Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2013, 06:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
V/H/S 2 - I think I preferred the grimier original, I can't quite remember, but this is still pretty good. I just like the aesthetic of mangled, dirtied up analogue technology - but for a more convincing take on the whole "seventh generation tape unmarked left on the back seat of a bus" thing, see something like 'Trash Humpers'. As with many anthologies, there's an element of hit and miss, but the latter two segments of 'V/H/S 2' are well worth checking out, particularly the Baphomet -birthing religious cult one which quickly turns into an insane fever dream.

DRAINIAC - One of those poundland impulse buys I've left hanging around for too long, this is a cheap, cheap American indie from the end of last century. I quite enjoyed it actually, I mean it's pretty dire, but at least it was shot on 16mm and features bits of claymation monsterdom, the ultimate mark of fannish enthusiasm. The obvious ur-text is 'The Evil Dead' and there is slime, cheap laughs at bad lines, some attempted actual humour, a psychedelic-ish end bit which throws most of the fx budget at the screen, and a slightly charming afterglow.

THE DEVIL'S ROCK - More from the recently rehabilitated Nazi-horror genre, this time with an occult leaning. Allied troops end up in an enemy facility (somewhere near Guernsey?) which turns out to house a shape changing demon. There were some aspects I really had to get past - a certain clunk factor which blighted some of the lines, the moves, the performances and the direction - but despite this, a real atmosphere came through. Maybe it was the bleak environs, maybe the reliance for the most part on there being only two real characters, but something gave it a strange claustrophobic feel. Think NEL book cover goes Beckett - actually no, don't, I'm talking complete bollocks, but I say, watch it and give it a chance.

HERE COMES THE DEVIL - Excellent and really quite disturbing. A not particularly likeable couple find that their kids have changed in some strange way after they go missing in some caves with a supernatural past. Paranoia and much worse soon follows. I'm not familiar with the young director at all, but he seems to have been very prolific already, and on the evidence of this I'm definitely up for checking out his other stuff. As for HCTD, there are some inconsistencies and tonal slips, but it really hits home and has the feel of 'real' Euro-horror (maybe it's all those semi-zooms) mixed with a vaguely abstract art-house air. Definite recommendation.

THE FIRM - The Alan Clarke - helmed late eighties football hooligan expose with G Oldman. Like so many of the director's other works this is brilliant, so pessimistic and cynical but still defiant. It easily surpasses any number of anaemic so-called horror entries with its icy detachment and brute realism, not that I'd watch this on the same level as some of the movies I see, it's certainly not something that accommodates a 'switch off and enjoy' attitude. I'm not particularly well informed when it comes to the nuances of the organised football hooligan underground of the period, but this film is as much a great portrait of suburban alienation as anything else.
I wish I could write reviews like you!
Old 19th October 2013, 08:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Seen this a couple of times now. It gets better each viewing. I knew nothing about it on first viewing and found it unpredictable. From the first scenes of the two commando's coming ashore to the finale involving black magic and a she demon it just seemed like something new. I suppose the nearest thing to it is Outpost, but this seemed far nastier and less polished. The low budget shows in places - basically only having a cast of four - but on the whole it was a good effort.
Yeah, I might give it another go, in fact I definitely will. I might even buy it - saw it on Lovefilm. You're right, it does feel like it does something different - I'm not sure what though. It reminds me of horror book covers from the seventies, but I don't know why. I think it was a brave move having as minimal a cast as it does - it doesn't feel all that talky. I came away thinking "that could've been seriously good, but there were just too many clichéd bits and obvious moves in with all the good stuff".
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 19th October 2013, 09:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
V/H/S 2 - I think I preferred the grimier original, I can't quite remember, but this is still pretty good. I just like the aesthetic of mangled, dirtied up analogue technology - but for a more convincing take on the whole "seventh generation tape unmarked left on the back seat of a bus" thing, see something like 'Trash Humpers'. As with many anthologies, there's an element of hit and miss, but the latter two segments of 'V/H/S 2' are well worth checking out, particularly the Baphomet -birthing religious cult one which quickly turns into an insane fever dream.

DRAINIAC - One of those poundland impulse buys I've left hanging around for too long, this is a cheap, cheap American indie from the end of last century. I quite enjoyed it actually, I mean it's pretty dire, but at least it was shot on 16mm and features bits of claymation monsterdom, the ultimate mark of fannish enthusiasm. The obvious ur-text is 'The Evil Dead' and there is slime, cheap laughs at bad lines, some attempted actual humour, a psychedelic-ish end bit which throws most of the fx budget at the screen, and a slightly charming afterglow.

THE DEVIL'S ROCK - More from the recently rehabilitated Nazi-horror genre, this time with an occult leaning. Allied troops end up in an enemy facility (somewhere near Guernsey?) which turns out to house a shape changing demon. There were some aspects I really had to get past - a certain clunk factor which blighted some of the lines, the moves, the performances and the direction - but despite this, a real atmosphere came through. Maybe it was the bleak environs, maybe the reliance for the most part on there being only two real characters, but something gave it a strange claustrophobic feel. Think NEL book cover goes Beckett - actually no, don't, I'm talking complete bollocks, but I say, watch it and give it a chance.

