Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2016, 06:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Hateful Eight at the cinema today. Very good, in general. Obviously light years ahead of much of what passes for movies these days, with great performances and great storytelling, though I do concur with some that perhaps Tarantino's style is becoming a little... predictable these days. I'd like to see him try something completely different for a change.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw The Hateful Eight at the cinema today. Very good, in general. Obviously light years ahead of much of what passes for movies these days, with great performances and great storytelling, though I do concur with some that perhaps Tarantino's style is becoming a little... predictable these days. I'd like to see him try something completely different for a change.
That was my problem with it ultimately. I enjoyed it while it was on but after it had finished I just didn't really feel too bothered about it and I think that's because of his style and the lack of interest you have in the characters on an emotional level. It was like a fast food meal, enjoyable at the time but no real sustenance.
keirarts, trebor8273 and iank like this.
Old 27th January 2016, 11:51 AM
Cult Addict

Mean Guns. Quirky little film this, don't think I've heard such an odd soundtrack on an action film.
A criminal organisation headed up by Ice T's, Vincent Moon have wangled the contact to build a new prison facility. 24 hours before handing it over to the authorities a meeting is set up amongst associates of the organisation. A hundred or so hardened criminals find themselves suddenly locked in the prison with an assortment of weapons to choose from and instructions to kill each other. Last 3 standing will get $10,000,000.
Christopher Lambert plays some sort of assassin type called Lou. That's it.
Simple but entertaining low budget job ably knocked together by Albert Pyun.
I enjoyed it, 101's blu isn't all that though.
Old 27th January 2016, 11:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I did read that he's considering some sort of epic horror film next in the vein of The Exorcist. I really like Tarantino but I'm not convinced his talky style will suit such a project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That was my problem with it ultimately. I enjoyed it while it was on but after it had finished I just didn't really feel too bothered about it and I think that's because of his style and the lack of interest you have in the characters on an emotional level. It was like a fast food meal, enjoyable at the time but no real sustenance.
Old 27th January 2016, 01:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Vacation.
Usually films with two directors can fall into two categories. Ahem. This is quite crude in a Lampoon style, so wasn't as grating as I expected. Helms just as good as he was in Were The Millers though Applegate gives him a run for his money.

Extraction.
How I wished this had been a Stafam film. Then I could have enjoyed it. For die hard Brucers only.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th January 2016, 04:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

A double dose of Spanish 'gialli':

Sexy Cat (1973)

64/100

In the Eye of the Hurricane (El ojo del huracán) (1971)

66/100
Old 28th January 2016, 12:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

SPLINTER (2008)

I was not expecting much from this as I sat down down to watch it, but I thought it was very enjoyable in the end. Some good monster make up effects and you only get to see the main beastie in flashes, so you don't really get a good look of actually what it is. Infected victims look really creepy as their bodies twist around like puppets. If this is a low budget effort than I am impressed.
Old 28th January 2016, 12:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

SPLINTER (2008)

I was not expecting much from this as I sat down down to watch it, but I thought it was very enjoyable in the end. Some good monster make up effects and you only get to see the main beastie in flashes, so you don't really get a good look of actually what it is. Infected victims look really creepy as their bodies twist around like puppets. If this is a low budget effort than I am impressed.
Is that the film Splinter set at a petrol station / convenience store?

If so it's a little gem in my view.
Old 28th January 2016, 12:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yep, that's the one Dem.
Old 28th January 2016, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that the film Splinter set at a petrol station / convenience store?

If so it's a little gem in my view.
Yeah, I really liked this one too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!