Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

DaveJ.W 23rd February 2012 12:17 PM

Step Brothers (2008)

*** out of ****

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd February 2012 02:01 PM

I came back from watching The Woman in Black about half an hour ago and, having gone with reasonably high expectations, it met or exceeded every one. I loved the atmosphere: uneasy, claustrophobic and tense, all leading to some well delivered jumps, which in no way ever felt cheap.

I didn't know much, if anything (beyond Daniel Radcliffe) about the cast or crew, so was surprised to see Jane Goldman's name appear (as screenwriter) in the end credits. There is clearly more to her than the likes of Stardust and she can really 'do' horror.

nekromantik 23rd February 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 219215)
I came back from watching The Woman in Black about half an hour ago and, having gone with reasonably high expectations, it met or exceeded every one. I loved the atmosphere: uneasy, claustrophobic and tense, all leading to some well delivered jumps, which in no way ever felt cheap.

I didn't know much, if anything (beyond Daniel Radcliffe) about the cast or crew, so was surprised to see Jane Goldman's name appear (as screenwriter) in the end credits. There is clearly more to her than the likes of Stardust and she can really 'do' horror.

I just hope what happened to Immortals dont happen to WIB.
They cut Immortals for a 15 cert and the DVD release is the same 15 cert cut version. WIB better be released as a 15 uncut.

Baseball Fury 23rd February 2012 02:28 PM

To be honest, I couldn't care less if they did or didn't. Brightening up a couple of shots and a little bit of gore isn't really going to change anything.

And before the censorship/only buy uncut brigade chip in, this wasn't censorship, it was a decision by the makers to get a key demographic in.

The film is cracking in the form it's in, so I'm completely blaise about a resubmission.

nekromantik 23rd February 2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 219220)
To be honest, I couldn't care less if they did or didn't. Brightening up a couple of shots and a little bit of gore isn't really going to change anything.

And before the censorship/only buy uncut brigade chip in, this wasn't censorship, it was a decision by the makers to get a key demographic in.

The film is cracking in the form it's in, so I'm completely blaise about a resubmission.

Each to their own.
I loved it but I like to have the movie the director intended, not edited by either the studio or classification people.

if I have no choice about what version then I would still buy it but if there is a choice I will choose to import it if its cut in the UK too.

I could care less if studio made less money by making it a 15. You should read a article on WIB and 12 rating. Its very true everything they say. Editing a movie just because its main star was in a tween movie is not good AT ALL! It makes me angry. This is a very serious movie and no where in the same tone as Harry Potter. It was not made for the same audience as HP so the studio is just being greedy about making more money. Its as simple as that.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2012 08:08 AM

I've just read about the cuts at the BBFC's website and it does seem as if they were brief, shortening some scenes of physical damage to children and adjustments in the contrast and sound levels, making a couple of scenes darker.

If it's released with the 12 certificate, these cuts will still be in place, so I hope it's released as a 15 in the version James Watkins originally intended.

Baseball Fury 24th February 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 219223)
the studio is just being greedy about making more money. Its as simple as that.

Wait! A major studio made a film to make some money? How long has this been going on? Did anyone tell the papers, it's a scandal! Anyone would think they were some kind of business!

:rolleyes:

Hawkmonger 24th February 2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 219391)
I've just read about the cuts at the BBFC's website and it does seem as if they were brief, shortening some scenes of physical damage to children and adjustments in the contrast and sound levels, making a couple of scenes darker.

If it's released with the 12 certificate, these cuts will still be in place, so I hope it's released as a 15 in the version James Watkins originally intended.

Apparently some of the cut scene where rather grizzly.
Looking forward to seeing how they look on DVD.

Demoncrat 24th February 2012 10:12 AM

Watched The Yes Man (dont ask). ok, book far better and very diferent (Danny Wallace).

Franco frenzy tonight! well if two films can be classed as a "frenzy"...:laugh:
At least you cant say im not trying with JF!

Susan Foreman 24th February 2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 219404)
Watched The Yes Man (dont ask). ok, book far better and very diferent (Danny Wallace).

Jim Carrey?

