Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
The Mummy's Curse (1944)

The Mummy's Curse has one of my all time fright scenes.
Princess Ananka rising from the swamp. Fantastic !
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
The Mummy's Curse (1944)

You've reminded me that I really need to check out some of these 'monster' sequels at some point.
JoshuaKaitlyn and Dave Boy like this.
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
The Mummy's Curse (1944)

The Kharis movies! Great fun. One of the reason why I bought the region 1 (Legacy) Mummy boxset.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SINNER'S BLOOD - A strange film, quite badly made but punctuated by moments of eerie power. It plays half in Southern Gothic mode, with two orphaned sisters landing in a household of pervs, half in ineffectual biker movie mode, with a gang of cyclists who don't wreak all that much havoc beyond whacking a preacher with a chain and getting down to some orgiastic histrionics. Characters are introduced, look pivotal for a few minutes, then promptly disappear. The framing and the filming seem disjointed and bizarre. But then there are genuinely strong, disturbing sequences and images - like the scene where one of the sisters recalls her dead mother whilst a woman seduces her, only for said woman's infantilised brother to barge in and attempt to rape her. Or the climactic, post 'Easy Rider' acid trip. Quite a heady concoction, maybe not as far-out or as exploitative as I would've hoped, but definitely worth some attention and interest.

THE BOYS NEXT DOOR - Essential eighties treatise on latter day violence from the director of 'Suburbia'. Two young hicks take leave from their nowhere trajectory and head for LA. Their alienation from their pre-scripted lives passes from bafflement to violence as their festering rage breaks out and rampages through the neon wilderness of the big city at night. 'The Boys Next Door' is quite interesting, because it presents the two boys' anger as being class-based and real, but the violence they indulge in is more or less an extension of the commodity system, an entertainment born out of the suffering of those they consider 'other' to themselves, present on every TV screen and around every street corner. In their own way, they're living the American Dream. Intense, oh-so-eighties and not entirely straightforward but highly recommended.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran

Clerks 2

Kevin Smith Project session 7

Elias: Since God created man, and man created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God, Randal!

I remember hating this when I first saw it and haven't watched it since, but coming to it now and seeing the progression of Kevin Smith's direction skill it all of a sudden makes sense. The crazy quotable dialogue is there, the past cast member cameos are there, the soundtrack is great (the nods to The Shining and Silence of the Lambs are two soundtrack highlights) and most of all Dante and Randal are back.

Interesting though, the dynamic has changed and Randal has become the annoying one, age has made him pretty unbearable and it's sad to see that 10 years have passed and he hasn't grown up at all. Elias is a good new character and he has some great lines and without him we wouldn't have Pillow Pants!

In conclusion, yeah good film but not actually as 'hilarious' as I remember it being, and some bits are actually not as funny as they think (donkey).

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 24th February 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just been to see 'Mama', it's a 4/10.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Clerks 2

Kevin Smith Project session 7

<i><b>Elias:</b> Since God created man, and man created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God, Randal! </i>

I remember hating this when I first saw it and haven't watched it since, but coming to it now and seeing the progression of Kevin Smith's direction skill it all of a sudden makes sense. The crazy quotable dialogue is there, the past cast member cameos are there, the soundtrack is great (the nods to The Shining and Silence of the Lambs are two soundtrack highlights) and most of all Dante and Randal are back.

Interesting though, the dynamic has changed and Randal has become the annoying one, age has made him pretty unbearable and it's sad to see that 10 years have passed and he hasn't grown up at all. Elias is a good new character and he has some great lines and without him we wouldn't have Pillow Pants!

In conclusion, yeah good film but not actually as 'hilarious' as I remember it being, and some bits are actually not as funny as they think (donkey).
Make your mind up.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Make your mind up.
Imagine I said hilarious with a sarcastic tone, hence the quotes lol.

Old 23rd February 2013, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Imagine I said hilarious with a sarcastic tone, hence the quotes lol.
The Lord of The Rings discussion makes me laugh.

Simple things!
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Yeah, the guy puking on the counter was funny!
3 more Kevin Smith movies to go now, and apart from Red State which I liked, I've not seen the other two so I don't know what to expect, they don't have a good rep anyway, going to watch Zack and Miri tomorrow.

Like this? Share it using the links below!