Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2015, 02:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I loved The Raid but the only thing putting me off the sequel is how long it is, far too long for an action film and I think I'll be fatigued by the end.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th July 2015, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gonna watch Panic In Year Zero (1962) on Sunday on the big screen.
Old 17th July 2015, 11:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

It Follows. This over-hyped horror flick about a teenage girl who catches one hell of an STD - in the form of a monstrous, perpetually pursuing entity that can look like anyone - turns out to be something of a disappointment. There are some effective moments - indeed, pretty much any scene with "It" is pretty freaky and scary, but unfortunately it's the bits in between the monster attacks that leave much to be desired. It's terribly drawn out, and the characters so relentlessly colourless, dreary and non-charismatic that I struggled to maintain much interest until the monster showed up again. Overrated.
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and Buboven like this.
Old 17th July 2015, 11:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To The Devil a Daughter (1976)

Much more decent than I thought it would be considering its reputation.

7/10.
Old 18th July 2015, 04:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dead & Buried from BU, and Friday the 13th - part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, both in HD. I'm still recovering...
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th July 2015, 06:15 AM
Cult Addict

Buckeroo Banzai

Brain surgeon, physicist, martial artist, Rock star and test pilot Buckeroo Banzai (Peter Weller) cracks the eight dimension and in doing so sets in motion the plans of Lord John Whorfin who is possessing the body of Dr. Emilio Lizardo (John Lithgow) who escapes his nut-house confinement to steal the Oscillation overdrive and escape back home. Other Aliens from the same planet/dimension are determined to stop this as Whorfin is basically their Hitler and are prepared to trigger the end of the world to stop him. Only Buckaroo and his team of Hong Kong Cavaliers can stop this!

As nuts as it sounds, BB works really well. Its a film for the internet age made in 1984 that explains why it failed. It pretty much throws a lot of the 'rules' regarding structure and exposition that a lot of Hollywood films of this era had and instead does its own crazy thing as part parody, part pulp adventure and Sci-Fi action movie. It's a film that you only get out of what you put in so I suspect some out there might hate it, others should love it. Certaily its pretty unique and feels like something that today would end up being crowd-funded and potentially a huge hit. Personally I love it, especially Lithgows demented, over the top performance that appears to be channelling mussolini. Great Blu-ray as well.
Old 18th July 2015, 09:21 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
It Follows. This over-hyped horror flick about a teenage girl who catches one hell of an STD - in the form of a monstrous, perpetually pursuing entity that can look like anyone - turns out to be something of a disappointment. There are some effective moments - indeed, pretty much any scene with "It" is pretty freaky and scary, but unfortunately it's the bits in between the monster attacks that leave much to be desired. It's terribly drawn out, and the characters so relentlessly colourless, dreary and non-charismatic that I struggled to maintain much interest until the monster showed up again. Overrated.
I thought some people would feel that way about the film simply because not a great deal happens! I love the atmosphere, the music and the ambiguity about the whole setup (the identity of the naked man on the roof, who appears at the swimming pool is never explained, but it's her father) and the ending is similarly ambiguous and open ended; is he going to die, or spread the curse?

I really liked the score and the 'feel' of the film, with David Robert Mitchell seemingly influenced by Halloween, Night of the Living Dead, The Shining, A Nightmare on Elm Street and even Paris, Texas. One of the things which really stands out is the lack of a definitive period, with technology from the 1960s, '70s, '80s and the modern day in addition to the 'shell' PDA/tablet/communication device, which is quite futuristic, so the film is almost future-retro!
Old 18th July 2015, 10:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Dead & Buried from BU, and Friday the 13th - part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, both in HD. I'm still recovering...
How does the BU of Dead & Buried look mate?
Old 18th July 2015, 11:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

It looks okay! Good in spots and then a noticeable drop in quality. Could be the beer though...
Old 18th July 2015, 05:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Open Grave (2013)

District 9's Sharlto Copley wakes up in a mass grave in the woods. Having no idea who he is or how he got there, he discovers a house with five other people all in the same predicament.

Open Grave is an intriguing horror thriller that should keep you guessing for the most part, allowing it's secrets to slowly unfold as the who's and why's eventually become clearer leading to a mostly satisfying resolution. Although the viewer knows very little of what's about to unfold you never become bored as the film goes at a fair pace and isn't riddled with exposition, whilst the odd gruesome set piece is never far away.

The film sports excellent photography which utilizes the Hungarian woodland locations to great effect. The acting is excellent. Co starring the reliable Thomas Kretschmann and Gotham's Erin Richards, together their performances ensures the film maintains a level of uneasy tension throughout.

Best going into cold, Open Grave is recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!