If it is, it is nothing more than a reversal of the film 'Liar Liar'

Demoncrat 24th February 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 219407)
Jim Carrey?

If it is, it is nothing more than a reversal of the film 'Liar Liar'

as i say the book a far different beast.
i thought it was the doc The Yes MEn, cest la vie.

number 23 put me off JC for lizzle.;)

mercury 24th February 2012 11:08 AM

Faster......Revenge film staring The Rock Dwayne Johnson. This is worth a watch.

Susan Foreman 24th February 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 219422)
Faster......Revenge film staring The Rock Dwayne Johnson. This is worth a watch.

He was a better actor when he was in the WWF/WWE!

sawyer6 24th February 2012 11:00 PM

Rewatched Zodiac.The first time my reaction was mixed but now I think it as a very good movie.I also watched Frankenhooker,it was fun but I expected it to be better and Patty Mullen should have more screen time and Two-lane Blacktop,another cool road movie of the 70's

Gav.76 24th February 2012 11:08 PM

Saw the new version of The Woman In Black last week. Honestly, I wasn't expecting too much, but it was seat-wettingly scary as hell!!! My partner counted the times I jumped out of my skin almost...8 freakin times!!!!

Harry, erm I mean Radcliffe was pretty good in it too (suprisingly)

Deffo one of the best new horrors I've seen for a while :woot:

Scyther 24th February 2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 219422)

Been meaning to watch this for a while now. Heard it's a nice, bloody homage to 80s action...it even features Guido and Maurizio de Angelis in the soundtrack! :)

Demoncrat 25th February 2012 09:22 AM

Enjoyed Franco's Count Dracula. quite faithful really i felt, and the usual sterling cameo from JF, also showed Female Vampire as small tribute to the late Lina Romay. mates were happy with CD, bit nonplussed by FV.....c'est la vie.

rewatched Dagon just to make sure twasnt my kneejerk reaction to, my eyes, an insult.

guess what?

i was right.

the "musical" interlude stood out as the main offender this time.

Not a film il be revisiting.

:mmph::censored:

Gojirosan 25th February 2012 01:09 PM

Mighty impressed by the newer remastered Warners Archive Collection Special Edition DVD-R of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.

Still some flecks on the print but nothing that would bother anyone sane. The colours are so much richer though and the shadows no longer obscure everything else in the dark scenes. It's also pin sharp.

Highly recommended!

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 219223)

I could care less if studio made less money by making it a 15. so the studio is just being greedy about making more money. Its as simple as that.

Hammer need to make money, and i for one are glad they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 219392)
Wait! A major studio made a film to make some money?

:rolleyes:

Gotta agree with you Baseball Fury. However Hammer are not a major studio, they are a small indie film company with a proud history, who are now just back in business trying to get a foothold in the shark infested waters of the film industry.

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 02:20 PM

How do you guys make those thumbnails with the title cards in them?

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 219743)

I don't get what you mean.

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 03:02 PM

Like this post from Nekromantik.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 218926)
My last 20 movies I have seen :)

http://i.imgur.com/OyKQR.jpg

The second one at the top is War Boys, the title was way too small to read on that picture. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 03:04 PM

Ahh, those. I have no idea, sorry, they are good though aren't they.

nekromantik 25th February 2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 219734)
Gotta agree with you Baseball Fury. However Hammer are not a major studio, they are a small indie film company with a proud history, who are now just back in business trying to get a foothold in the shark infested waters of the film industry.

Momentum released the movie over here in the UK and are the ones who asked for a 12 not Hammer.
Hammer produced the movie while Momentum released it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 219752)
Like this post from Nekromantik.

I cant take the credit for the idea as it was all Kyle's idea! :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 219756)
Momentum released the movie over here in the UK and are the ones who asked for a 12 not Hammer.
Hammer produced the movie while Momentum released it.

How does it work out in this situation? Do both Hammer and Momentum earn from ticket sales or have Momentum basically bought the film outright from Hammer, or do Hammer pay Momentum to release it in cinemas?

nekromantik 25th February 2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 219758)
How does it work out in this situation? Do both Hammer and Momentum earn from ticket sales or have Momentum basically bought the film outright from Hammer, or do Hammer pay Momentum to release it in cinemas?

