly cut, but less so than it has been in other broadcasts. Great flick though, a superior kids' film.
Rik and SharonLynette like this.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I also love Edgar Allan poe, I was gutted when I read the reviews but was pleasantly suprised that I found it a very good film, well acted, good gore moments and serial killer plot that also has scenes of his actual life story weaved within the plot. Recommended.
Rik likes this.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
I also love Edgar Allan poe, I was gutted when I read the reviews but was pleasantly suprised that I found it a very good film, well acted, good gore moments and serial killer plot that also has scenes of his actual life story weaved within the plot. Recommended.
It's time I ignored the majority of reviews because 9 times out of 10, when a film has crappy reviews, I tend to like it
Old 16th December 2012, 07:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tried to catch up with the too watch pile as this is my last weekend at home for a while.

Collateral Superior thriller from Michael Mann , recommended.
Barbarella Fabulously silly comic book adaptation, recommended.
Yellow Brick Road I still don't understand this film. But it is a brave, if flawed attempt to try to do something different, at least technically. No subtitles, but for a film that relies on the sound design to such an extent that is not surprising. Choice of English or German audio on the German Bluray.
The Day another post-apocalyptic survival horror. I like it.

I head back to the U.K. for Christmas and New year on Friday and I am really looking forward to the opportunity to sit in the cinema - the Cameo and Film House have an excellent Christmas programme (Die Hard, Gremlins, Elf and a host of Ealing comedies).

Like this? Share it using the links below!