Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2013, 11:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched From Beyond on Bluray last night.Wow what can I say,except well done to Second Sight. An amazing transfer of a great movie. Detail,definition and colour looked outstanding in my eyes. Hard to believe the movie came out in 1986,ah yes the wonders of Bluray.Good performances too from Barbra Crampton,Jeffrey Combs and Ken Foree and lets not forget Ted Sorel. Didn't get an opportunity to soak up all of the extras yet,but that's next on my agenda. Now all I want from Second Sight is Bride Of Re-Animator,Society and Re-Animator all with great transfers(which SS will provide) and loaded with special features. As of now From Beyond from Second Sight is my number 1 region B release SO FAR
sawyer6, artisturn and troggi like this.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Not a film but an hr long episode

I watched Cigarette Burns last night
My favourite episode in the Masters of Horror series. Well, that and Takashi Miike's Imprint.

Many of the others I found lackuster, although I have only seen about a third of the last series, selling the DVDs when I noticed Netflix had them - only for them to expire and be taken off before I had a chance to watch them.
troggi likes this.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I wasn't that impressed with the MOH episodes I saw, but along with Imprint , I enjoyed Larry Cohen's Pick Me Up, Michael Moriarty was perfect.

artisturn and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 7th May 2013, 02:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So last night I finally watched Dead of Night (aka Deathdream) for the first time. I've had the DVD since it was released, and being a huge fan of Bob Clark's Black Christmas, as well as knowing the film's glowing rep, I was very much looking forward to it. But I was disappointed.

I'll admit off the bat I don't like Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things very much, although certain things I admire about it: the impressive makeup and the use of locale. Where Alan Ormsby is probably an acquired taste, he grated on me, and I thought the whole thing had a puerile sensibility.

Deathdream, while a smarter film, worked neither as a polemic on the horrors of war (like Combat Shock) or a melancholic zombie flick (like I Zombie), instead it just meanders. While seeing Ormsby pop up in just a cameo is a relief, his missus, the incredible dull Anya Ormsby, crops up in a major role as his sister. She employs the same method of acting that she does in CSPWDT - namely that she can't act and does this ridiculous wide-eyed thing throughout that is neither endearing or cute.

I didn't hate the film. It's suburban malaise made me wonder if the director had been inspired by The Graduate as Richard Backus reclines in his lawn chair, vacantly staring ahead while the neighborhood postman lectures at him. And there was some nifty acting from John Marley as his old man. But I think in this case the film's reputation preceded it.

A decent effort, but I'm glad Clark started fresh with Black Christmas, as that's a film that really showcased what he was capable of - especially with fresh talent. I must watch Deranged again, see if I can gain some respect back for Ormsby. Maybe I'll give Deathdream another shot later on down the line, now my expectations have been put back in check.

Note: My BU DVD is faulty, but it's too late to return it now. It skips three minutes during the killing of a certain character midway through. Must be a manufacturing issue as the disc is clean.
Old 7th May 2013, 03:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
might give this a go then if its getting some recommendations here.

I watched Drive last night and really enjoyed it, although the soundtrack may have helped seeing it was like something straight out of the 1980's. Just got to hunt down the elusive steelbook now which wont be cheap.
Funny you should say that Sam because Maniac could be a great companion piece to Drive. They're very similar in style and design

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 7th May 2013, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
So last night I finally watched Dead of Night (aka Deathdream) for the first time. I've had the DVD since it was released, and being a huge fan of Bob Clark's Black Christmas, as well as knowing the film's glowing rep, I was very much looking forward to it. But I was disappointed.

I'll admit off the bat I don't like Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things very much, although certain things I admire about it: the impressive makeup and the use of locale. Where Alan Ormsby is probably an acquired taste, he grated on me, and I thought the whole thing had a puerile sensibility.

Deathdream, while a smarter film, worked neither as a polemic on the horrors of war (like Combat Shock) or a melancholic zombie flick (like I Zombie), instead it just meanders. While seeing Ormsby pop up in just a cameo is a relief, his missus, the incredible dull Anya Ormsby, crops up in a major role as his sister. She employs the same method of acting that she does in CSPWDT - namely that she can't act and does this ridiculous wide-eyed thing throughout that is neither endearing or cute.

I didn't hate the film. It's suburban malaise made me wonder if the director had been inspired by The Graduate as Richard Backus reclines in his lawn chair, vacantly staring ahead while the neighborhood postman lectures at him. And there was some nifty acting from John Marley as his old man. But I think in this case the film's reputation preceded it.

A decent effort, but I'm glad Clark started fresh with Black Christmas, as that's a film that really showcased what he was capable of - especially with fresh talent. I must watch Deranged again, see if I can gain some respect back for Ormsby. Maybe I'll give Deathdream another shot later on down the line, now my expectations have been put back in check.

Note: My BU DVD is faulty, but it's too late to return it now. It skips three minutes during the killing of a certain character midway through. Must be a manufacturing issue as the disc is clean.

Shame, as it that very "suburban malaise" vibe that makes it such a vital film for me, each to their own and all that, but the drabness of cookie cutter housing, Backus' sonambulistic performance all make it for me. Hey ho....please give it another try at some point......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th May 2013, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
My favourite episode in the Masters of Horror series. Well, that and Takashi Miike's Imprint.

Many of the others I found lackuster, although I have only seen about a third of the last series, selling the DVDs when I noticed Netflix had them - only for them to expire and be taken off before I had a chance to watch them.
I completely agree. The "Masters of Horror" series had all the makings of a great series and fell far short except for the two already mentioned and both of those could have been extended and made into features.

Monster Magnet
Old 7th May 2013, 04:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

ive only seen upto the Chocolate episode on MOH
Old 7th May 2013, 04:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Shame, as it that very "suburban malaise" vibe that makes it such a vital film for me, each to their own and all that, but the drabness of cookie cutter housing, Backus' sonambulistic performance all make it for me. Hey ho....please give it another try at some point......
I will. I expected my thoughts not to be popular as I know it's highly regarded indeed, but it just didn't do it for me - at least, this time. It may get another shot down the line, especially now I know I can't sell off the DVD. And as I said, I didn't hate it, I was just unimpressed. Probably a combination of over anticipation and annoyance at actors I didn't much like in CSPWDT making a return.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I thought that I might enjoy this as E.A. Poe is one of my top 10 writers. This isn't the Poe I've come to know and love so much. Poe was a flawed character, yes, but this travesty of a characterisation is positively ridiculous. A good story ruined by an implausible lead.

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!