As far as I know, the distributor pays the production studio.
So Momentum pays Hammer and then releases it, both companies get profit but as Momentum paid for it they get to decide the rating for it.

wongfeihung62 25th February 2012 04:11 PM

Creepshow 3. I heard it was bad, but being the glutton for punishment that I am I thought. "How bad can it be?"
Suffice to say, that's a 104 mins of my life I will never get back. :doh:

Handyman Joe 25th February 2012 04:30 PM

Just wanted to chip in to The Woman in Black debate. I went to see it last night at Cineworld, Glasgow and it was a grim experience. From the first whistle it felt like a kindergarten - shrieks, giggles, kids sprinting down the aisle every 5 minutes. I don't need to tell anyone here that a ghost story is dependent on atmosphere and use of silence - this is impossible to achieve when every telegraphed shock (and there were far too many in this film) is accompanied by a barrage of prepubescent caterwauling. IMO it was a big mistake to make this a 12 cert, yes, they may make more money in the short term but at what cost to the studio's credibility? There were more walkouts during this screening than I've ever seen - I doubt many of these folk will be keen to relive the experience by buying this movie on DVD or returing to future Hammer cinema screenings. Eventually (after an hour) security moved in and ejected about 2 dozen little neds/idiots. I don't know if this was an isolated experience but I'm guessing it's going on all over the country. Bottom line - keep horror movies to a 15 cert, it's the maturity of the audience attracted thats the main issue, not profanity/gore etc. Re the film itself - a handsomely mounted succession of boo scares - no classic in my book but not bad.

nekromantik 25th February 2012 04:42 PM

Exactly! Making it a 12 makes sure if you go at busy periods the cinema is filled with kids who talk/laugh etc all through the movie. it ruins the experience for those mature enough for the experience.

I have heard a lot of complaints about this issue and only way to avoid it is if the cinema has a late night over 18 screening or go in the afternoon.

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 05:50 PM

I HATE it when little shitters muck about in a cinema. Oh it's not so bad when it's tiny totters parking about, but tween kids are unbearable.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 219743)

You can do it quite easily with Picasa. Just select the folder containing the images you want and it will create a collage.

gag 25th February 2012 06:20 PM

Some one posted on FB how paranormal activity 3 scared them..
I lol at them and said it was dull and boring and not even remotely scary,
And said watch a real horror...so has anyone got any good suggestion i can put forward to them horror as in scary, jump. creepy etc type of horror not Zombie blood and guts type ...

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 219781)
You can do it quite easily with Picasa. Just select the folder containing the images you want and it will create a collage.

Thank you!

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 06:45 PM

All cinemas should be 18+ only, with electrified seats, and to anyone who speaks above a hushed whisper, well thats where the electricity comes in.

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 219790)
All cinemas should be 18+ only, with electrified seats, and to anyone who speaks above a hushed whisper, well thats where the electricity comes in.

I object to the 18+ law!
Though I agree that electrified chairs are a good idea.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 219799)
I object to the 18+ law!
Though I agree that electrified chairs are a good idea.

Oh, ok 16+ then. ;)

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 07:16 PM

Thats better. :cool:
Oh, I forgot to mention I went to watch Safe House yesterday.
Rather good. Denzel Washington is his usual cool self, Ryan Rynolds plays...............Ryan Rynolds.
Just your typical CIA/ Vigilante type story that turns out some good moments.
Rather happy to see Liam Cunningham appear towards the begining.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 219802)
Rather happy to see Liam Cunningham appear towards the begining.

I saw him in The Escapist the other night, he's always good value for money.

Hawkmonger 25th February 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 219806)
I saw him in The Escapist the other night, he's always good value for money.

The accent alone is worth your money!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 219779)
I HATE it when little shitters muck about in a cinema. Oh it's not so bad when it's tiny totters parking about, but tween kids are unbearable.

When we went to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, there were several babies crying and young children running around. My dad complained to the manager basically saying that if they were teenagers talking, they would have been thrown out. He was given an apology, a voucher for a free screening and was told to report such behaviour again and the parents would be asked to take their children outside.