Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2016, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

My thoughts exactly, a perfect example of how not to adapt King, see also Kubricks The Shining and the Under The Dome TV series (which went downhill with each season).

Incidentally, the new Hulu exclusive adaptation of 11/22/63 starring James Franco is excellent and well worth seeking out when it airs over here next month, they've changed some elements from the book to suit the format, but so far it remains pretty faithful to Kings novel of the same name
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th March 2016, 12:19 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cujo (1983)
This is one that I have never seen for some reason or other, and I don't think that this review has given me any motivation to change that

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th March 2016, 12:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This is one that I have never seen for some reason or other, and I don't think that this review has given me any motivation to change that

I'd say walking onto a rough council estate during a summers day and staring at a dog locked in a hot car for an hour and a half would be more entertaining
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th March 2016, 12:23 PM
Cult Addict

Personally i thought Cujo was ok, haven't seen it for a while though.
There's no way the novels ending was ever going to make it to the film.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th March 2016, 12:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Personally i thought Cujo was ok, haven't seen it for a while though.

There's no way the novels ending was ever going to make it to the film.

Tbh I'm not a massive fan of the book either, one of his weaker 80's novels IMO
Old 15th March 2016, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Goblins score was one of the things I hated the most haha!
BURN THE HERETIC
mr 420, keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th March 2016, 03:10 PM
Cult Master

Bula Quo

First off, let me say that I am a big fan of The Quo. They are a great rock institution, and any band that has been going for the best part of 50 years [they were formed in 1967] must be doing something correct

This film, however, was painful!

The slim story features the band - well Rossi and Parfitt anyway. The other members are kept very much in the background - witnessing a gang murder in Fiji, and then going on the run from the Mafia with crucial evidence

The acting is laughable; the script pathetic; the editing allover the place - hopefully there were a lot of deleted scenes (not included on the Blu-Ray), because I really do not think that anyone in their right might would seriously approach anyone with a view to getting this piece made

It only came alive for me when the band are playing their songs

Bula Quo - Even if you are a die hard fan of Status Quo, avoid like the plague

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th March 2016, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Bula Quo

First off, let me say that I am a big fan of The Quo. They are a great rock institution, and any band that has been going for the best part of 50 years [they were formed in 1967] must be doing something correct

This film, however, was painful!

The slim story features the band - well Rossi and Parfitt anyway. The other members are kept very much in the background - witnessing a gang murder in Fiji, and then going on the run from the Mafia with crucial evidence

The acting is laughable; the script pathetic; the editing allover the place - hopefully there were a lot of deleted scenes (not included on the Blu-Ray), because I really do not think that anyone in their right might would seriously approach anyone with a view to getting this piece made

It only came alive for me when the band are playing their songs

Bula Quo - Even if you are a die hard fan of Status Quo, avoid like the plague
Mate said something similar. Still doesn't sound as rank as Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park though
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th March 2016, 09:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Tram (1973)

One of two tv movies in the series Door into Darkness directed by Dario Argento.

When a woman is found murdered on a busy city tram, a detective goes to all lengths to figure out how it happened and why nobody witnessed it.

Little seen and not in the best of shape quality wise, but still more than watchable, The Tram is an hour of intriguing giallo mystery. Argento, who also wrote this episode is meticulous in his theorizing thus allowing us into the detective's thought process but not giving any clues before they are worked out onscreen therefore creating amateur crime investigators out of any viewer who carefully goes along with the plot.

This is CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, thirty years before Anthony Zuiker created it.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door into darkness.jpg (30.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 16th March 2016, 09:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

PSYCHO COP – A carload of the usual suspects (i.e young, annoying Americans) fall foul of a satan worshipping cop – stand by for some standard slasher mayhem. Not all that much, though. There are a couple of things about 'Psycho Cop' that I like. Psycho Cop himself is defiantly post-Kruger in his signature, which amounts to little more than pithy put-downs of his victims after each kill. Normally I can't stand that kind of comedy horror bollocks, but in this case there's a lameness to Psycho Cop's pronouncements that's transcendentally awful. Take for example the scene near the end where he rips out a guy's heart – “have a heart,” he says, offering the still beating organ to a screaming person. OK, so that's just cheesy. But nearer the beginning he kills someone who was trying to escape him - “you shouldn't run from the police.” Erm, Psycho Cop, can I just point out to you that that massive serial killer grin on your face is supposed to indicate that you've just said something devastatingly witty. The capper has to be the moment when he, again with a massive comedy horror leer on his face, asks someone if they “need a hand?” Normally, there would be a poor gag in there involving a severed hand. In this case, nothing. Just his outstretched hand. Zen or what? I'm going into some detail here, as 'Psycho Cop' offers pretty slim pickings on most other fronts. It has that flat feel of perfunctory early nineties genre cinema. The acting and the action flow with that feeling. It's all very detached, plastic almost. Nothing much happens for a good hour after we've been introduced to the villain and the kids. This 'nothing much' is a bit bizarre though, as Psycho Cop's idea of a tense build up is to play mind games with his victims involving misplaced personal effects – a good amount of run time showcases a protracted argument about the whereabouts of a bag. Fascinating, or really, really boring? I couldn't quite decide, but again, it's all a bit Zen. When all's said and done, 'Psycho Cop' can't really claim to offer much to those in B-horror mode. There's not enough of the genre staples - tension, thrills, gore. There's just not enough stuff happening. There's not even enough real 'laugh out loud' badness going down. Something's going on though, but it's difficult to say what exactly. Like a mirage with something skewed and twisted behind it. It's like it's broadcasting on a bandwidth different to the one your receiver's picking up. You're tuned in, but what's turning you on? Probably not 'Psycho Cop'. 'Psycho Cop' is a film looking for a state of mind, a 'Psycho Cop' state of mind.

Like this? Share it using the links below!