Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oops.

Scratch that.

I've never seen it.

I think i was thinking of Dead End - a none French film with a slightly similar cover. Well it's red anyway.
I've never seen Dead End and after your glowing appraisal I doubt I'll bother!
Old 16th January 2015, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen Dead End and after your glowing appraisal I doubt I'll bother!
It was full of people bickering loudly in a car.
Old 16th January 2015, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It was full of people bickering loudly in a car.
Sounds a lot like my old family vacations. Something I wouldn't really want to watch a film about... although a true horror story it may be.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th January 2015, 03:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Queen Of Blood (Curtis Harrington, 1970)
Woooh mama, watched this last night. Will be watching it again tonight and aw.....

A proper review will follow then...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th January 2015, 04:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Arrow's Blu-ray edition of Mark of the Devil -- a great restoration of a great film IMO. I really enjoyed the doco on the disc concerning the new wave of British horror films in the 60s and 70s too. While I enjoy Mark of the Devil it still doesn't hold a candle to Witchfinder General, and I'm sure Michael Armstrong would agree with that after all the interference in his film.
Old 16th January 2015, 04:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Arrow's Blu-ray edition of Mark of the Devil -- a great restoration of a great film IMO. I really enjoyed the doco on the disc concerning the new wave of British horror films in the 60s and 70s too. While I enjoy Mark of the Devil it still doesn't hold a candle to Witchfinder General, and I'm sure Michael Armstrong would agree with that after all the interference in his film.
How long exactly, is the doc.
Old 16th January 2015, 05:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

THX 1138 (1971)

Living in a futuristic society where emotions are forbidden and robot police keep the order, THX 1138 attempts to escape the city.......

Feature film debut of George Lucas. Reworking his student film Electronic Labyrinth: THX-1138 4EB, Lucas offers a bleak future society.
Unfortunately, Lucas returned to the film in 2004. Uncle George saw fit to add and alter several scenes in his CGI madness and this so called 'Directors Cut' is now the only available version on dvd and blu ray.
Old 16th January 2015, 05:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
THX 1138 (1971)

Living in a futuristic society where emotions are forbidden and robot police keep the order, THX 1138 attempts to escape the city.......

Feature film debut of George Lucas. Reworking his student film Electronic Labyrinth: THX-1138 4EB, Lucas offers a bleak future society.
Unfortunately, Lucas returned to the film in 2004. Uncle George saw fit to add and alter several scenes in his CGI madness and this so called 'Directors Cut' is now the only available version on dvd and blu ray.
I only saw this for the first time a couple of years back.

I enjoyed it. Possibly because i'd never seen the original cut, Lucas's tinkering wasn't an issue for me.
Old 16th January 2015, 06:05 PM
Cult Addict

Messiah of evil.

Structurally playing like a H.P Lovecraft tale, narrated from an Asylum by someone who may or may not be insane, Messiah tells the tale of a young woman named Arletty who heads to a west coast Californian town named Point Dunne to find her missing father (played by the legend Royal Dano) Something weird is going on in the town, people are turning into something and the place feels eerily deserted.
One of Messiah of evils strengths is it refuses to explain too much of what's going on. The whole atmosphere to the film is strange and oppressive with outlandish set design and a weird suspiria-esque colour pallet to the film. It has several scenes that stand out as genuinely creepy including a night time visit to a supermarket that would make the nutters that wander around my 24 hour tesco seem normal and a cinema scene that is genuinely terrifying.
It's aggravating that the new blu-ray is such good quality, Given Bill Olsens attitude to his customers it would be nice to lay into this release. However its bloody amazing and surpasses the already great DVD. MOE is a one of a kind, a genuinely great little movie that lingers in the memory and feels like a nightmare that's come to life.

Candle for the devil

Judy Geeson plays a young English woman who heads to sunny Spain to spend some time with her sister. Little does she realise that her sisters been done in by the pair of ultra-catholic moralists who run the pension she's staying at. Candle is a fantastic, tense horror that like a lot of Spanish horror of the period deals with the hangover of only recently emerging from the ultra conservative Franco regime. The two sisters logic for their increasingly brutal killings is coldly plausible, and the ending is left to a certain amount of audience interpretation. Apparently this is getting a blu-ray, shall definitely be upgrading this one.

Exorcist 3.

Very, very underrated. Sadly butchered by Morgan's creek who had form for this sort of cultural vandalism its fortunate that in spite of its flawed status, Exorcist 3 still works as a fantastic continuation of the Exorcist and manages to exorcise (sorry!) the memory's of part 2. The blu-ray looks fantastic, really very good indeed. The film has some really intense and creepy sequences that continue William peter blatty's meditations on the nature and reason for evils presence in the world.
Old 16th January 2015, 08:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
How long exactly, is the doc.
According to our player, it runs for 47:36

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!