HERE COMES THE DEVIL - Excellent and really quite disturbing. A not particularly likeable couple find that their kids have changed in some strange way after they go missing in some caves with a supernatural past. Paranoia and much worse soon follows. I'm not familiar with the young director at all, but he seems to have been very prolific already, and on the evidence of this I'm definitely up for checking out his other stuff. As for HCTD, there are some inconsistencies and tonal slips, but it really hits home and has the feel of 'real' Euro-horror (maybe it's all those semi-zooms) mixed with a vaguely abstract art-house air. Definite recommendation.

THE FIRM - The Alan Clarke - helmed late eighties football hooligan expose with G Oldman. Like so many of the director's other works this is brilliant, so pessimistic and cynical but still defiant. It easily surpasses any number of anaemic so-called horror entries with its icy detachment and brute realism, not that I'd watch this on the same level as some of the movies I see, it's certainly not something that accommodates a 'switch off and enjoy' attitude. I'm not particularly well informed when it comes to the nuances of the organised football hooligan underground of the period, but this film is as much a great portrait of suburban alienation as anything else.
I've been "humming an ha-ing" about "Devil's Rock" and "HERE COMES THE DEVIL" for a few days now, thanks for the help, Frankie, I'll go for them!

As for the dirty little film that is "Drainiac" it's cheap, nasty, badly written, badly acted, badly filmed! I liked it for it's cheap 'n' cheerful cheek but gave it a low score 'cos it really didn't deserve a reasonable score!

Monster Magnet
Old 19th October 2013, 09:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Gravity at the cinema today. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney become stranded in space. Clooney seems to be playing his usual charming self while Bullock provides a quiet but effective performance. I really liked this, but it doesn't surpass Europa Report as my favourite "hard" science fiction film of the year.
troggi likes this.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Beach of the War Gods (1973)

"Japanese pirates are invading Chinese villages in 1565. Fortunately the super patriot Hsiao Feng swaggers into town, not unlike Mifune did in Yojimbo. The Japanese demand an extortionate amount of money from the villagers, and considerately give them ten days to come up with it, or be slaughtered. Hsiao suggests the villagers gather the young men from nearby villagers, while he travels inland to get help. With another nod to Kurosawa, Hsiao Feng gathers a band of skilled fighters. Chao Iron Bull, with his sword of toughened steel and an even sharper tongue. Knife thrower Leng Ping. Shield-weilding Thunder Fist Hung and Spearman Li. And they'll need all these skills and some trickery and lots of luck to boot, against their fearsome opponent, Captain Hashimoto." (HKMDB)

I feel very manly now.

Seriously,it's an enjoyable Golden Harvest production with LOADS of fights and some nice eye candy.

troggi likes this.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

FREAKY FRIDAY. The generation war fought out as a Disney body swap film. Full of weird scenes of sexual longing and lust as the child now mother makes the most of her new body to try and seduce the boy next door. The whole film stinks of a cougar/jail bait funk.
Old 19th October 2013, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Abduction (2011)

Had i known who Taylor Lautner was i wouldn't have bothered with this film, it was only now i learnt he starred in the Twilight films.

I'm pleased i did though as Abduction is a decent, lively, easy to watch action thriller. Lautner unfortunately has the charisma of a tooth pick, his co-star Lily Collins isn't much better either. Luckily the rest of the cast is made up of people you would want to watch - Sigourney Weaver, Alfred Molina, Maria Bello, Jason Isaacs and Dermot Mulroney.

The film has some fun set pieces which added to a reasonable story, admittedly with a couple of plot holes, and a quickfire pace, makes an undemanding couple of hours of entertainment.

Recommended with caution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abduction_Poster.jpg (55.8 KB, 4 views)
troggi and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 19th October 2013, 11:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I've been "humming an ha-ing" about "Devil's Rock" and "HERE COMES THE DEVIL" for a few days now, thanks for the help, Frankie, I'll go for them!

As for the dirty little film that is "Drainiac" it's cheap, nasty, badly written, badly acted, badly filmed! I liked it for it's cheap 'n' cheerful cheek but gave it a low score 'cos it really didn't deserve a reasonable score!
'The Devil's Rock' and 'Here Comes The Devil' are both worth a shot, but particularly the latter. It's a pretty dark film, quite intense in places.
troggi likes this.
Old 20th October 2013, 02:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Is Prisoners the new Hugh Jackman film? Isn't that only a 12A?
I seriously hope it isn't a 12A, it's a brutal disturbing movie.
troggi likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 20th October 2013, 06:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I seriously hope it isn't a 12A, it's a brutal disturbing movie.
Maybe it's a 15. Almost certain it's not an 18.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!