Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

CARRIE (2013). This remake of the adaptation of the classic Cliff Richard song is a hoot from start to finish and has a lot going for it: shit blows up; Julianne Moore has a nice line in religious self harm and comes across like a cross-dressing Brad Douriff from WISEBLOOD; weird rural American folk customs i.e. tampon hoopla with the weird kid; more shit blowing up and the magic flying properties of pigs blood. It's high grade trash for the teen multiplex crowd and does it's job well as such.

Old 2nd April 2014, 09:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Dr William Shatner investigates when a number of animals start dying of spider bites. Huge spider hills appear and soon the Shat is up to his neck in arachnids as they turn to killing the population of the town.
This is great fun and I was actually very impressed by the sheer amount of Tarantula on screen and on the actors. Not a fake spider in sight as the Shat and friends board up a diner and try to fend off the invading army.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Dr William Shatner investigates when a number of animals start dying of spider bites. Huge spider hills appear and soon the Shat is up to his neck in arachnids as they turn to killing the population of the town.
This is great fun and I was actually very impressed by the sheer amount of Tarantula on screen and on the actors. Not a fake spider in sight as the Shat and friends board up a diner and try to fend off the invading army.
My fave Shatner film.

Did you get the US special edition?
It has a featurette with the spider wrangler thats very interesting in a steve irwin nutterish kind of way.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:48 AM
Active Cultist

My two dvd`s from Raro turned up a few days ago so i watched them at the weekend. These were a buy one get one free so thanx to Raro for that.
Murder Obsession was the first one i watched. I found this a little slow going at first but it picked up after half an hour or so and i was really into it by the finish.
This is the sort of title Shameless fans would enjoy, a bloody giallo type.
Body Puzzle was the second. As this was a freebie i shouldnt really complain but unfortunately i found this one to be something like a t.v movie. The plot was also a bit too unbelievable. However it was nice to see legends like Gianni Garko, Erika Blanc and Giovanni Radice turn up in cameos. Radices posh English dubbed accent was also funny.
After that i managed to catch the 1971 horror film The Devils Nightmare.
This is amazing film, im sure lots of members of this site will have already seen it. For those that havent its set in a cursed Mansion where a beautiful succubus ( Erika Blanc ) entices several stranded tourists to their doom in the manner of the seven deadly sins. Recomended
Old 3rd April 2014, 03:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mechanic (2011, Simon West, Momentum UK dvd)

Never thought I'd see someone channelling David Patrick Kelly, but there you go. Not enough fighting harumph!!! Ho hum.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

TERROR TOONS - Another by indie horror doyen Joe Castro. It's really something quite special - few films treading the gonzo route manage to come this close to actual feverishness without copping out into whacky horror-com. Some of the sets pieces are quite mind bending - Castro once said that one of his influences was Rinse Dream's 'Caligari' remake, and, whilst nothing here is really as skewed or as sleazy, I can see it, sort of. The title tells you all you need to know - cartoon entities terrorise us straight 3d normaloids. Looks hopelessly cheap as well, although no doubt that will alienate quite a few - You'll have to get your head around early noughites cheapshit computer generated effects for this one, I'm afraid. Reminds me of dropping acid in a sleazy house in nineties Huddersfield, and looks like it was made by teenage trip heads too.

100 TEARS - The one with the clown who chops loads of people up with a ridiculous meat cleaver. More lo-fi indie gnarl which redeems its occasional plodding bits with bucketfuls of gore. Yeah, I'm trying to lay down the plot in an interesting and informative way but it's basically just about a clown murdering people. Two journalists investigate until they run up against him and his whacky daughter, more blood ensues etc etc. Yep, it's good if you like clowns, like gore, like shit movies - I tick all three, but I'm glad I didn't buy it for the crazy money it goes for these days.

DON'T WAKE THE DEAD - Basically a collision of various stupidities - Blind Deadesque Knights Templer, zombie Nazis, a heavy metal band, blood, gore, sleaze... I had to ask myself at points why I wasn't enjoying it more - then I remembered it was by Andreas Schnaas. Only kidding, it's quite an enjoyable romp really, nowhere near the bottom of the Schnaas barrel, although not as inspiringly bonkers as something like 'Zombie Doom'. You probably already know whether or not you'll dig it, so I'll leave it at that.

WISHMASTER - Thanks to Dem for reviewing this recently, like many others I find that one really useful aspect of Cult Labs and this thread in particular is the chance to find out about stuff I haven't seen. So it is with 'Wishmaster', one film I've completely ignored up to now, partly because I always associated it with lame, post-franchise nineties horror lite. It isn't that at all, despite the presence of a wisecracking monster lead antagonist and genre elements (ie stuff derived from 'Hellraiser' and 'Nightmare on Elm Street') which were clearly felt to 'work' at the time. Despite not being massively original, it isn't afraid to be what it is, either - a tight, well made B-movie which plays out with a definite punchy verve. I found it really to be entertaining, and surprisingly (given its era) splattery. I'm not sure I'll be tracking down the sequels as I haven't heard glowing reports, but I was impressed with and really liked 'Wishmaster'.
Old 3rd April 2014, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
TERROR TOONS

WISHMASTER
Terror Toons is great fun Frankie. I have it on the Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares 50 movie set from Pendulum Pictures. That and Toe Tags are easily the best films in the set by a mile. I'm really not sure what this says about the other forty eight.

Glad you enjoyed Wishmaster. I watched the three sequels last week and keep meaning to do reviews for them.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cellular (2004)

Kim Basinger, Jason Statham, Chris Evans and William H Macy star in this rip roaring thriller. The script from cult screen writer Larry Cohen plays very much on coincidence and good fortune, however it matters not as the movie is such good fun, applying tension and fast paced action during the whole of it's running time.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cellular_poster.JPG (26.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cellular (2004)
I bought the Region 1 DVD years ago and haven't seen it since then – your review has put it to the top of my 'to re-watch' pile.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I bought the Region 1 DVD years ago and haven't seen it since then – your review has put it to the top of my 'to re-watch' pile.
I've seen it a few times now.

It's one of those where you put your brain to one side and just enjoy the ride.

Like this? Share it using the links below!